• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Which Songs Do You Feel Would Make a Great Punk Song?

AprioriMark

Gold Supporting Member
Neither is anything new. “Reggae versions” are traditionally accented by some jackass shouting “yeah mon” after every other line.

There’s also the ubiquitous “bluegrass version” or the “metal version.” It’s a corny joke that’s overstayed it’s welcome, imo. It’s not even ironic anymore.

Neither punk nor blues is any more “narrow” than any other genre. Cheesy genre exercises tend to highlight the most generic, stereotypical elements, though.
I don't know what sad, sad world you live in, but a lot of us put serious time and love into our punk and our reggae. Re-imagined covers are no exception, and anyone shouting that would be summarily backhanded. Not that we don't make musical jokes, too. They're just not shortcuts to thinking.

That said, I don't disagree with you, because I was being sarcastic. Genre "covers" are usually low brow; I just happen to play with some truly adept mofos who shift genres nearly every song because we feel the common threads.

-Mark

Neither is anything new. “Reggae versions” are traditionally accented by some jackass shouting “yeah mon” after every other line.

There’s also the ubiquitous “bluegrass version” or the “metal version.” It’s a corny joke that’s overstayed it’s welcome, imo. It’s not even ironic anymore.

Neither punk nor blues is any more “narrow” than any other genre. Cheesy genre exercises tend to highlight the most generic, stereotypical elements, though.
Disagree RE: punk

HJR

It ain't me babe - Bob Dylan

Always felt the lyrics were some of the most viscous I have heard in a song. Could really handle a more aggressive approach.

Go 'way from my window
Leave at your own chosen speed
I'm not the one you want, babe
I'm not the one you need
You say you're lookin' for someone
Who's never weak but always strong
To protect you an' defend you
Whether you are right or wrong
Someone to open each and every door
But it ain't me, babe
No, no, no, it ain't me, babe
It ain't me you're lookin' for, babe.

Go lightly from the ledge, babe
Go lightly on the ground
I'm not the one you want, babe
I will only let you down
You say you're lookin' for someone
Who will promise never to part
Someone to close his eyes for you
Someone to close his heart
Someone who will die for you an' more
But it ain't me, babe
No, no, no, it ain't me babe

Go melt back in the night
Everything inside is made of stone
There's nothing in here moving
An' anyway I'm not alone
You say you're looking for someone
Who'll pick you up each time you fall
To gather flowers constantly
An' to come each time you call
A lover for your life an' nothing more
But it ain't me, babe
No, no, no, it ain't me, babe

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know what sad, sad world you live in, but a lot of us put serious time and love into our punk and our reggae. Re-imagined covers are no exception, and anyone shouting that would be summarily backhanded. Not that we don't make musical jokes, too. They're just not shortcuts to thinking.

That said, I don't disagree with you, because I was being sarcastic. Genre "covers" are usually low brow; I just happen to play with some truly adept mofos who shift genres nearly every song because we feel the common threads.

-Mark
I’m not talking about earnest, respectful nods to disparate genres and styles, just the contrived, forced novelty covers that are so prevalent.
Disagree RE: punk
Then you haven’t heard much punk. Do The Ramones, The Clash, Dead Kennedys, and Television really all sound the same to you?

At one time, punk was all about individual expression. It became a homogenized, commercialized commodity later, but that doesn’t represent the entirety of punk, even in the era when that happened.

I’m not talking about earnest, respectful nods to disparate genres and styles, just the contrived, forced novelty covers that are so prevalent.

Then you haven’t heard much punk. Do The Ramones, The Clash, Dead Kennedys, and Television really all sound the same to you?

At one time, punk was all about individual expression. It became a homogenized, commercialized commodity later, but that doesn’t represent the entirety of punk, even in the era when that happened.
No? I haven't? Lol .. Seriously? Look Tiny, youre out ahead of your skis

I disagree .. I still didagree .. Your opinion is not the end all be all ... As much validity as you think you have to make statements, know that you are in no position to tell me how much punk i listened to or draw inferences, and false equivalencies. I am willing to bet people around you just refrain from commenting on some - perhaps many - of your opinions that you seem to believe are fact. They dont want you get pissy and trash your bedroom, break stuff, or maybe kick a pet. I disagreed before your display; nothing has changed. I disagree

AprioriMark

Gold Supporting Member

I disagree .. I still didagree .. Your opinion is not the end all be all ... As much validity as you think you have to make statements, know that you are in no position to tell me how much punk i listened to or draw inferences, and false equivalencies. I am willing to bet people around you just refrain from commenting on some - perhaps many - of your opinions that you seem to believe are fact. They dont want you get pissy and trash your bedroom, break stuff, or maybe kick a pet. I disagreed before your display; nothing has changed. I disagree

I *think* this might be Dunning-Kruger personified.

-Mark

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member

Ahead of my skis? From the guy spouting off about something he obviously doesn’t have the first clue about? That’s rich.

If all punk bands sound the same to you, it says much more about your ear and frame of reference than it does the music.

rspencer

I was in a band that did mostly original rock, but we'd throw in occasional covers. Sometimes lesser known songs, but other times we'd choose to do a well-known song differently.
This was one of my favorites. We did it as a punk song--think Sex Pistols or early Damned. The attitude and intensity gave a greatly different feel to the lyrics.

Trending Topics