Which Power Supply for this Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by $tratcat, Mar 13, 2015.

1. $tratcat

$tratcat Member

I bought a PT Jr. and put together the picture below using the Pedalboard Planner (the Bad Monkey is really a DOD Envelope Filter, Maxon 1 is an SD-9 and Maxon 2 is a Dover Drive - the pedal pics just weren't there). Primarily due to the Timeline and future additions, I want to buy a power supply that will work for these pedals as well as any mods down the road, if I chose to add other digital units, for example. Less than $200 would be ideal. I'd like to run The Depths at 18 volt.
    Also, (and please excuse my inexperience) I was considering purchasing the Planet Waves cable kit through Amazon, but it only comes with 5 pairs of right-angle connections, although 10 feet of cable should suffice. Are there better alternatives, i.e. purchasing custom lengths of cable with any number of straight/right-angle plugs? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

3. jordane93

jordane93 Member

This or a Voodoo Lab Mondo.

4. jbright44

jbright44 Member

If you don't have soldering skills you can go with George L's or Lava solder less cable kit.

Agree with the Voodoo lab Mundo power supply

5. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

a mondo under a jr? Yes you will be ready for anything with a mondo, but seems like overkill given the board size. Though I'm not sure that what you have in the pictures is going to fit on a junior, sure the pedals fit, but will the cables fit in between the pedals, most notably the EP booster. Unless the DOD is significantly smaller than the bad monkey, your gonna have a hard time finding cables that will fit between there, especially solderless ones, the pancake plugs might, but that still looks pretty tight.

Which of these pedals do you own currently? Because my suggestion is if your planning for the future, to go with something like the Cioks Link series of power supplies, then you can always upgrade down the road. A schizophrenic would cover most of the board, other than the timeline, but you could buy the curtesy mains output to attach on the end of the schizo and use the wall wart of the timeline to fix that, if you have a number of low current drives, you can buy one of their 3way daisy connectors and run 3 pedals off of one tap. The schizo also has 2 switchable channels for 18v.

For the pedals that you have in the photo, that would mean a schizo would suffice if you used my suggestion, and if you upgraded to a bigger board, you could get a big john or a second schizo or whatever would work best from there product line.

As for the mondo, I would suggest a 4x4 or PP digital with some daisy cables, The DC10 is also still a good suggestion as well. The mondo however, just seems like too much, unless you absolutely know that your going to buy a PT pro and load it up with over a dozen pedals.

I have had good luck with George L's, but they do have there issues, they tend to loose there ground connection if you move the cables around a lot (ex: plugging and unplugging frequently, even movement from transport can cause some issues). When I bought my kits, they went for $50, so it was a pretty good deal, now at $80, I don't think theyre worth it. I'd look into lava tightrope, there plugs are also smaller than george l's, (which the overall height of the plug body, plus the rubber caps, makes those plugs over 3/4 of an inch in height, no way that'll fit between the timeline/ep/DOD). If money is no object, I have never heard a bad thing about evidence SIS cable kits. But they'll run you about $100 for 10 plugs and 10 feet of cable.

6. riversisblue

riversisblue Member

Gig rig modular power supply. Most flexible supply on the market.

7. jordane93

jordane93 Member

This is TGP. The OP will upgrade to a PT-Pro soon enough.

8. flatnine

flatnine Supporting Member

Planet Waves cables are super easy to build but they take up TONS of space. By using Lava I've been able to add another pedal or two to boards that I've built.

Also +1 for GigRig. Expensive but super lightweight and modular so you can add or subtract pretty easy.