Which speakers for Reinhardt Ampzilla?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MGuts, Jul 30, 2008.

1. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

I'm going to be getting an Ampzilla hopefully sooner than later. I called Bob today (what a nice guy!) and talked some questions over with him, including speaker choices. From his descriptions, I think I like the R65H model which he has made for him and his amps. I'm going to be going at this without testing them because I'm going to have the amp shipped to me (no dealers in reasonable driving distance). Any opinions on this? What speakers do you use/prefer with this amplifer or with Reinhardt amps in general? I like a lot of punch and clarity in the sound, without real harsh highs and the less mids the better--obviously not scooped, but not honky, either.

2. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I don't own an Ampzilla, a MI-6, but I really prefer Bob's speakers in one of his 2x12 cabs to the other cabs I've used my Reinhardt with. One cab had some vintage Vox speakers, and the other had Eminence Red, White, and Blues. Of course, there are far better speakers out there to try than my two non-Reinhardt examples. However, Bob's got a great ear. His speakers are top notch. Very balanced and clear.

3. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Thats good to hear. I'm looking for balanced and clear and from what I've heard his speakers seem to deliver. Any other opinions?

4. nightbird

nightbird Member

I have a MI-6 into one of Bob's single 12's and my buddies Ampzilla head. The MI-6 sounds amazing but the Ampzilla over powers the single. I'd go with Bob's dual 12.

5. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

I am gonna go with one of his mini slant 2X12 cabinets.

6. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Anybody else?

7. Figher53

Figher53 Member

I use my Storm with /13 cabs. a 1x12 with a Cele Alnico Gold and a 2x12F and 2x12D both with reissue greenbacks. I'm in the process of switching the speakers in the 2x12D to Heritage G12-65s, though. All three sound great!

8. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

I have one of Reinhardt's 1x12 speaker cabs with his 65H speaker in there, which I use with small to mid Marshall type amps (18 to 50 watts). It is really a great cab for Marshall type amps including presumably his. It has plenty of bass presence but it stays tight and a just the right amount of high end taming so that you get nice clarity but no icepick. Plus his wife's tolexing work is incredibly good.

When I bought it I had some good email exchanges with him and he pays a lot of attention to the speaker cabs and how they interract with the amps in the tone equation and also what U want.

9. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

That's just the type of speaker I am looking for.