Which smaller Traynor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by beatlenut, Dec 28, 2005.

1. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

I've got a Traynor YCV80 right now but due to medical reasons I have to downsize.

Which of the smaller Traynor amps would sound the closest to the YCV80?

YCV20
    YCV40
    YCV50

I love the Traynor, just want a smaller one with the good cleans and Marshall distortion.

2. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

The YCV40 is the one you want. The 40 is simply a 40 watt version of the 80 with one 12" speaker.

Both the 80 and the 40 use 6L6 tubes. The 20 uses EL84s and the 50 uses EL34s.

3. CAC

CAC Member

The lower wattage Traynors do not have the scoop or expander switches like the 80 Watt has, so I don't think they are as good for hard rock/metal as the 80 watter if that matters to you. The YCV 50, and YCV40WR have celestian 30 speakers as well. The 20WR has a greenback speaker. The YCV 50 also has EL34's and I believe there is a difference with a master volume being present in addition to volume and gain knobs. You'd have to check on that for sure.

4. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

As soon as you said "Marshal distortion" it narrowed it down to the YCV50 Blue. All great amps, but the 46 lb. Blue is a killer!-Eric

5. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

It looks like the YCV40 I've found doesn't have a Master Volume switch. What difference will that make?

I should say that I want good bass and it must sound decent with high gain at low volume.

6. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

For "Good cleans an Marshall distortion..."
    I as well nominate the YCV50 Blue.
    It's a 1x12 open back combo though, so when you say 'lots of bass'...although it sounds very full for a smaller combo, it isn't going to shake you like a closed back 4x12.

7. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

+1 on the 50 Blue. Listen to Randy, he knows his stuff and can flat out rock! I've played one for a bit at the store and it did rock indeed. I liked it quite a bit better than the 40 or 80.

8. David-R

By the way - I've owned the 20, the 40 and the 50. I currently have only the 50.

The master volume will give you "better" tone at lower volumes. I had Traynor mod my YCV40 to convert the presence control to a master volume.

If you're after Marshall distortion, the 50 will get you much closer.

9. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I own a YCV 40T which is a 2x10 which is a nice option. You can't get the upgraded speakers with this but the stock Celestion Tube 10s sound good. The Drive channel has a master volume, only the clean doesn't.

10. CAC

CAC Member

Randy Van Sykes has some oustanding clips of the YCV 50. Maybe, send him a PM and he'll get them sent to you. Randy, good to see you posting here! Beatlenut, you can always get an extension if you need more bass, but I think the combo will provide more than enough unless you're getting into some pretty heavy metalish music.

11. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

Hey...thanks for the nice words CAC!

Here's a couple of clips I posted at Harmony Central last summer when I first picked up the Traynor 50 Blue.

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000142424_000011337_proj.mp3
    http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000142424_000011338_proj.mp3

12. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

I'm thinking the YCV50 is just going to be too heavy at 50 Lbs now.

13. CAC

CAC Member

Well then, check out the others. I recently tried the YCV20 and liked the cleans, bought thought the 50 watter was much better on the distortion channel. If I was going to use the 20 watter I'd probably consider an overdrive pedal in front of it. However, you might feel differently so I guess the real solution is to try one and see for yourself. Good luck!

14. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

I have decided that I will probably be putting a pedal in front of anything small I get. I'll be getting a Tonebone Hot British. Had one before and liked it.

No Traynor dealers local here. That's why all the questions.

Randy - nice sounds! Any pedals, or just straight amp?

15. David-R

You should probably go for the 20 as the 40 with the Celestion Vintage 30 is about the same weight as the 50.

The clean channel on my 20 was decent but it didn't have a lot of headroom, especially with humbuckers. It did well with od pedals. I did not like the crunch channel on the 20 - bright and not nearly enough gain. The crunch channel on the 40 and 50 is much better than the 20 (IMO).

16. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

Looks like it's down to the YCV20 or a Peavey Classic 30.

17. Marcello

Marcello Member

i have a YCV20WR. I swapped the tubes for a full JJ set and changed the speaker to a Eminence Tonespotter. It's now a killer amp for clean, half-clean tones. I use the OD channel with the gain on 3, so i get a boosted clean tone, awesome with a strat. For OD, i slam it with a pedal, and it likes pedal a lot. Overall it's a good amp, not great but hey for the money...

18. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

I plan on keeping either one stock.

I've found a dealer willing to selling me a new Traynor YCV20WR for $475 shipped including a cover. Seems real good.

I just hope that a Tonebone Hot British will perk up the high gain on this amp.