1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which Scumback?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JohnnyM, Sep 10, 2005.

1. JohnnyM

JohnnyM Member

I want to get a g12H30 or scumback version
    to match with a blue in a 2x12 open back cab.

Not sure of the 55hz vs the 75 or
    if a g12h30 will suffice. Money is a factor.
    Which one do you guys prefer, I read a few people
    have this mix.

I am using a Hayseed 30 head/Vox clone.

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

If you intend to run it with a Blue I would get the 55HZ. The blue will take care of the top so you want the best bottom and that will come from the 55HZ. I tried a Blue with Scumbag 75HZ large dust cap and it sounded very good but my 55HZ speakers were being used elsewhere and if I were to do it again I would go with the 55HZ.

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I think 908SSP has a point.

A number of members from the TGP, and other forums have told me that there is a "magical quality" to the Blue/Scumback 55hz mix. In tests, they said the Blue/75hz mix was very good, but that there was something very special about the Blue/55hz mix. Since the G12H30 is a 75hz model, it wouldn't provide the lows of the Scumback 55hz speaker.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

4. Swampash

Swampash Member

Open backed cab? 55HZ....No question. :cool:

By the way, forget the Celestion. I had the anniversay G12H30...compared to the Scumback it was pathetic - an eye opening difference!

5. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Hope you don't mind me asking here:

Scumbag, I plan on getting a Divided by 13 4x12 cab. Which speaker do I need to look at getting from you?

6. Scumback Speakers

Depends on what you're trying to go for tonewise. Better to shoot me a private email with all of the particulars of your rig, that way I can make an informed suggestion.

scumbag@scumbagamps.com is the address to send it to...

7. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Sent.

8. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

+1 I think the 55 is the way to go.

Stevo had one set up like that for a bit. Sweet combination.

9. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

My 55hz is a Weber reconed 70th ann. with the Scumback SA12 55hz kit. In an open back pine 2x12, it sounds equally glorious with the Blue and a recently acquired Fane AXA12. I like every one of the Bagwhan's speakers I have heard.
    Even the Greenback style which are not usually my cup of tone.

10. Roe

Roe Member

I'm gonna try a 55hz with a blue in my Bogner 2x12 cab today. I can report after having used it for a few days.

11. Swampash

Swampash Member

Is your Bogner cab open-backed?

If not, it might provide too much thump....I've never tried it in a closed back cab, I'm just extrapolating from my experience with an open-backed cab. YMMV

In any event, I don't think it will take a couple of days to hear a difference - it is pretty stark.

12. Scumback Speakers

Roe...Norway? Wow. I've shipped speakers to the UK, Germany, France, Canada & Mexico, but not any of the Scandinavian countries. You must have access to an old Pre Rola G12H30 55hz, or you know one of my buyer's in the other countries (Germany perhaps?)? Or are you trying it with a Celestion Heritage 55hz? Just curious...

13. Roe

Roe Member

scumback - i use a weber c1230-55. I hope it isn't very different from a scumback speaker after I've used it a bit.

14. Roe

Roe Member

It a closed and open cab. You can order it with this option and get double up with back panels.

it'll try it with the closed cab option first.

15. Scumback Speakers

You know, I had one of their 75 and 55hz speakers, and while they're good, I couldn't quite get back to the old tone of a Pre Rola out of them. That's when I contacted Ted about recreating the Pre Rola's in the Scumback line. Turns out there are some construction, suspension and doping differences that are integral to getting that "old tone"...

16. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I've got a 55 mixed with a SA12m-75 in a closed back- not too much thump. Very nice balanceThe speaker i found with the most thump was the SA12M -55... i didn't love the tone as much as the SA12M 75 (LOVE IT, sparkley w/o hurting the ears), but it had this cool thumpy, whooshy old marshall 4x12 sound to it in my 2x12, even at moderate volumes.

17. Roe

Roe Member

IT sounded good - tight and punchy. Even the drummer said he liked how it sounded.

18. Swampash

Swampash Member

Yup :D

From what you had posted previously, I gather that you used it as a closed back cab this time. Let us know how you like it as an open back also...I really like the way an open backed cab has less directionality - more "swirlly/airy" - particularly with the Blue.

It'll get even better as the speaker breaks-in...it is a superb companion to the already wonderful Celestion Blue. :cool:

19. Roe

Roe Member

I've heard that the weber c1230 is made to sound like a new g12h while the scumback speaker is made to sound like a old g12h. Is this correct?

20. Roe

Roe Member

I believe weber has improved the 75hz speaker. Earlier it was based on a celestion reissue. Now it's based on a vintage celestion.