Which speaker for a '66 BF Deluxe Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by davidkiddmusic, Oct 10, 2006.

1. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

I have a '66 BFDR with a full retube kit with JJ6V6's amongst others. Right now I have a Weber 12F150 in it for the speaker but Im thinking of putting in a Celestion V30 for a more rock/midrange sound. I use mainly Les Paul's and Tele's, and my OD pedal I am using with the amp is the ZVex Box of Rock (kicks ass!).

I like chime/sparkle, some midrange, and tight bass. What are you guys using in yours for a rock/pop sound? What speakers do you recommend and why?
    Also, any NOS tube recommendations?

Thanks a bunch.

2. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I have the same amp.

I put a Tone Tubby Alnico hempcone in it and never looked back. It's a great speaker and sounds better in every way than the original (which I still have).

If you only play quietly or are using the amp for recording only, there may be other speakers you may want to consider, but for the stage, particularly if you like to turn the amp up past the point of initial breakup, then TTs are the way to go IMO.

stratzrus

3. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I have a '64 BFDR. I replaced the stock Jensen with a Weber 12F150, which to me is very warm and punchy. The speaker breakups very smoothly and works very well for playing blues and jazz with my Les Pauls and 335's at gig volumes. I've tried a few other speakers in it (a JBL D120F, a Tone Tubby alnico and Celestion G12-30 & G12-65's) and I've always preferred the Weber. I did have an Alltone 1250 in my BFDR that sounded wonderful, but the Weber was still the best speaker for my application. The Alltone would probably work well for the rock/midrange sound you're looking for. Also, a Jenson Neo will also give you the kind of tones you're looking for. I have one in a Jenkins 1x12 and it sounds terrific.

For NOS tubes I have Brimar 6V6's and RCA preamp tubes. When I got my amp I brought it over to KCA for a cap job, and Mike and I tried a bunch of tubes in it. This combination worked best for me.

FVB

4. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Alltone 1250 or a Weber 12F150 make wonderful sounding DR speakers.:BEER

5. karmadave

karmadave Member

Agreed! Alltone 1250 (if you can find one) or Weber 12F150 are just the ticket for a DR. The Alltone may give it more of a British flavor, but either are wonderful sounding speakers.

-KD

6. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

No Celestion V30 lovers for this amp huh? How come?

7. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

+1 for the Weber. 12F150B here.

8. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

I've hooked up a CV30 in another cab and it sounded good at home but it's pretty bright and the DR is a bright amp to begin with (mine is a 69 SFDR). I considered puting one of the four CV30s I have in the SFDR combo but I'd have to either remove 4 lugs from the baffle or drill 4 holes in the CV30 frame.

9. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I actually do love V-30's and have them in my 66' Pro Reverb.It's clean punchy with a ton of headroom, and it adds the mids to the amp to balance the overall tone spectrum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I just did some recording with my 67' Allen modded Bassman head and I ran it through the Eminence 12" Governor in my 70' Princeton Reverb to record some sound clips. Basically the Gov. is Eminences version of the V-30. I bought my Princeton Reverb that way so I couldn't dictate what speaker went in the amp. I think that a Celestion V-30 or a Emi. Gov. would be excellent choices for your Deluxe. If you want to hear what the single Gov. sounds like with the Bassman running through it, here are some short sound clips on my son's soundclick page.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=453803

10. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

If you're really pushing the amp:

Tone Tubby Hempcone AlNiCo, Original Voice Coil, standard/no doping/no added enzymes

If you're going for more of a traditional Fender tone, I love the JBL D120F's. Either one could work for your application. D120F's are rated more closely to the wattage of the amp, Tubby might sound a little dark if you don't push it hard enough with that low wattage of an amp, although I'm pushing 2 TT's in my 30W.

V30's are too much power for a Deluxe IMHO. Not enough dynamic range. Sure you'll get loud cleans, but not as dynamic as with a speaker closer to the amp's output.

11. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

I have a vintage 30 in my 73 DR - it sounds great. It's got that low-mid thump of the v30 which balances out the highs of the DR. It sounds great clean and with overdrives too - timmy and tonebone classic. I would like to try out a weber 12f50 sometime since that's what most people recommend.

It sounds like you like the tone of the v30, so i think you'd like it in a DR.

Check out this site which compares various speakers in a DR Z MAZ jr:

http://www.proguitar.de/AudioDemo/CompareSpeaker/CompareSpeaker.html

I actually liked the v30 the best, even against the stiff competition. The MAZ jr (which i've had) sounds a little different from the DR since it has more mids, but they're both in the same ballpark when set clean.

12. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Anyone compare this speaker to a C Rex?

13. Don L

Don L Member

I like the original Jensen C12N the best in my '66 DR.

14. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

+1

This is the speaker that I have, and I do really push it. It totally opens up once the volume knob is past 4, but this is not a living room volume.

I've heard that the Cannabis Rex is similar, and a better buy, but haven't been able to compare them side by side. I haven't heard anyone say that they actually preferred the Cannabis Rex though...

stratzrus