Which S type would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bertramladner, Jul 1, 2018.

1. bertramladner

bertramladner Supporting Member

Hi,

I’m looking for a really nice Strat type and am interested in trying a builder that I haven’t tried. I am looking at Suhr, LSL, Grosh, and Xotic.

Does anyone have experience the a few of the types or own more than one of these types?

What are your thoughts as to which you prefer?

Thanks

~B

2. Defendant

Defendant Member

I’ve played the Xotics and they are very special. Voiced just right with unbelievable sustain. No bad choices there but that would be mine.

Suhr makes a killer guitar, but a bit brighter and more modern to my ear.

LSL stuff is nice for sure. Haven’t tried Grosh.

3. pak1001

pak1001 Member

4. Rezin

Rezin Member

I got an Asher, built in California, they're a little pricey, but very nice. I got the Marc Ford model in which they tried to do a bit of cross-over between a Strat and an LP. I also have a regular Strat, and though I like it, I usually pick up the Asher because it plays so easy. It feels more solid than a Strat. Website is Asher guitars, the Marc Ford section is here:

https://asher-guitars-lap-steels-store.myshopify.com/pages/marc-ford-signature-model

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  5. vintagejunky

vintagejunky Member

Riggio Custom Guitars.
    I've owned & played Strats for 50 years and Joe makes the best sounding S style I've ever owned.
    Here's a vid of Greg Koch playing mine.

Darth Weller, djw, Zalu and 2 others like this.
  6. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Silver Supporting Member

Get a Music Man Cutlass.

BuckshotJenkins likes this.
  7. GravityJim

GravityJim Member

Warmoth. Way more bang for bucks. My $1.2K Warmoth Zencaster destroys CS guitars.

Unless you're one of those guys who doesn't buy guitars to play but to keep around and talk about and then sell a year later.

8. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    Deep down, everyone knows they really want a Silver Sky. :cool:

:eek:

DirtLover, rauchman, shane8 and 6 others like this.
  9. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Member

I have / played owned Suhr guitars and played Grosh guitars. I love them both. Have not played LSL or Xotic yet unfortunately. Would not hesitate to recommend either Suhr or Grosh.

10. echos

echos Member

I have an LSL Saticoy. Ive come to realize I’m not really a S type of player. HB for me all day long. I’ve tried to put this up for sale a few times but I just cannot follow thru with it. It’s that good. I just cannot imagine a “better” S type. Tried Fender CS stuff and the Saticoy is just better.
    I cannot recommend them enough.

11. blues bird

blues bird Member

Try a PRS Silver Sky: vintage-ish tone and craftmanship on Fender Custom Shop Masterbuilt level for a fraction of the price.

12. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with a Tuttle.

13. bertramladner

I have a warmoth. It’s ok, maybe it needs a set up or new saddles

Darth Weller likes this.
  14. Muttlyboy

Muttlyboy Member

I currently have all Partsocasters...Bodies and necks from Warmoth , USA CG, and Guitarmill...Oh, and one neck made for me by a guitar builder.
    I have had a Suhr, and it was very nice (I liked it enough to put Suhr pickups in one of my Strat builds).
    The BEST sounding Strat that I ever had (and maybe heard) was a Custom Shop Master built '63.

I had to let the Suhr and the Master built go about 9 or 10 years ago.

I have a very good Fender Custom Shop dealer fairly near to me (Music Zoo), and I've always been impressed by a lot of the Custom Shop pieces that they have.

I like doing the Partsocaster thing, and it's more in my price range , but in all honesty, I haven't put one together that sounded as good to me as the Custom Shop stuff...the only problem is that the prices seem to be running away.

Back when I got the Masterbuilt, I paid $3200 (the most that I ever paid for anything)...I think that now the price would be closer to $5000.

I feel like when they stick one of those big money (for me, anyway) Custom Shop Strats on the wall, they're not fooling around

Darth Weller likes this.
  15. Arcadia

Arcadia Supporting Member

16. Presc

Presc Member

Enter everyone listing their favorite Strat type...

Of the four you’ve listed, I’ve played LSL and Grosh. Both good, both different. LSL has more of the old guitar vibe, Grosh the jewel-like finish to perfection. There is no shortage of builders to pick from, but what you have to realize is that they’re all putting their own spin on the traditional configuration. You should determine what YOU want first - a dead-on vintage replica, or a modernized version of the platform? Or if it’s something in between, what elements do you want modernized and where do you want to stay traditional? How much control do you want over the spec? Everyone has a different building style and business model (what you can and can’t ask for in your guitar). Figure that out first ans thennarrow the list of builders from there.

To me, the partscaster thing works if you’re skilled at fretwork, setup, etc. If you’re like me and have a limited guitar maintenance skill set, I don’t think you’ll ever make a parts guitar that can match what a pro can do. And look, I’m on the list for a Danocaster, I’m not against the parts themselves. But I couldn’t do what Dan does with those parts in a million years, and those subtle things are the difference between decent and great.

Relicula and Ncp10 like this.
  17. bertramladner

maybe you want to trade for a Grosh electrajet HH

18. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

I cant say enough for my Grosh. It is the strat sound I hear in my head, just no flaws at all.

19. Muttlyboy

Muttlyboy Member

I kind of agree with what you wrote, but I kind of disagree.

The quality in build of the parts from these guys is very good.

You don't need to be a master builder to assemble a very playable guitar...even a hack like me can do it with some help from the Internet and YouTube.

The one that I most wanted to work out, I went ahead and brought it to a recommended Guitar Tech for a Plek job, level, crown, and new nut.

It plays great. Sounds meh.

My others sound better, and I got lucky with both of my Tele projects (no urge to hunt for a better Tele)

20. mikefair

mikefair Member

Wouldn't trade my K-Line for anything.