Which Rosewood is the best tonally?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jcmark611, May 23, 2008.

1. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

There seems to be several rosewoods to choose from, which one sounds the best?

2. fusionid

fusionid Supporting Member

you are talking about the fretboard only, really this question is null since how little it changes the sound. Rosewood sounds diff from maple but you wont be able to tell diff rosewoods apart.
    if you are talking about a whole neck. Now why in the hell would u want to do that?

3. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

Most expensive one.

4. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

Nah, just the fretboard.

5. oscar100

oscar100 Member

no best just different according to the sound in your head

6. gitman

gitman Member

the unobtainium variety .... it will perpetuate your desire for the best guitar in the world forever - cause you'll never gonna get it ;-)

7. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

I always laugh when I hear questions like that... because if neck wood made such a difference then fretting notes on inlays vs. non-inlay frets would make huge differences "dude we have to play this tune in Bb so when I hit the Major 3rd it'll be on an inlay".

ok aside from poking fun, I was going to say there's no tone issue, but there probably is the indirect effect it has in bends and vibrato - that's a huge diff in feel between maple (or a hard ebony) and a soft rosewood. but that's mainly about player feel and all up to individ pref. I got a friend who despises maple necks because they're 'sweaty and slippery'... i'm pretty flex - maple necks are great on a Fender-type guitar, but my Ebony SG freboard has a cool 'hard' feel, and certainly no problem with the other pile of guitars I have that are mostly rosewood...

8. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I have used several necks from Warmoth with Kingwood boards. The varigated grain looks better than most Rosewood I see and it has the same sonic property as Brazilian, but it's harder and slicker feeling like Pau Ferro, & Ebony.

9. avincent52`

avincent52` Member

I'd say there's little or no difference.
    That said, I paid a small upcharge for a lovely brazilian clay dot board on my USACG tele. It looks cool and may have a tiny tiny tonal difference.
    It's probably a much bigger upcharge now, if tommy can still get Braz.
    (there's a huge difference between brazilian and lesser rosewoods in an acoustic, FWIW)

10. JPF

JPF Member

The one that makes you feel best when playing it. Seriously.

11. Shreve

Shreve Katzenjammer Kid Gold Supporting Member

St. Michaels, MD. Town that fooled the British
    Whatever pickups are closest to it. ;)

It's a tough question, with no clear answer. Sum of all parts versus one component. Listen to your ears!