Which speaker is this in my Marshall cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johnmfer, Apr 13, 2008.

1. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

I have a cab that's marked 1960AV which means it should have Vintage 30s. I am selling this cab so I want to know exactly what these speakers are since they're re-labeled. The Celestion site dated these to Feb. 1987, that's about all the info I can find on them. Also, how much would they be worth, assuming they have the original cones?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Johnson

Johnson Member

I recently sold a 1960AV cab and it had speakers that looked like those. I think that those are vintage 30's that were restickered with the Marshall name on it (as opposed to the stock celestion sticker). I think that they are worth the same as a used Vintage 30 speaker in a similar condition.

3. silverface

silverface Member

4. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Thats a Marshall branded Vintage 30. I have the same cab...

5. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

Cool, thanks everyone. I went ahead and sent an email to Dr. Decibel to quadruple check. The only thing that throws me off if the fact that the cab is rated for 280 watts, or 70 watts per speaker. Current production V30s are 60 watts. Maybe they lost a few watts over the years, we all get a little older, a little less able to handle extremely loud volumes... :)

I sold a Marshall JCM800 1x12 combo a little over a year ago with the speaker that came in it when I bought it in 1995. I had said that it was the original speaker but it turned out not to be, and had to refund some money to the buyer. So, just want to make absolutely sure this time.

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

No Marshall branded V30s have always been rated at 70 watts. And I have read debates that claim they aren't exactly the same as the Celestion labeled V30s. But I wasn't satisfied they proved their point.

7. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

Here's a response from Dr. Decibel:

The speakers are Vintage 30's that are badged as Marshall's. They did
    lots of testing with the speaker and are happy to rate it at 70W when
    used with their amps and cabs.
    Regards
    The Doctor

So, I take that to mean they're actually the same 60 watt V30s that Celestion has always produced. Marshall feels like the speakers can do 70, and since they're the ones providing the warranty, why shouldn't they say whatever the hell they want about its power rating?