Which reverb for this huge sound?

derpsnerf

The reverb in this song is so huge and ethereal. I saw them, Twin Limb, open for Jim James back in November and I was in a trance their entire set. The sound was huge and very emotional. The reverb gets going at 3:30 and then picks up quite a bit at 4:10. Any suggestions?

-Empire

I do this type of sound all the time. A heavy mix analog or tape delay on a highish feedback setting into any sort of hall reverb with a high mix and >5 second time setting will get you there. Tremolo pick on the low E and A strings.

Before switching to Helix, for this sound I used a Digitech Obscura delay on the analog mode into a Boss RV-6 on the modulate mode. It's important to choose pedals with tails for these types of sounds so the delay and reverb can fade out naturally when you switch to the next part of the song, instead of cutting off abruptly which is very jarring.

jrw32

Agree with others here...mix delay and reverb, hall or plate type. I use a Pigtronix Echolution 2 and Strymon Flint for these types of tones/textures.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
Sounds like there may be some shimmer in there as well, but the primary reverb is definitely large Hall-type at or near 100% wet. I would probably go tape (or maybe bright analog) delay with short-ish delay, long repeats, and low mix (Nemesis would be my choice), into a shimmer verb (Neunaber would be my choice, but you could probably get by with the RV-6) at low mix, into a good Hall verb (Neunaber, SA Dimension, or Digitech Polara would be my choice, but there are plenty of options out there) with high mix and long-ish decay.

Another possible way to get into this neighborhood is to go a little more The Edge (circa Achtung Baby) and cascade two delays and a mod reverb (This is the Who's Going to Ride Your Wild Horses kind of wall-of-sound.). This can be done with a Flashback in 2290 mode with 1/4+.1/8 subdivision into an Alter Ego in EchoRec2 with 1/4+.1/8 subdivisions into modulated reverb (RV-6, MXR M-300, SA Dimension all have great modulated reverbs) with long decay and high mix. With this approach, the sound will be less bright and individuals notes will be a less distinct, but you get a great kind of sonic wind effect.

derpsnerf

Sounds like there may be some shimmer in there as well, but the primary reverb is definitely large Hall-type at or near 100% wet. I would probably go tape (or maybe bright analog) delay with short-ish delay, long repeats, and low mix (Nemesis would be my choice), into a shimmer verb (Neunaber would be my choice, but you could probably get by with the RV-6) at low mix, into a good Hall verb (Neunaber, SA Dimension, or Digitech Polara would be my choice, but there are plenty of options out there) with high mix and long-ish decay.

Another possible way to get into this neighborhood is to go a little more The Edge (circa Achtung Baby) and cascade two delays and a mod reverb (This is the Who's Going to Ride Your Wild Horses kind of wall-of-sound.). This can be done with a Flashback in 2290 mode with 1/4+.1/8 subdivision into an Alter Ego in EchoRec2 with 1/4+.1/8 subdivisions into modulated reverb (RV-6, MXR M-300, SA Dimension all have great modulated reverbs) with long decay and high mix. With this approach, the sound will be less bright and individuals notes will be a less distinct, but you get a great kind of sonic wind effect.

Very cool! Thanks

derpsnerf

I've decided to get a Big Sky...the guitar player for that song has one on his board so why not.

olejason

The reverb in this song is so huge and ethereal. I saw them, Twin Limb, open for Jim James back in November and I was in a trance their entire set. The sound was huge and very emotional. The reverb gets going at 3:30 and then picks up quite a bit at 4:10. Any suggestions?

They're from here in town. The guitarist has a ton of pedals in his studio but when they play live they use the big Strymon pedal IIRC. Nice guys and gals.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom