Which small, portable headphone amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by devnulljp, Feb 20, 2009.

1. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

My venerable old Tom Sholtz Rockman is (a) beginning to show its age and (b) the bombastic 70s stadium rock sound is getting on my nerves.

So, with all the modellers available now, what's a good headphone amp for quiet practice? Not looking for a practice amp w/ headphone jack, just a little walkman-size can-amp that's good and reliable. Bonus would be if it were good enough to hook up to the computer for rough recording, but that's a secondary concern.
    Hows the pocket POD? I've heard mixed reviews. What else is there?

[​IMG]

2. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Amplugs aren't bad. They're pretty limited... no reverb or effects at all. Tone is passable. They're cheap. If you had a good pedal board ahead of it, so much the better.

3. sausagemahoney

sausagemahoney Member

I'm a big fan of my AC30 amplug

4. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Try to see if you can find a desktop Tonelab. I'm a fan of the Korg/Vox stuff.

dk

5. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Korg Pandora. Thank me later. :)

6. devnulljp

Amplug? These little things?
    [​IMG]
    Really? I just completely overlooked those as a novelty -- thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go.

Any drawbacks to the Korg Pandora or the Tonelab? They're both modellers right? Tonelab looks quite big? Pandora is about the right size.
    Thanks for the pointers all.

7. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

Waves iGTR is supposed to be good. I have an older Pandora and it's cool too. Boss Micro BR also has a lot of afficionados.Lots of good stuff out there...

8. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I've been wanting to try one of those also. I like that you don't need to carry a guitar cord with you and you can hook up an external MP3 player. to jam with.

9. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

The Vox Amplug is cool, and priced right.

10. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

I tried the Amplug (AC30 model) at Guitar Center and thought it was very clever. I used a Les Paul style guitar and it sounded much like a Vox AC30. I remember the plug swiveling around a bit and I wondered if there was a way to hold it in place. It also fit on Strat input jacks with no problem. Oh yeah, and it doesn' have reverb. But for $40, it was a great little device!

If anyone else has tried it... do you know if this thing can plug directly into a DAW interface?

11. AstroStrat89

AstroStrat89 Member

+ one on the amplug. I like the classic over the ac30 myself. One of the new ones has a delay which may pass for reverb.

I mine also works real well with my computer speakers too.

12. mrmjp

mrmjp Member

13. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I went with the AC30 also.

14. FUSER

FUSER Member

What headphones are you guys using?

I use a Sony , which sounds great for my tv etc but sounds really bad for things like headphone out of an amp or my zoom ps-02 recorder.

Are there headphones meant specfically for this purpose?

15. devnulljp

I have a little set of Sennheiser PXC250s that I got for travelling, and they're pretty good, although at home I mostly use a set of HD555s -- needs a converter on the end for anything with a mini-plug though but they're good headphones. Can't remember now why I went with those over the HD600I set out to buy. Tried a bunch and those sounded the best (for the $$) to me.

[​IMG]

16. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

+1 for the Korg Pandora!! I have a Pandora PX-3 that I use exclusively for personal practice where I need to use headphones exclusively. I programmed my own presets for the songs I practice to. I like the digital pitch transposer for changing the keys of the song or putting the song in tune with my guitar. I also like the loop function to slow down solos and the center canceller to play along with songs by cancelling out most of the guitar on the MP3 file. Great little box that I've had for long time. It replaced my Rockman X-100 headphone amp and was one of the best investments in my home/practice studio setup.

Guitar George

17. devnulljp

Do any of these headphone amps not suck when you play a fuzz into them? Never used one that didn't just make your guitar sound like an angry wasp with a fuzz -- although I know sometimes that's a good thing...
    I had a Rockman X100 for 25 years, and finally sold it because I got tired of everything sounding like 80s FM AOR rock radio :D

18. Warse22

Warse22 Member

+1 on the Vox AC30 Amplug. Very cool little device, and I love that you can line in a laptop or iPod to play along with tracks. Also surprisingly good on batteries! I'm not sure you can beat it for the price.

19. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Just picked up a like-new Boss Micro BR on eBay for $130 w/1Gb card. Thing is, it has good and deep models and efx which are highly tweakable, plus an excellent on-board drum machine. And, oh ya, just for grins comes with a free recording studio w/4 tracks + rhythm + 8 virtual tracks per main track. Plus USB and full file transfer abilities. And internal conversion of any track to MP3 or WAV for export. And plays any and all MP3 files. And it's tiny and made well with an excellent data screen. And it makes a great song idea recorder (you can record your effected direct guitar and your voice at the same time via the on-board mic + rhythm) and a lecture recorder at school. Whew.

Oh, and since you have full mic volume control, you can record live band practices with it without overload. A lot of cheap digital recorders use auto-level which will get shmunched by loud sources.

20. Ishmael8765678

Ishmael8765678 Member

amplugs aren't bad at all, but what do you expect from something that small. try the fender mini tone master. unlike the amplug, it has a speaker and a headphone jack. i have tried several micro amps and i have found that one to be the best.