1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Which Reverb Pedal, Boss or EH

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bosstone, Jun 4, 2008.

1. bosstone

bosstone Member

I just saw a You Tube with Bonamassa showing his pedals. He uses a Boss Reverb but I never hear anyone talking about them and the reviews I have seen aren't that good. Hearing is believing though and his sound is fantastic though admittedly there is a lot going on with other pedals simultaneously, including a Boss DD3 delay. I has an EH Holy Grail a while back and thought for $99.00 it was surprisingly good but sold it. I even used the wacky "Flerb" effect it had at a very low setting and found it very usable too. Now I have a need for a reverb pedal again. Which way should I go.

2. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I really liked the original Holy Grail and used it in the effects loop as my main amp reverb for several years before installing a new spring reverb. I only had the knob turned up maybe about 20% and I thought it sounded very natural. I've heard people complain about noise issues with the HG, but I never had that problem. You do have to make sure you use the included adaptor, though.

3. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

I have both the Boss RV-3 reverb and the EHX Holier Grail reverb pedals. I love 'em both! The RV-3 does reverb, delay and delay + reverb, so it's versatile. But the Holier Grail is pretty versatile too in that it does different types of reverb (hall, room, spring, etc.) and you can add a gate or reverse gate to your reverb. RV-3 has a much smaller footprint, so that's a consideration.

4. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I have owned both...still own the boss rv-5...got rid of the holy hiss...that pedal was a noisy mess...I exchanged it for another and the second one was a hiss monster...(this was about a year ago) now I own the boss...digitech digiverb is another surprisingly good reverb pedal...

I was told that eh pedals were noisy but my little big muff and metal muff arent...the holy grail sure as hell was...

5. never-enough

never-enough Member

i had a rv3 and a holy grail.
    the rv3 was much quieter, no contest. also much more versatile.
    the holy grail has a bit more "character" to its verb sound tho.

6. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Holier grail is quite a bit more versatile than the Holy Grail; likely quieter too, although I have never tried a Holy Grail.

7. billybling

billybling Member

I'm all about the RV-5. It's great in front of my 1974x and 1962 Blues Breaker. It's also fabulous in the effects loop of my 2553 Marshall Jubilee. It's definitely flexible...........sounds great too. I use the Modulation Reverb setting. Always.

8. cray2008

cray2008 Member

can u post the link to that Joe Bonamassa pedal video?

9. Medication

Medication Member

Had an RV-3. Sold it.
    Bought a Holy Grail. Sold it.
    Bought a Line 6 Verbzilla. Sold it.
    Bought another Holy Grail. Like it.

I liked the Verbzilla MUCH more than the RV-3, but it was too much tweaking for me (which is great for versatility, but not when you have 5-10 min to get set up).

I'm quite happy with the Grail, it doesn't get overly "cloudy," and it's 1 knob BUT you have to use the goofy adapter.

The Verbzilla kinda goofed up my bypass tone (you could hear a fixed-flange sound when amp volume was turned up fairly high).

RV-3 was the nosiest one out of all.

10. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Definitely go RV-5.... I can't find a bad sound with it. I like the tone knob to mellow out the delay sometimes.

11. bosstone

bosstone Member

It looks like Boss is only making the RV-5 now.

12. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

if you can go boutique get a dr. scientist reverberator... beautiful, beautiful tone.

13. Catmouth

Catmouth Member

14. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

I had an RV-3...the Verbzilla sounds more lush to me.
    Didn't like the EH 'verbs...just not my thing.

suggestion: play thru them all if you can.
    if you cannot, listen to the soundclips on musicians friend or youtube.
    what you may like is different then what I may like.

15. bosstone

bosstone Member

Reverb tanks are big, expensive and delicate. I had an original 64 Fender. All the hassles of carrying it, and worrying about damaging it or getting it stolen drove me to get the Holy Grail that I didn't have to worry about and could throw in the back of the amp or in a gig bag. The dues were just too heavy for my needs...great sound though.

16. Catmouth

Catmouth Member

You are so right bosstone.
    I love the way a tank sounds, and the fact you can bang it for more sounds is cool is great. But they are like a Ferrari, they are fabulous if you have the $$$ to spend on the upkeep. I have never used the Grail but have a couple of friends that swear by them. I did try the Boss a while back, I just couldn't get into it. I can tell you the next time I am in the market for a reverb, the Grail is what I am test driving first.

17. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

Nobodys talkin' about the Holy Grail Plus. That's the one to get, best verb in a pedal by a TON. True bypass and very "musical" in the tradition of EH.

plexi

18. billybling

billybling Member

I love the EH pedals but they are noisey from pedal to pedal.