Which reverb fx unit?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Pont68, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Pont68

Pont68 Member

I've been debating between: TC Electronic M-ONE XL, G Major, Lexicon mpx-1, or possibly Kurzweil Rumour. I'll be using it as an insert w/a Digi 002 Rack and it will be used mainly for Guitars and Bass but will also be used for Vocals and Drums. Creating space and dimension for my mixes is my main concern and my main concern is reverb even though some delay or chorus may be nice if it doesn't affect the reverb. I've settled on hardware as opposed to a plug-in but won't have a chance to listen to all the boxes before I buy. Any opinions on which unit has the best reverb for the money.

2. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Of the devices listed I'd say that the Rumour would be the best. I'd recommend checking out some samples though (you mght be able to do this online, either using convolution pluggins, or some other tools), because tastes in reverb tend to vary.

FWIW, the M1, Gmaj, and MPX1 are not dedicated verb boxes, whereas the rumour is. Also, the rumour is a derivative of the KSP8 reverb (a flagship model) whereas the other units mentioned are not derivatives of TC or Lexicon's flagship models.

Cheers

Kris

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I have a M-One and a Kurzweil and the Kurzweil is in another class.

4. Pont68

Pont68 Member

Thanks for the info. I've heard good things about the unit but haven't seen it around that often. Anyone compare it directly to the Lexicon MPX-1?

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I have not used the Kurzweil, but I have a MPX-1 and I feel it's a great multi-purpose reverb unit. Keep in mind that it doesn't matter so much how amazing they sound by themselves, it's how well they work in a mix. There might be a pro audio store someplace where you can hook them both up in ProTools and do a comparison.

6. Abe

Abe Member

Here's a rather surprizing old favorite of mine....

A digitech TSR-24 or the slightly newer TSR-24S.

I know Digitech isn't too renowned around here but this really is a superb piece. And you can pick one up for under $200. Its a deep unit and its a dedicated reverb box. You really need to learn how to program your own algorithms with it to get the most from it. The stock presets are ok but its once you dig in that it really shines.

Give it a try. You can't really go wrong for the price. Just because its older (mid, late 90's), don't assume that its like an SPX-90 or something. I really would put it up against alot of the higher end 'verbs. Good luck!

Abe

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I don't know it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

OFF TOPIC (DigiTech content) - I have a VCS-1 stereo tube compressor that I've been getting deeper into and digging a lot. It has none of the trappings of high end gear. Its housing and dials are mostly plastic, it sold new for (I think) ~$800, but it's really versatile and sounds great. Last week I used it for the first time tracking vocals for a paying client (background, but vocals nonetheless) and I loved it. Who'd a thunk it?

8. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Speaking of 'oldie's but goodies' here are some other good reverbs that you might find available cheap used:

- Roland SRV-2000 (nice plates, dark, but dense, great non-linear verb, good for drums)
    - Roland SRV-330 (tons and tons of presets, and good sound...not as dense as a lexicon, but still a nice reverb)...strangely, it's successor, the SRV3030 was terrible.
    - Lexicon LXP-15II still a decent performer....
    - Lexicon PCM70...won't be cheap, but still might be in budget...these are studio standards

There are others, but I can't think of them now....

Cheers

Kris

9. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

...and some folks swore by those Alesis Wedges. I used one in a studio in VT and was pretty impressed.

10. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

oh...older Sony units like the R7 (I think), and DPS-77 were pretty good.

Also, Dynacords were good too...DRP15, and the DRP20

Cheers

Kris

11. Pont68

Pont68 Member

I found some places that have decent prices on the Kurzweil. My main question is whether is does good transparent room sound. As much as I want a unit that can do nice lush reverbs I'm also concern with just being able to get a not so obvious effect to add some depth to my recordings. I live in Seattle but haven't been here long. Does anyone know any good local pro audio places that might be in the area?