Which Strat - EJ or 56 TM?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fjs1962, Aug 18, 2006.

EJ or 56 TM Strat?

1. EJ Strat

2. 56 Time Machine Strat

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

If you wanted a alder/maple neck Strat and you could buy either a 56 Time Machine or a Eric Johnson, which would you go for and why?

2. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

have you played either of them? I can't speak about the TM, but I love my EJ and it's considerably less.

3. fjs1962

I've played both, and I'm really torn. I like the bigger frets and flatter radius on the EJ, but I like the vintage "vibe" of the 56 TM. I'd be buying a used 56 TM or a new EJ, so even though the 56 is still a little more there isn't as much difference in price as if I were looking at a now 56.

4. Curly

Curly Member

This should be a fairly easy decision.

I appreciate the look of the vintage models, but always prefer the playability of a flatter radius. And if it's not playable ..... :(

5. fjs1962

6. fjs1962

OK, I added a poll.

7. BigViolin

BigViolin Member

I guess Wildwood thinks 6105's and a flatter radius is worth over $1000. Oh yeah, when you make a big order you get to use words like "special edition" and "limited".:jo

Don't get me wrong I'm a big custom shop fan, some of this "limited" stuff is a little out of hand.

8. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I have had both. I had a Culnetto 56', and now I own the EJ. The EJ is way better in terms of bending and general play stuff. Sound will vary as with any guitar....I like the EJ's Pups better as well.

YMMV:)

9. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

OK..? You can't find that model anywhere else, they were made for Wildwood. I would think that makes them a "special edition", and only a "limited" number of them were made.

As for dollars, I don't know the mark up, but assume is cost a pretty penny to have any company do a custom order. And I would quess they had to order quite a few of them to get Fender to do them.

10. fjs1962

This is all true. I talked to Steve Mesple and he told me Fender is going to charge even more to do these again.

11. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

fender do those thin skin 57's check em out...for me its cheaper than the EJ that is over hyped,ive played a few of em and it aint no $1600....to each his own

12. fjs1962

I looked at those but I like the thicker necks on the EJ and 56TM.

13. BigViolin

BigViolin Member

I see your point and shouldn't harsh on the dealer, of which Wildwood is a fine one. It's just a consumer can buy a new TM, have the work done to the fretboard and come out substantially ahead. The Fender custom shop can do this more cost effectively than me. Of course there's collectability, resale value and the fact that it says Fender on the headstock to consider. I think it's great that these dealers are specing vintage style guitars with these features I just wish they were a little more reasonable with the markup......of course if I had the extra scratch I'd buy a few. ;)

As to the topic, it comes down to features and the choice of getting an aged finish. If you like a flatter board you can't go wrong with an EJ, and the resale is still very good. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

14. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I think the thin skin doesn't have a flatter radius like the Wildwood 10's...granted, I'd rather buy an EJ for the money. I've had a '56 Relic and I've played a few EJ's and although I REALLY miss my Relic (financial situation forced the sale, Matte ended up with it), The playability of the EJ's is just phenomenal and the big neck with the slight V is just perfect...plus the weight restriction EJ put on Fender. I know Wildwood has an EJ that 7.01 pounds

15. Luke V

Luke V Member

I thought the same thing 'til I picked up the EJ that I bought. I wasn't even looking for another Strat, but this guitar was begging me to take it home. I also bought a thin skin, to compare it to. It looked great, exactly what I wanted, but it was nowhere near as resonant as, and was heavier than the EJ. I sent the thin skin back.

I have ben playing Strats for 33/34 years and always prefered rosewood and don't really care for 2 tone burst. My #1 for the last 13 years was a '62 AV RI Strat. I got the EJ 3 1/2 months ago , it is now my #1, and I love this thing.

16. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I'd buy a used G&L S-500, drop some Lollar pickups in it, and have plenty of $$$ left over

17. bullet69

bullet69 Member

love my ej. people say they are over hyped but its a great guitar . if you look around you can get it for a less than 1600.

18. Senor Blues

Senor Blues Member

I have owned a Cunetto Mary Kay, An AVRI 57, a real 64 Strat, a CS 56 with a 9.5 radius and a 69 Time Machine CC which I still have.

I've now got an EJ 'partscaster', where I bought most of it off a friend who was parting it out . I've got less into it than a New EJ. I don't know how I did that :) But I didn;t feel bad about butchering it up a little either since he already had. It makes a good paltform to buidl the Strat I always wanted. ( for now :)

It is by far the lightest and most resonant strat I have had, and the funnest guitar to play out of all of them.

Sticky neck? Not any more! I 've sweated all over the thing and theneck and body Nitro is flaking here and there, the back of the neck and frets have been micromeshed. In real life it's getting beat up, and I play it a lot. It will look like the CS 56 in a year or two. It's got a string tree on it now, its got Two EJ neck pickups, and the EJ Bridge with a baseplate and a SUHR SSC backplate,, the thing chimes and sings and I love it ;) 80 or 90 % of the hum is gone. I changed the EJ neck plate on the back, and it just looks like a Strat with a thinner headstock and staggered tuners.

19. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I've played some nice '56 reissues but I'd actually hunt around and find the right EJ.

They got it right with this one so don't get put off by the fact it's not CS. The EJ is tonally a real strat but with playability you want rather than have to adjust to for the sake of the tone.