Which speakers for a 2x12 cab to handle my Super Lead...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Freedom, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Freedom

Freedom Member

Hi again, i think i have decided what 2x12 i ll buy and now i need your knowledge and opinions about the speakers...

Sooooo, i need a couple ones hi wattage rated (i'd prefer at least 100W each), british voiced, not sterile, kinda vintage sounding as well...

I already have a Tonker, which i like buuuuut i have the feeling it doesnt like the distorted sounds (fuzzes or the od of my plexi itself)...

Now, keep in mind that i live in the EU and ordering from the US means extra bucks for customs, shipping and so forth...

Thanks in advance bros... :)

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I was going to recommend G12-65s, but they don't meet your power handling requirements.

The Tonespotter is a great sounding speaker at 75W. Emi makes several speakers in the 75W range, but things are pretty thin up around 100W.

I think you may have a hard time finding a vintage sounding speaker at that power rating. Those speakers tend to sound vintage because of their smaller voice coils and lighter cones.

3. Freedom

Freedom Member

4. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Ahhhh yes. I keep forgetting about Scumback's high power speakers. Def check those out.

5. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

Have you looked at EV speakers? They have the power rating you're looking for and imo they sound good. They have a heavy bottom end, which I like, don't know if that's what ur looking for.

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I think the Tonker sounds awesome with OD. I think you have been reading too many TGP posts. All you have to do is dial down the presence a little.

7. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

8. Freedom

Freedom Member

Naaaaah, i like the vintage tones... ;)

9. Freedom

Freedom Member

Its a little bit subjective, i use a Tonker in my iso box and i had (sold it yesterday) a bogner cube loaded with a Tonker as well...

I trust my ears so i wont choose the Tonkers this time...

And yes the presence is always dialed down basically cause i have installed a post PIMV and i have it on 5 most of the times...so when the presence is on 5 (and its always on 5), in practice is much less (one of the drawbacks of this kind of MV, you loose the full range of the presence control depending on the MV setting)... ;)

10. Freedom

Freedom Member

First of all, a couple of V30s gives much less wattage than i need...

Then, generally, i don't really like V30's much, my bogner cube was loaded with a V30... ;)

EDIT: i don't like much V30's if they are the only speakers in a cab...i could use them with another different speaker but still the wattage is much less than i really need...

11. John55

John55 Member

I can't find any Scumbaks with a 100w rating, is this something new? I have a pair of 2x12s loaded with his 65w speakers, one with H75s and the other with M75s. They are absolutely the best sounding speakers I've used with Marshall amps. BUT, pushing a 100w SL through two of them is treading on thin ice. Most of those amps will put out significantly more than 150w when really cranked up, and two 65w speakers won't take that for long. If I were using a 2x12 I'd definitley want speakers with 100w rating on each to be safe.

12. Freedom

Freedom Member

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/m_series.html (hmmm, also only 97db sensitivity, i love them!!!)

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/h_series.html
    http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/x_series.html
    http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/scumnico.html

All these 12" models have 100W versions as well...;)

13. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

that's cool, to me when you said "british voiced, not sterile, kinda vintage sounding as well..." that's a V30 described perfectly. And they are relatively "high power handling" when compared to a lot of other celestions.

I one V30 with my 50 watt marshall no problem, two will handle a 100 watter IMO.

good luck with your search tho.

14. Freedom

Freedom Member

They wont be able to handle a 100W plexi at full throttle i am afraid... ;)

Thanks mate... ;)

15. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

Hey Freedom-

I'm in a similar situation...I have a 100 watt EL-34 head and a 2-12". I have a EVM 12L on one side and a Weber Ceramic Blue Dog (100 watt, Pre-Rola) on the other. They never fart out, can handle the wattage and the cab sounds big. This combo may not be for you, but I like the way it straddles the vintage (Weber)/modern (EVM) fence. And all my fuzzboxes sound great through these speakers.

happy hunting...

16. Freedom

Freedom Member

I hear you, thanks for the info man... ;)

17. John55

John55 Member

If Scumbak makes his speakers in 100w rating now, there's no doubt about what I'd be buying. I just finished an hour's worth of sonic assault with my 100w plugged into a pair of 2x12s that are loaded with Jim's speakers...if pure vintage Marshall goodness is what you're after it won't get any better. One M75 and one H75 in a cab would be heaven, IMO.

18. Freedom

Freedom Member

Oh yeah...

I've contact Jim and gave him all the information needed about my gear, what i like and so forth in order to tell me what i should choose...it seems its gonna be one H55 and one H75 for me... ;)

19. localmotion411

localmotion411 Member

I have the same 65-watt pair coming from Jim to use in a 2x12 with a Komet Concorde. It should kill! Can't wait to hear about your results and compare with mine when we get our speakers.

20. Freedom

Freedom Member

Amen brother... :)

Can't wait!!! :roll