Which Speaker for Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stormy, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Stormy

Stormy Member

I am replacing 4 MojoTone alnico 10" speakers in my Holland Bassman amp. Since this amp is rated at 50 watts ( it is loud ) I need a speaker that won't mush out early.

Some P10R style speakers that I have tried gave me very little
    headroom, so I would like to find a speaker voiced similarly to the P10R but can take some serious volume. Any suggestions?

2. JDJ

JDJ Supporting Member

Weber 10A125.

3. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Or P10Q. I agree. You'll still get breakup when they are pushed, but significantly better headroom than P10R.

Another possibility is to run two P10Q's and two P10N's (10A150) or C10N's (10F150) . You get the Q breakup and the N headroom at the same time at pushed volume levels.

4. Stormy

Stormy Member

I have tried the P10R and while there are no problems loading the speakers up top and fitting behind the transformer, the speaker itself was kind of buzzy with very little headroom.

I think the P10Q can handle 30 watts which is what I need (more headroom) but is the speaker mangnet larger than a P10R and most important, will it fit behind the transformer?

5. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

As far as I know, the magnet housing will be the same size from the R to the Q. If you are going to order from Weber, call them and tell them about your amp. They are very smart about the different fit problems that can occur with transformers, and will offer creative solutions to help you make the speakers work.

6. Stormy

Stormy Member

Thanks for the help. Is the P10Q the same as the 10A150 ? I think it's time to give Ted a call and get things sorted out.

7. waylon

waylon Member

I've got the same amp and I went with the Eminence Alnico 1028k. I love it now and before the speaker swap with the crappy Jensen RI's it wasn't doing it for me. That changed with the speaker change, now it is my favorite amp. Still waiting on the speakers to break in too.

8. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

No, the P10Q = 10A125. P10N =10A150.

9. Stormy

Stormy Member

Again, thanks for all the helpful info. I really haven't kept up with Weber's speaker codes since he's changed them but the 10A125 might work out OK.

On the other hand I have tried the Eminence Legend 105 and while I liked the sound of the speaker, I could only load two of them on the bottom because they didn't fit up top. Even with just two of them, it added a lot of weight to the combo. Is the 1028k as heavy as the Legend 105?

Question about both speakers: Weber 10A125 and Eminence 1028k, is there a lot of speaker compression when you crank your amp?

10. waylon

waylon Member

I've got the 1028k's loaded in with no problem. I would say it doesn't compress as much as the previous Jensens (although that could be just because they were muddy with a fizzy top end). I really like the 102's in this amp. Played it at band practice last night and didn't use any outside boosts/overdrives and just used the volume control on my guitars. What a sound. Perfect for southern/classic rock, motown, blues, country and even funk.

11. Dollar

Dollar Member

I've got 10A125's in my 5F6-A clone and with the Mercury Magnetics Transformers they fit but it is tight. That big Mercury choke doesn't leave much room.

12. Robboman

Robboman Member

Yup, I've got two P10Qs and 2 P10Ns (or whatever the Weber code is for them now) in my RI. They're both the same size. I couldn't fit them behind the transformers with the bell attached, you have to go bare magnet then they slide right it.

13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Perhaps try replacing two of those with ceramics of some sort...I've seen this done a lot.

Greg

14. Stormy

Stormy Member

How does the bass hang together on the Weber P10Q / 10A125's and Emininence 1028k's? Is it big and round or woofy and deep ? ( do I sound like a cork sniffer yet? ) :eek:

15. Stormy

Stormy Member

Wayon, so the 1028k speakers cleared up the raspy sounds you were getting from your Holland?

16. waylon

waylon Member

Yep, cleared them right up like some kind of acne cream for a 14 year old. I love the amp now. I'm still waiting for the speakers to break completely in but enjoy the tone so much more now with the Eminence's.

17. Stormy

Stormy Member

How would you describe the low end with these speakers?

18. waylon

waylon Member

Very round and it doesn't fart out or have any woofiness to them but I keep the bass down around 1 or 2 on the dial

But my comparisons are limited to the RI Jensens that were in it before. Those are the only other speakers I have tried in it. Now something else may be better than the Eminence 1028k's but I like the tone I'm getting and I don't think I will be changing them anytime soon.

19. Stormy

Stormy Member

I've been playing the Holland for 6 weeks with Eminence 1028 K speakers and I've got to say I am really impressed.

Friday night I was playing through the Holland with a Strat (no pedals please) and everything was there - from sweet to thick & juicy- with just a twist of the volume control. I am one happy guitar picker. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Waylon, Muchos Gracias.