Which Pre 1970 Fender Has the Best Cleans for ES 335 P.A.F ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gillman royce, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

A BF or SF Fender Twin Reverb have the best cleans.

2. Goldtop

Goldtop Member

BF Pro, Twin or Showman...I loved my 66 Pro reverb just a great amp

3. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

335 + Super Reverb = Sweet, sweet tone.

silver surfer, jcs and MoBigBro like this.
  4. tymish

tymish Member

Well sure, especially with a pair of EVs in them. But who the heck wants to lift it?

5. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

+1 with that in my experience also.
    There was a time when I was playing a pair of 60's Twin Reverb for clean tone, sounded fantastic even when setup quite low as Hogy is describing.

I find I almost always prefer to use as big amps as possible when in need of good clean tones, at least when playing live.

jcs likes this.
  6. jcs

jcs Member

There is a local blues guy Nick Schnebelen (formerly of Trampled Under Foot) this guy works with Mike Finnigan in an LA studio as well as live work.

Anyhow he recently got BOTH of his Super Reverbs serviced and played a smaller club before he set out for a national tour and MAN what a tone he is getting even though the amps arent turned up loud, the pair of 4x10 SR amps just work for really fat cleans at decent volumes, take that sound guys who think a Deluxe Reverb needs to be set at 3 on the volume

I just love my 71 SFSR (that is partially blackfaced) but the key on mine is the SS rectifier mod for extra headroom (no the amp still sings and is not stiff in feel).

I think Twin Reverbs are great at just cleans but seem fussy about speakers....bonus, you can find them all over for cheap....me? i will stick with the 71 SFSR, a 66 NR Princeton and 63 Tremolux thru a 4 ohm Marshall 4x12....straight cleans though, a Showman or TR rule but some stock Fender speakers are lacking in these amps imho

7. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

+1 also actually on the speakers, my '64 Twin Reverb had changed/reconed ones (can't remember exact make/model from the top of my mind), some of the very best clean tones I've ever got.

8. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

Thanks guys - seems like it's a race between the Twin and Super Reverb at the moment.

zenas likes this.
  9. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

yeah, twin is a great home amp. paid 7 bills for mine, came with celestions and casters, and for two reasons, it’s goin’ nowhere.

10. tymish

tymish Member

If you don't need to move them or don't mind, these will do the tube clean thing nicely with that classic Fender scooped EQ. The Super has just a weensy hair more power than the 2 x10" Vibrolux Reverb but the extra two 10s give some more bottom end and volume. I would usually prefer blackface circuit. If you want vintage on a budget look at a Showman head. Pretty much a Twin without the speakers.

It all depends on just how much clean volume you need and how clean you want it weighed against portability and space consideration. . Yes 2x12s or 4 x 10s give you a bit more bass than 2x10s. 85 watt Twin vs 35-40 watt Vibrolux gives just a bit more clean headroom. Remember the rule, you need 10 watts to be about twice as loud as 1 watt, 100 watts to be twice as loud as 10 watts, 1000 etc etc.

Loudest biggest sounding clean tube amp I've ever owned was an Ampeg VT-22. Even heavier than a Twin. It was a monster and loud! More midrange than a Fender but it had a far fancier EQ circuit so you could get very close to the Fender tone from it with tweaking.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  11. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

Oh man, don't remind me about the Ampeg - my back still aches ! LOL !! Yeah, a single Showman with a JBL or EV 15" would be another way to go. I'm used to BF Bandmasters and Blonde Bassman tops but not with 335's. Thx for the thoughts !

12. DRS

DRS Member

Super Reverb
    Twin Reverb

13. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Favorite clean I'ver ever heard, which isn't exactly squeaky clean, is my '58 high powered tweed Twin. 80 watts of luscious overtones and sweet warmth.

Of course, I cheated a little when I rebuilt it last year... I used neodymium speakers, a Jensen 12-100 and a Celestion Neo Creamback. So, my HP Twin weighs in at a svelt 46 lbs.

zenas likes this.
  14. 71strat

71strat Member

For portability, but still isn't light, but very clean.

Dual Showman RVB Head, and get 1 x 12 JBL E120, and run a mismatch. You can run an 8 ohm speaker with the 4 ohm head with no problems. And it will reduce the volume by 30w-40w. Or run 2 x 1 x 12. No much cleaner than a JBL E120, and is also 103db-1w-1m. 150w. JBL E130-105db-1w-1m 150w.

A Dual Showman RVB is exactly the same amp as Twn Rvb. If you get a Blackfaced, NON Rvb, you can also jump the channels like a Marshall. The Rvb in Fender amps make them out of phase if you channel jump, or one can use a Barber Launch Pad to correct this issue.

Another super clean amp is a Hi-Tone DG50-DG100 Even cleaner than a Dual Showman/Twn Rvb. Use Hi Tone Cresendo A 150w.

15. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

THX!

16. LARRY GERSHON

LARRY GERSHON Silver Supporting Member

Sup
    Super reverb by the way I got a 68 Vintage super reverb for sale all blackface inside $985.00

17. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

With my 335 I gig with a 61 Blonde Bassman (Normal channel) and a Celestion Alnico Cream 112 cab. Great combination, light and fairly portable

18. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

Ah, now you're gonna make me cry. I traded my Blonde top in the '70's. One of the worst decisions I ever made.

19. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

I know we’re deep into personal preference land here, but I think the cleans on any of the classic 4x10 Fenders really highlight what I love about 335’s and make them different from a Les Paul or an ES-175. I slightly prefer a nice brown Concert with an external tank or tape delay, but things will also go very right if you can run a nice Super Reverb in tandem with a nice tweed Bassman.

If you don’t want 10” speakers, I also like tweed twins (both 5f8a and 5e8a - different, but both nice), for that application. I also had a wonderful Dual Showman with a pair of 15” JBLs and a BF Pro Reverb that someone put a larger (bassman, maybe) output transformer in, both of which did a great job of highlighting that 335 character in clean settings.

20. zacmac

zacmac Supporting Member

8ohm speaker?