• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Which Songs Do You Feel Would Make a Great Punk Song?

Ahead of my skis? From the guy spouting off about something he obviously doesn’t have the first clue about? That’s rich.

If all punk bands sound the same to you, it says much more about your ear and frame of reference than it does the music.
Tiny? I disagree ... all your infantic craziness .. Entirely baseless claims .. Mischaracterizations .. I have made no such statement regarding Punk bands all sounding alike to me .. you created that out of The Ether or perhaps a voice in your head blurted it out and you in true stream of consciousness through it out there.Tiny, you don't need me to have an argument. You just think of a statement, attribute it to another person, and try to lure them into defending a statement that they never made. In closing, Tiny, i continue to disagree

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Why do punk threads always degenerate into what is and isn't punk? Still beats what is happening on the punk reddit though.
Haha, the “What is punk” gatekeepers are usually the punks themselves. I don’t worry too much about all that. That’s why I cited bands that (almost) everybody would agree are punk bands.

I don’t consider myself a “punk,” anyway, just a fan of some of the music. I somehow doubt this guy’s going to be picking nits about distinctions between punk, new wave, and hardcore, though.

Haha, the “What is punk” gatekeepers are usually the punks themselves.
You may not be wrong, but as someone who has been into punk for 30+ years I get excited to see it come up in a forum like this where there are a lot of greater skilled musicians than myself and then it goes south in a hurry.

That and "hey I wanna sound like Johnny Thunders" and the "just play whatever you can steal!" quip.

Anywho, I was driving to pick up my son yesterday and put the stereo on shuffle and just about every other song "yeah, that would be a perfect lockdown punk rock cover" but today I forgot all of them :(

I'm thinking more than a few were country tunes.

TrickinSid

We were messing around the firepit .. Old folks .. Young folks .. In between .. 7 guitars .. Socially distancing .. And i Johnny Ramoned You are My Sunshine .. and I began thinking of other songs that could be properly Punkified for future reference ..

I did a Bruce Sprinsteen Promised Land last night .. My friend did Pink .. Let's Get this Party Started ..

I thought i'd put it to the community
Smoke on the Water

White Limo

I’m not sure about punk but I’ve always thought In My Place by Coldplay would be a killer Crowbar-esque metal song.

Why do punk threads always degenerate into what is and isn't punk? Still beats what is happening on the punk reddit though.
IDK seems thats a question thats always been brought up since the Dickies signed to A&M . I went to my first punk show in 78 every band on the bill sounded different . In the 80's hardcore was more unified in the rules but there was always a weird band that didn't get the memo . Some of them were great too

IDK seems thats a question thats always been brought up since the Dickies signed to A&M . I went to my first punk show in 78 every band on the bill sounded different . In the 80's hardcore was more unified in the rules but there was always a weird band that didn't get the memo . Some of them were great too
My first Punk show was '78 also .. The Ramones along with - i think - the Nervous Eaters .. Ugh .. No wait .. It was DMZ .. Seen a lot of shows .. Lol .. Sheesh .. Dont get old, folks - there's no future in it .. I was hooked .. The Boston music scene was so cool then .. Great clubs .. The Spit .. The Rathskellar ... the Channel (ooo saw the Pixies and the Misfits here) .. Bunratty's .. Ah ... Lotsa great acts in the mid to late 70s and 80s

My first Punk show was '78 also .. The Ramones along with - i think - the Nervous Eaters .. Ugh .. No wait .. It was DMZ .. Seen a lot of shows .. Lol .. Sheesh .. Dont get old, folks - there's no future in it .. I was hooked .. The Boston music scene was so cool then .. Great clubs .. The Spit .. The Rathskellar ... the Channel (ooo saw the Pixies and the Misfits here) .. Bunratty's .. Ah ... Lotsa great acts in the mid to late 70s and 80s
Mine was 86 or 87 (I was in 7th grade). I did make it to the Rat in the 90s and saw some of the last gigs there. RIP Kenmore Square.

Oh cool .. It is sad that all the legendary places are gone .. So easy to access via the T .. All the closings .. The new buildings and businesses really dampened a fertile and festive music scene
It's been almost 20 years since I've been back. Even then I didn't quite recognize it only 4.5 years after I moved. I went to BU so it's pretty painful. I'm kind of scared to go back but after COVID dies down I intend to take my son out there.

Go
It's been almost 20 years since I've been back. Even then I didn't quite recognize it only 4.5 years after I moved. I went to BU so it's pretty painful. I'm kind of scared to go back but after COVID dies down I intend to take my son out there.
Go, Terriers .. Boston is still a cool city .. I just wish it had the same music scene as it did in the 70s and 80s. .. After Covid? .. When's that?

Trending Topics