Which single coil to match with Filtertron in bridge?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by duaneallen, Apr 16, 2016.

1. duaneallen

duaneallen Member

So I'm thinking of maybe ordering a Collings 290 and I was thinking about this idea: I'd like to have a Filtertron (TV Jones classic) in the bridge and some kind of single coil in the neck. Which pickup would be a good match for something like this? P-90? Gold Foil? Anyone have a guitar like this? I'm wondering how the balance would be between the two pickups. Also, could it be hum-cancelling in the middle position. Thanks for any help.

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

My Tele has a TV Jones PowerTron and Fralin SP 43. 250k pots. Good match.

[​IMG]

3. duaneallen

duaneallen Member

Thanks. What about a Filtertron in the bridge, which neck single coil have you guys tried?

4. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

Filtertrons are not that hot. I would worry a P-90 (unless underwound) would overpower it in the neck. Why not a supertron in the neck?

5. duaneallen

duaneallen Member

How about a Goldfoil in the neck?

6. mattymel

mattymel Supporting Member

Personally id stick with another Tv in the neck. Hard to improve on that. Though if I had to pick a single coil, Dynasonic? I still think it would look/sound a little weird.

7. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I think a P90 or Dyna would overpower a Filter, especially a Classic. Go up to a Classic+ and then those (or a Super!!!!) would work. I believe Gold Foils are pretty high output, as well. Maybe an underwound P90? Honestly, I'd ask Collings and/or TV Jones as they've got the combined experience to get your best answers.