Which speaker for extension cab? (AC15CM)

Sigmund Floyd

Silver Supporting Member
Hi- I have a sweet Vox AC15-cm that comes with the Creamback 65 installed. I'd like to run an extension cab with the amp speaker running at the same time (so a 16 ohm extension cab, 112). The Creamback is 65 watts... should I run another Creamback, matching the wattage? Or would a 25 watt Greenback be ok, even though quite a difference in power handling? A Celestial Blue even though they seem to be 15 watts? WGS ET65, Scumnico 30 watt?

Any opinions experiences appreciated! thanks

mlj_gear

If they are both 16-ohm speakers, each speaker will see half the wattage of the amp, so roughly 7.5 watts at maximum clean volume... say 15 watts cranked if you want to be really conservative. Any of your listed options would be fine power-handling wise. More important tone-wise is that if one speaker is much more efficient than the other, it will dominate the overall sound. The M65 Creamback isn't super efficient, so if you use a (very efficient) Blue externally, you'd be hearing more Blue than Creamback (assuming cab construction is similar in terms of open-back vs. closed-back, etc.). Also, you probably already know this, but in your case, in which you want to use both speakers simultaneously, you want to use the extension jack, not the external jack. (The C1s have kind of an unusual set-up in that regard.)

Sigmund Floyd

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks. Yes, the extension jack (both speakers working). Good point about the efficiency, I'll try to match that better....

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
You might try Avatars Alnico A25, lots of good posts here from AC15 users, and won't be the kick to the giblets buying a Blue is.

Sigmund Floyd

Silver Supporting Member
thanks guys, I did order a WGS ET65 but might also check out one of these Avatars... I love the bigger sounds you get from multiple speakers and effects like the carbon copy etc...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom