Which Reverb Pedal, Boss or EH

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bosstone, Jun 4, 2008.

1. bosstone

bosstone Member

I just saw a You Tube with Bonamassa showing his pedals. He uses a Boss Reverb but I never hear anyone talking about them and the reviews I have seen aren't that good. Hearing is believing though and his sound is fantastic though admittedly there is a lot going on with other pedals simultaneously, including a Boss DD3 delay. I has an EH Holy Grail a while back and thought for $99.00 it was surprisingly good but sold it. I even used the wacky "Flerb" effect it had at a very low setting and found it very usable too. Now I have a need for a reverb pedal again. Which way should I go.

2. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I really liked the original Holy Grail and used it in the effects loop as my main amp reverb for several years before installing a new spring reverb. I only had the knob turned up maybe about 20% and I thought it sounded very natural. I've heard people complain about noise issues with the HG, but I never had that problem. You do have to make sure you use the included adaptor, though.

3. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

I have both the Boss RV-3 reverb and the EHX Holier Grail reverb pedals. I love 'em both! The RV-3 does reverb, delay and delay + reverb, so it's versatile. But the Holier Grail is pretty versatile too in that it does different types of reverb (hall, room, spring, etc.) and you can add a gate or reverse gate to your reverb. RV-3 has a much smaller footprint, so that's a consideration.

4. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I have owned both...still own the boss rv-5...got rid of the holy hiss...that pedal was a noisy mess...I exchanged it for another and the second one was a hiss monster...(this was about a year ago) now I own the boss...digitech digiverb is another surprisingly good reverb pedal...

I was told that eh pedals were noisy but my little big muff and metal muff arent...the holy grail sure as hell was...

5. never-enough

never-enough Member

i had a rv3 and a holy grail.
    the rv3 was much quieter, no contest. also much more versatile.
    the holy grail has a bit more "character" to its verb sound tho.

6. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Holier grail is quite a bit more versatile than the Holy Grail; likely quieter too, although I have never tried a Holy Grail.

7. billybling

billybling Member

I'm all about the RV-5. It's great in front of my 1974x and 1962 Blues Breaker. It's also fabulous in the effects loop of my 2553 Marshall Jubilee. It's definitely flexible...........sounds great too. I use the Modulation Reverb setting. Always.

8. cray2008

cray2008 Member

can u post the link to that Joe Bonamassa pedal video?

9. Medication

Medication Member

Had an RV-3. Sold it.
    Bought a Holy Grail. Sold it.
    Bought a Line 6 Verbzilla. Sold it.
    Bought another Holy Grail. Like it.

I liked the Verbzilla MUCH more than the RV-3, but it was too much tweaking for me (which is great for versatility, but not when you have 5-10 min to get set up).

I'm quite happy with the Grail, it doesn't get overly "cloudy," and it's 1 knob BUT you have to use the goofy adapter.

The Verbzilla kinda goofed up my bypass tone (you could hear a fixed-flange sound when amp volume was turned up fairly high).

RV-3 was the nosiest one out of all.

10. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Definitely go RV-5.... I can't find a bad sound with it. I like the tone knob to mellow out the delay sometimes.

11. bosstone

bosstone Member

It looks like Boss is only making the RV-5 now.

12. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

if you can go boutique get a dr. scientist reverberator... beautiful, beautiful tone.

13. Catmouth

Catmouth Member

14. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

I had an RV-3...the Verbzilla sounds more lush to me.
    Didn't like the EH 'verbs...just not my thing.

suggestion: play thru them all if you can.
    if you cannot, listen to the soundclips on musicians friend or youtube.
    what you may like is different then what I may like.

15. bosstone

bosstone Member

Reverb tanks are big, expensive and delicate. I had an original 64 Fender. All the hassles of carrying it, and worrying about damaging it or getting it stolen drove me to get the Holy Grail that I didn't have to worry about and could throw in the back of the amp or in a gig bag. The dues were just too heavy for my needs...great sound though.

16. Catmouth

Catmouth Member

You are so right bosstone.
    I love the way a tank sounds, and the fact you can bang it for more sounds is cool is great. But they are like a Ferrari, they are fabulous if you have the $$$ to spend on the upkeep. I have never used the Grail but have a couple of friends that swear by them. I did try the Boss a while back, I just couldn't get into it. I can tell you the next time I am in the market for a reverb, the Grail is what I am test driving first.

17. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

Nobodys talkin' about the Holy Grail Plus. That's the one to get, best verb in a pedal by a TON. True bypass and very "musical" in the tradition of EH.

plexi

18. billybling

billybling Member

I love the EH pedals but they are noisey from pedal to pedal.