Which should I save for, Mini Rec or Single Rectifier?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by William Braddell, Feb 22, 2015.

1. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

Not long ago I posted another thread about some potential new amps but I keep doing more surfing on forums like this and coming up with new possibilities. My Jansen is really heavy and I have so steep access so I'm hoping to get a cab and head set up for practices/jams and perhaps for gigs if I end up liking whatever I get enough.

Right now I'm pretty set on getting an Orange 2x12 open back cab (it's a lot lighter than the Recto 2x12 though I'm still open to that cab) and pairing it with either a Single Rectifier Solo 50 head or a Mini Rectifier. My concern about the Mini is I have heard some people say they didn't feel like the dynamics compared any of the larger rectifier models and I've also read about a few people saying they had QC issues with these models.

In terms of the Solo 50, I'm worried that it will just be too loud for home use. This may not be the end of the world as I do love the Jansen at home volumes but it would be nice to still be able to use the Mesa as well. I watched Don Haggerty's comparison of the Single rect with the Dual and thought that the Single sounded like it would cut through the mix better than a Dual Rec.

Give me your thoughts anyway, thanks.

2. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Single Recto Solo 50, hands down. That haggerty's comparison is pretty spot on - the Solo does sit better in a mix. The Mini really isn't much quieter honestly and it just doesn't sound nearly as big.

I could comfortably play my Solo50 at any gig or at home and have it sound good.

I'm not saying you have to pair it with the Mesa cab, but I think you'll be a little dissapointed with an open back cab. Rectos really like the closed back. And if the Orange has V30s, they really don't do great open back.

3. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

This was a really helpful post, I appreciate it thanks. I'm definitely leaning in the direction of the Solo50 and I'm probably willing to make do with the Recto cab's weight, really. It's still slightly less heavy than my Jansen and will be much easier to carry in terms of shape as well.

4. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

Just lifted a 2x12 recto cab and think it might be a bit bulky and heavy with my access way being what it is. Is there any 1x12 that anyone would recommend? I'm still open to the Recto cab but it seems like it'd have the same issue that my combo does with the weight and size.

5. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

6. LesPaul70

LesPaul70 Member

Neither. Buy a used 2-channel Dual instead. It will sound better (thicker, beefier, deeper, etc.) than a Single, and if you need to, you can use it as a 50-watter by pulling two power tubes and one rectifier tube.

Sticking to your listed options, though, a couple of points:
    - The Mini is not necessarily better for home playing than a Single or even a Dual. The main reason for this that the bigger Rectos have a dedicated post-loop Master volume (in addition to the channel master volumes) for adjusting your total volume level. The Mini only has the channel volumes that control both the channel volume/power tube saturation and your total overall volume - which can be a tough equation to make work at home-playing volumes.
    - The Mini is physically smaller and lighter to carry than the big Mesas, which is a major advantage if you need to lug it around a lot. But it will also run out of headroom sooner...
    - Whether you want a Single Rec or a Mini could depend on what kind of you music you like to play. For rock music, the Mini could work better (more midrange presence and crunch); for metal, the Single could work better.
    - A 1x12 will not sound like a 2x12. For a big-sounding 1x12, you could try a closed-back ported design, like a Thiele or a widebody.

7. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

Are the 50 watt single rectifier rectoverb the same amp with reverb? One of these on Trademe in pristine condition. Can't see any used Dual-Recs on there at the moment, NZ used market sucks...

8. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

This has been my experience also. Not that the mini to terrible at low volume home playing, but I find it easier to dial in my full size mark v in that setting because of the channel and master volumes.

9. cardinal

cardinal Member

I didn't really like the Mini Recto. The bigger ones sound better at whatever volume I tried. I had them side-by-side and with the same cabs. I would definitely try to swing a Dual or Triple because I love the tube rectification they have.

10. LesPaul70

LesPaul70 Member

Yeah, both are 50 watt Single Recs - but the Rect-O-Verb is a 1x12 combo amp with reverb.

11. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Rectoverbs come as 50 watt heads too.

12. Surgeon

Surgeon Member

I have a series 1 rov head and I absolutely love it. It'll surprise you as a low-volume practice amp too, the master volume (output knob) wprks very well.
    I know many folks will say the duals are way better than these singles or rov but I can't fault mine on anything, except that swithing delay that will be a deal-breaker to some, understandably.

13. psyandy

psyandy Member

I really liked the Mini Rec. It was good at low and higher volumes. Super easy for travel and lots of tones in there.... Loud when you want it.....Quiet otherwise.

14. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Go with the Single Rec, for sure. The EL84s in the Mini Rec just don't work for me. As I mentioned in another (similar) thread, they're far too squishy in comparison (to the 6L6s in the Single Rec).