Which Princeton Reverb Clone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PotterPicker, Jan 30, 2012.

1. PotterPicker

PotterPicker Member

I have wanted a Princeton Reverb clone forever and now is the time... Just sold some amps and, for once, have the money! My problem is there are lots of highly recommended choices, but I can't audition any! So I will buy based on reputation and clips...

Here are my choices and a bit about why I think I like each one.

• Allen Sweet Spot - I like the options, like the mid control and the ability to use 6L6 tubes for more power
    • Vintage Sound Amps - Again, flexibility
    • Gries 12 - I have just read so many good things about Dave Gries.
    • Magic Amps - Vibro Prince - Again, have heard so many good things about Michael Moody.
    • Clark Amplification - Kanee Reverb - I own a Beaufort and love it!
    • Morgan PR12 - I know not strictly blackface, but appealing to me.
    • Lil' Dawg - WonderDawg - I know it's not a PR clone, but the right wattage and blackface...
    • Keedy Amplification - Relativity Reverb (my favorite name!)
    • Tube Tone Princeton or Princeton Plus - I like the flexibility of these builds and the option of putting a dwell control on the reverb.
    I'm sure there are more choices out there, but these are the ones I have been considering. I'm looking for your experiences and recommendations.

I'm also tempted to go for a Tone King Metropolitan. I know it's not a Princeton, and it is really too pricey for me, but it has blackface tone and great power scaling. This would bring the volume in line with a Princeton and give me a lot more versatility.

Sell me your used PR clone! If you have one of these for sale, PM or email me... Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

My vote would be for the Magic Vibro Prince, and I have had a few of the amps mentioned. We are lucky to have the choices we do and every one of the amps mentioned are nice amps. The Vibro Prince to my ears sounded the best and ended my quest for a Princeton Reverb type amp. Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy what ever you end up with.

3. Wombat

Wombat Supporting Member

Plenty of great ones in your list. I'm happy with my Headstrong Lil King. To get the true Princeton vibe though, you might want to stick with a 10" speaker. Even though some of the above give you the option for a 12", the 10" is part of the mojo (IMHO.)

4. jmonk99

jmonk99 Supporting Member

A friend and I once A/Bed his 65' and my 70' PRs against 2 of the amps you mentioned. All the amps sounded GREAT, but the vintage PRs stole the show.

I had sent my 70' down to David Allen for a once over(and Stokes Mod) and it sounds incredable. He also can do a Mid/Raw control on a vintage if your interested.

5. PotterPicker

PotterPicker Member

Thanks for all the reply's!

Ryhlick - My gut and something I read told me the Magic Vibro Prince was one of the best.

Wombat - I think Headstrong was the first company I heard of that was doing Princeton clones. My gut tells me to go with a 12", but I've heard others say what you are saying about 10's. How would you describe the difference?

tnt365 - Have you had personal experience with the Lexington Reverb? Would have not even thought of it as a choice. Sounds pretty good, however.

jmonk99 - I was shying away from vintage, but maybe I should reconsider that...

6. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

It depends on how close you want to stay to a vintage Princeton Reverb. I love a good Princeton Reverb but I definitely prefer more versatile amps that will do a Princeton Reverb plus other amps, tweed, more power, etc... like a RedPlate.

7. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

I own it, but am selling it right now in the emporium. I might do a demo of the amp. Every person who has played through it has been amazed/surprised by the Lexington. Tons of texture in the mid frequencies, resulting in a lot of depth, warmth and clarity. That video I posted must have the RAW switch engaged, it sounds a lot darker and cleaner with a lot more headroom when the RAW switch is off. I prefer the RAW switch off myself, but I don't plug straight in for that raw blues tone. I really can't compliment the amp enough without sounding like a fanboy, but the reverb is also very good. Cheers!

8. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I did not know about the Keedy, so thanks (as in "thanks a lot" for adding to my torture with more choices) ;)

9. PotterPicker

PotterPicker Member

njanssen - It seems like more signs are pointing to Vintage Sound. I emailed Rick this afternoon and we've already sent emails back and forth twice.

GTR Johnny - My gut says that Keedy amps are great, but they are the underdog of this group.

10. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Dunno... I imagine I'd be happy with just about any of the, though if I had to order today, I'd go with the Sweet Spot.

Sometime either this year or next, I'll get something in this ballpark or maybe slightly bigger. I'm sort of thinking of the Accomplice though the Sweet Spot or the Keedy Relativity both seem interesting. Just not sure if I'd rather save the few $$$ with the Keedy vs the more 'proven' Allen.

Getting an amp with a 1x12 is an absolute requirement for me though. I dig the Princeton vibe but everyone I've ever played... I've always wished it was just a touch bigger and had just a touch more bottom end so I guess I'm really looking for something more in the 'between the Princeton and Deluxe' category.

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have a Magic Amps Vibro Prince and have owned 3 BF Princeton Reverbs in the past. The Vibro Prince is amazing!

12. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

I would have to agree :agree I have owned the Vintage Sound, Allen, 3 Headstrong LiL King's, a few originals, (should of never sold my 67), and have played a few different clones. The Vibro Prince is the only one that has come close to the tone and feel of my 67 that I sold. I do not know what he does, but that amp and speaker he uses is the best PR style amp I have heard and played to date.

13. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

I have had a Allen Encore, Accomplice, Sweet Spot and Hot Fudge with Nuts. They are well designed amps all based of the different Fender amps.

Curious if you have played a Princeton Reverb from Fender? I really miss my 1966 and I will someday get an early 70s one. The original doesn't cost that much if you get a mid-late 1970s model. Yes it has a boost function but you don't have to use it.

14. PotterPicker

PotterPicker Member

I played a 64 PR briefly and it bloomed like no amp I have ever played before! Only had a chance to play at low volume, however. In spite of that fact, I'm not that interested in Fender as a brand, even though Fender was a vastly different company in the 60's.

I can't help it... I'm intrigued with boutique builders. I like the idea of one person (or a small team) working to fulfill their passion and build the best product they can, rather than the traditional business plan where the bottom line is king... I just read the biography of Steve Jobs and now I feel that way even stronger than I ever did before...

15. PotterPicker

PotterPicker Member

Even though a Princeton clone is basically a re-make of the vision of Leo Fender, I like the idea of buying a product created through one person's passion. I also like the idea that I can communicate with the builder and that there is always the potential of it being improved upon as he refines his product...

16. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

I can vouch for Raybob at Tube Tone. I just recently (about 2 months ago) got a Deluxe Reverb from him and it is an awesome amp. Wasn't sure how much I'd like it but it's definately my main amp now and it makes me sound like a million bucks.

17. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Build your own for $600?, getting ready to start one for myself, fun hobby. Just a thought.

18. PotterPicker

PotterPicker Member

Badfrog - Thanks for the word on Tube Tone!

littlejohn - I would love to build an amp, but I don't have the knowledge. I can solder and know the difference between resistors and capacitors, but if I did build an amp I'd need to start with something a bit simpler...

19. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Just a thought... couldn't you buy a SF Princeton Reverb in very good/excellent condition & have it blackfaced for about a grand total?

20. PotterPicker

PotterPicker Member

Most of the SF Princeton Reverbs that I have seen are in the 1100 - 1400 range. Maybe if its late 70's you might find it under a grand. I imagine servicing and blackfacing would probably run at least 300.