Which speaker should pair up better to a M75 Scumback?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BluesHarp, Apr 24, 2016.

1. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

The Celestion G12M Creamback or the Alnico Cream 12". Using a Germino Club 40 ( Marshall jmp50 style amp ). 2x12 partially open back cab.

Would be replacing a Scumback H75.. keeping the M75.

Im thinking that the Cream may have more low end but sweeter highs possibly.

My goal is to best compliment the M75. Want a smooth top end and tight but resonant low end with organic mids that will take dirt pedals well.

I thought about running two M75's but I like the idea of two different speakers complimenting each other.

Dont know if the only difference between the creamback and the cream is the magnet or not.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  2. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Cream Alnico is 100db. Scumback M75 is 97db. While adding some different tones in combination with the Scumback, the Cream Alnico will be 3 db louder - and will, by far, be the dominant sound. A Celestion Greenback will also be 97db - a better match IMHO.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  3. Teleplayer

BTW - if you are looking for an Alnico to team with the ceramic - why not just go with one of Jim's Alnicos? If you want a darker sound, then the Scumnico. If you are going for a brighter sound to pair with the Scumback M, then an S75-PVC. I think they both have 40 oz. magnets and are rated at 98 - 98.5db. Eaither one would be a better match for you than an Alnico Creamback.

Rod likes this.
  4. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Nit sure you will gety sweeter highs with a Creamback. They have a nice end in my opinion, but the scumback has a slightly rolled off, very round high end, not sure you will get a sweeter high end with a creamback. ASW has the sweetest high end without being rolled off, in my experience

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I think you already had what you wanted with the H75. Those speaker work really well together, I don't see a better option, sorry.

playthecray, ericb and Roe like this.
  6. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

I did the speaker mixing thing and it has its merits for sure ...but ...I'm back to running 2 M75 65's and I really like that combo

Plexi

7. 71strat

71strat Member

The Cream does have the Nice Sweet highs, and tight lows your looking for.

Ive got a bunch of speakers I use. Creams, Fanes, JBLs, Altecs.

I myself would use a 97db speaker with a 100db as mentioned.

For me if I want a more Vintage sound, and want to combine a Ceramic, and an Alnico, I like a couple different scenarios.

I also have 4 Pulsinc Cone G12Hs, so I'm also not necessarily looking for that sound with other speakers. I have that covered... But for me I like More Watt handling ect.

I'm also speaking of running these scenarios with a Metro GMP45 LTD ED. I also have 0 experience with Scumbacks, other than many like them, and are well regarded for movre Vintage tones.

But the Cream can IMHO cover most any Vintage Celestion tone, and also take 90 watts doing it.I believe the Cream is the best speaker Celestion has made in Decades, and compares favorably with any/all of the Pulsonic cones. But again. 90 Watts.

I myself like the Celestion Cream x Fane F90. Both 90 Watts, and 1 Ceramic, and the other Alnico.

The Celestion being really smooth, and the Fane being Very Aggressive when Pushed.

Fane is more Low, Low Mids oriented, with really sweet and never muffeled higs.

While the Alnico has a Very Smooth Low End. The more high mids/highs detailed Celestion, coupled with the Fanes Aggressiveness, and Low End Punch, are remarkable. IMHO x YMMV.

I also like 2 x Celestion Creams x 1 Hemp coned, JBL E120.

8. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

If you are looking for a less bright option to the H75 - the J75 sits in between the M & H. It is a very sweet speaker but not as bright as the H. I ran a green / gold 4x10 with a JMP and was not impressed - it would cut through the mix in an OH SH*T! way. BTW - the factory break in on Scumbacks is worth every penny of the $10. If you didn't get the FBI I would keep playing. I run that H/M mix on a 1960 and a 1936.

Russ

9. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Staff Member

Get a Scumback h55
    You'll lose the top end of the h75 but keep the firmer low end.

3db isn't enough to notice once one is 5 ft away

Alnico will have squishy low end and different mod character

10. Teleplayer

If you are doing two ceramics, I would definitely go with an H75 or a J75. Either will tighten the low end. The J75 will be smoother in the highs too, versus an H. If you wanted to roll off the highs a bit in an H, go with the larger dust cap model.

11. Teleplayer

Mike,

i respect your knowledge, but completely disagree with you about the 3db comment.

12. big mike

Opinions vary. I've been using 3db difference (h/m75) for 10 years through various speaker companies. Once you walk away from it the sound balances IMO. But we can disagree. No biggie

13. big mike

Mixing large and Small dust caps realty screws with the mids IMO.

14. Teleplayer

Two different viewpoints, as I have been doing the same since 1998. I hear it very differently.

As my mother used to say, "That's why Heinz makes 57 varieties".

big mike likes this.
  15. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Ive got a 8 ohm Cream Alnico 12" in my Fargen Blackbird and it sounds amazing.
    It replaced a 50w blue dog.. that was what came in it.. it was the wrong kind of speaker for a blackface amp, imo.
    Would like to try a Weber 12A150 in that amp at some point.. the Cream isnt broke in yet but it has a touch more highs than I expected.

I also was looking at the Tone Tubby Purple Haze. It hasnt been out for too long but the description sounds great.

As far as the 2/12 cab. I dont know. Maybe the Cream is too loud to match to the M75. I might try the Scumnico.. anyone try that and the M75 together?

Perhaps I would be happier trying two M75's.. not sure what to do. The match of H/M im doing now sounds good.. just curious about what the alnico/ceramic mix would be like.

16. big mike

Prefer scumnico next to a h 55 or 75

M/alnico covers a lot of the same mids to me.

17. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Yea.. I like the idea of staying with the same brand too. Leaning that way...

18. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Whats the difference between the SC75 Scumnico and the S75-PVC?

19. Matt117

Matt117 Supporting Member

20. big mike

Voice coil material

The PVC have a bit more high end and a little more 'air' to the tone.