Which Reamp Unit ?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Baminated, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Baminated

Baminated Member

Not looking for "cheap", but not "boutique" either - just something that's a good value for the money, if that makes any sense

2. born_hard

born_hard Member

-Michael Wagener Studio Tool MW1 (DI and Reamp box; all in one)
    -Radial (separate DI and Reamp boxes)

3. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

I use the MW1, if someone stole it, i'd buy it again. DI sounds great, and the "real-amp" circuit sounds just like i played the guitar through the amp...so it works for me.

I plan on getting the Radial as well, but as born_hard touched on, you'd have to get the separate DI and Reamp box which would get you around the price of the MW1 anyway. I've already got a bunch of DI's now, so i'd just be getting the Radial Reamp box next...

4. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

+1 I'd hit the "Like" button if I could. I really just entered these last two sentences b/c the system wouldn't let me just enter "+1".

:p

5. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

I use the Radial X-Amp

I've always been pleased with Radial stuff - never had any issues, always good sound quality.

6. Reason

Reason Member

DITTO! I can't live without my MW1. It does a lot more than reamping too. Get one!

7. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I hate to jump on the bandwagon but count me as a MW-1 fan. For guitar DI and reamp duties, I haven't found anything better.

8. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

+100 on the Radial X-Amp. Can't say enough about Radial products. I've been using them for many years, and not a single issue ever.

The MW1 would be nice, and it's a great value for what it does, but it's a little overkill for me personally. But I'd like to have one. :)

9. Baminated

Baminated Member

Cool, yeah the MW is a bit out of range - i have DI's - so it's looking like the radial.

Here's what I want to do, chase down my many takes like guitar solos at home, record it to reamp file, then go to a real studio, and just set my amps up there and play the reamped file from home through the amps

What's the diff between the pro RMP & the X-amp ?

10. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

X amp is active.

11. jmoose

jmoose Member

If that's the plan then why do YOU need to buy a ReAmp box? Why not use the studio/producers gear and save a few hundred bucks? Better off getting a good DI to capture a good source...

Technically speaking, aside from a drop in level all that's really needed to ReAmp is a lo Z to hi Z impedance transformer, maybe $15 at Radio Shack.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--AUTCP8201

12. romeintmed

romeintmed Member

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Re-amp feature on the Eleven rack compared to the MW1 or the radial reamp?

13. Baminated

Baminated Member

Cool, thanks for the suggestion

This is why

It takes me millions of takes to nail a solo the way I want it - if i do it at a studio, the cost would be out the wazoo for billable hours.

If i bring the direct files to the studio w/my amps, then i can set them up in a real, treated room designed for acoustics, then simply record the pre-recorded track from home at the studio

I don't know how to accomplish that at home w/o the reamp box/DI

Does that sound unreasonable ?

14. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Ok let me shed some light on the confusion, jmoose was saying if you're going to do the actual reamping at the studio, why not pick a studio that has a reamping device? A lot of them should have at least the Radial. As far as the home recordings, thats ONLY DI. Obviously if you're just going to a minimalist studio for basic use of the room and you plan to use your own stuff, then the reamp box would come into the equation.

Specifically jmoose was saying why not purchase a better DI for you to record the stuff in at home and just pick a studio that has a reamp device so you can push it back out.

15. Baminated

Baminated Member

Ahhhhhhh - got it ! So is that Radial DI pretty decent ?

16. nangillala

nangillala Member

Yesterday we did some reamping including some tests which should show which gear worked best.
    In ascending order:
    Interface Out -> Axe FX
    Interface Out -> Cheap DI reversed -> Axe Fx
    Interface Out -> Palmer Daccapo -> Axe Fx

There was a notable difference between the boxes and the Daccapo did what it should do. Very solid box, can be switched from -10 to +4 and has a gain fine tuning knob.

I would recommend this as a mid-price alternative. I often read the Radial should be vary good but produce a sound on its own (which most seem to like).

17. Baminated

Baminated Member

cool, I own quite a few pieces by Palmer. However, there seems to be a most unusual problem :
    The dacappo is not available on their USA site, but is available everywhere else in the world besides US. what gives ?

18. nangillala

nangillala Member

:huh
    That seems odd. Maybe just write a mail and ask about it. Please report back which box you chose and why.

19. Baminated

Baminated Member

yup - not on the web - i got the 2nd to last one in stock - i have quite a few other palmer pieces - so I was sold !