• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Which PRS with trem would be nice for me?

GiorgioV

I'm thinking about getting a "modern" guitar and PRS look interesting to me, but I'm not that familiar with the brand and all the various models so I'm a bit stumped about specs.

I want something from the core line (or equivalent from the past, since I'm definitely buying used), and it has to have:

- trem

- prs typical scale lenght

- neck that is close to a Gibson 59 profile, I can't play necks that are too thin.

Budget is 2500 or below and I would prefer double cuts and 24 frets.

I'm somewhat familiar with the custom line and was interested in a custom 24 mostly but I've heard that fatter necks are super rare (wide fat I think?). I also considered the DGT but they are a bit too pricey and also I've heard they are spec'd to sound more like a Les Paul which I'm not that interested into (I do have my LP already). Santanas supposedly have fat necks but they have a short scale lenght and also I hate the inlay on the top that most seem to have.

I can give up the 24 frets and look for a custom 22 which - if I understand correctly - are more likely to have the wide fat necks, but there's also lots of other models that I'm not familiar with that might be ok with me? Modern Eagle, 509, I have no idea about the specs of any of this more "obscure" (to me at least) models...

MjS88

What are you looking for sound wise?

Custom 22 comes to mind if you’re willing to let 24 frets go, or try to find a CU24 with a wide fat neck.

For what it’s worth: I thought I only liked the PRS wide fat, but I’ve come around since playing a couple of wide thins. They aren’t super thin, more like regular thickness if you ask me. Since then, I bought a CU24 Floyd and couldn’t be happier.

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
My DGT did not really sound like a Les Paul. It was more vintage sounding, but it was its own sort of tone. I’d try one out. They are phenomenal guitars.

GiorgioV

What are you looking for sound wise?
I don't really have a specific objective tone-wise. It's a guitar I'd mostly buy because of playability and variety and to have something with trem. As long as it has a clear tone suitable for rock I'd be happy.

I've heard good things about the 58/07 pickups but it's not a dealbreaker. I'd stay away from SSS tho.

Production Custom 24s come with either a pattern thin or pattern regular neck. The pattern regular is a bit thicker and narrower at the nut than pattern thin, but not 59 thick like you’re looking for. Since you’re going used I’d probably keep an eye out for a McCarty trem with a wide fat neck.

Trending Topics