• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Which Princeton should I get?

charley

Gold Supporting Member
I’m looking to get a Princeton of some sort. My main uses will be for home recording, but I will probably end up doing some lower volume gigs with it once things start opening up here in CA.

I already own a 1965 Deluxe Non Reverb, a 66 Pro Reverb, and a 66 Bassman. I love the Fender sound!

I’m torn between looking for a vintage Princeton Reverb, or buying one of the many modern versions such as the 64 Handwired, the Chris Stapleton, or else something from a smaller builder like Lil Dawg or Vintage Sound.

Budget is right around $2K

looking for experiences, opinions, etc..,

thanks!

davidespinosa

Silver Supporting Member
Agree with dcbc -- sound-wise, you're already there.
But if you're collecting, a vintage BFPR or BFPNR.

Last edited:

Jack Dotson

Silver Supporting Member
Hard to best vintage sound amps 15 or 20.
+ 1

Really like my V15 and if you’re looking for a model with reverb, Trem, mid control, bias points, etc., these are really hard to beat. But, if best sound trumps features, I’d go with the Morgan PR 12, or better yet, the JS 12.

So IMO, V15/20 bang for the buck, Morgan best sound.

DJ_61

Gold Supporting Member
+ 1

Really like my V15 and if you’re looking for a model with reverb, Trem, mid control, bias points, etc., these are really hard to beat. But, if best sound trumps features, I’d go with the Morgan PR 12, or better yet, the JS 12.

So IMO, V15/20 bang for the buck, Morgan best sound.
True, the Morgan is a beast.

ken374

I was thinking about the handwired ones or the CS version its a nice chunk of change so I seen GC had the tweed one with the 12in G12-65 I bought it last week. After a good few hours in it sounds great! Hope the quality holds up.

silver surfer

Since you do have blackface Fender covered, maybe check out the Penguin from Cutthroat Audio. It is a brown Princeton clone with several very usable tweaks. The builder Ron is excellent to work with and his builds are excellent. As compared to a Princeton Reverb (I have a 1966) you get a richer tone with a little more mid - a beautiful clean and an awesome cranked tone. But with various available tweaks you can get other tones in the Marshall and Fender tweed ballpark. With the NFB switch on 5E3 I can get a clean similar to a blackface tone. On the 6G2 setting it is classic brownface tone. There are several threads here that discuss the amp.

Stratburst70

I really like the PRRI with a 12” speaker, like the Cannabis Rex. Some argue that you lose some high end but the increased headroom and more distinct lows make up for it.

jim lavender

I've got a Vintage Sound 15 and a Lil Dawg Wonderdawg which Is take any day over the 65 PRRI. Jim at Lil Dawg also builds Brown amps and if memory serves his Brown Princeton (Chocoprince) is only about $1200 shipped.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
You could probably get a silverface 67-69 PR for around $2k in pretty original condition. I'd go for that, or be patient, and spend slightly more, and you could probably get blackface PR for $2500ish. I'd go with one of those two options, myself.

bobcs71

I went with a BF Princeton NR when I had a similar decision.

If I had the option again it would be vintage or a Vintage Sound amp depending on how much I would gig with it and how much collectability matters.

I would likely go vintage again unless an alternative had modern features like power scaling.

Salfordlad

Just get a SF PR without the push/pull pot. Just as good as a BF IMO. I bought my '69 for $600 about seven years ago. Probably get a nice one for around $1200. For gigging the PRRI do the job and are cheap.

Trending Topics