Which Power Supply for 10 pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mpc, Apr 20, 2015.

1. mpc

mpc Member

I have 10 pedals to be powered on a Pedaltrain PT2, what is my best option to do this? Ideally I would like to point the power supply under the PT2.
    The pedals are all basic 9v 'boss' style powered.

2. mysticaxe

mysticaxe Member

Depending on what they are, almost any of the common ones would work -
    - Voodoo Labs PP2
    - BBE Supa Charger
    - Any of the TRex or Cioks offerings

You may need to daisy chain a few things, but that isn't a problem for most pedals (both from a voltage and a noise perspective).

3. mpc

mpc Member

Its the whole daisy chain thing I'm not getting?

4. 0xeneye

0xeneye Supporting Member

Daisy chaining is using one output of the power supply to power several pedals.

I usually avoid daisy chaining anything except fuzz distortion overdrive (except Klons). Those pedals are simpler in that they just need 9 volts and a few milliamps and are less susceptible to grounding issues.

5. jordane93

jordane93 Member

What are the pedals and what are their mA requirements?

6. popvulture

popvulture Member

I use a PP2 and have gone over 8 pedals by using batteries on my fuzzes. Sounds better with that configuration anyway, IMHO...

7. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Voodoo Lab Power Pedal 2+

8. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Yep that's what you need to know.

9. mpc

mpc Member

The PP2+ only has 8 outputs......

10. fossilfuel

fossilfuel dismember

11. Roe

Roe Member

the new mxr m238 perhaps

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

And depending on which pedals, one of those outputs can power 3-4 of them usually.

Plug this into one outlet and you can power 3 pedals. Usually OD, distortion and SS preamp/booster are ones with low current draw that you can run on a daisy chain, a 10ma, a 25ma and a 50ma will easily run on one 100ma outlet using this cable.
    [​IMG]

But you need to set down, and make a list of all your pedals, what voltage they require and how many ma current they draw. Then you total up that ma current then by a supply that's at least a little bit over that number, preferably 25-30% over.

Then look for a supply that meets that ma draw and has the proper voltage outputs you need. Some pedals can run on 12-18v even though they're rated at 9v, you get more headroom with pedals that can do this, but not all pedals can, list which ones can and if you think you might want to do that. Don't fry a pedal plugging it into a 12v output when it can take it. Some of your pedals may require 12v, you need to find out.

Some digital pedals like delays, chorus ect will want to have a outlet all to themselves or they'll add noise back into a daisy chain setup. Make allowance for them.

There is a lot you need to learn, buying a power supply is not a one size fits all type of thing. Determine what you need and then over buy by a nice margin, nothing worse than buying a supply and then adding 2 more or a certain higher current draw pedal down line and having to go buy another power supply.

13. augur

augur Member

Voodoo Lab PP2 + 2 output splitters
    I run 11 pedals on it and have no problem of noise at all.
    Just check there is enough mA per output to run all of your pedals (especially if you have numeric pedals).