Which Strat pick-ups to use in my upcoming project?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FireBottle, Jan 21, 2012.

1. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

I'm getting close to starting on a long-awaited Strat build...I have a set of Abby's that I bought somewhat impulsively (mostly due to the hype :huh)…but I am also considering going with DeTemple Sweet Spots, WCR SRs, Kleins (Jazzy Cats?). I'm basically looking for some insight from folks that have tried several types of Strat pickups (including any of the Abby wound ones). Right now I have a stock early '05 Eric Johnson Strat and an SRV with Van Zandt Blues pickups. I guess I'm looking for something that would be a nice addition to these two - lower output, more balance & clarity, late '50s early 60's type tone. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. trishoot

trishoot Gold Supporting Member

I like the Curtis Novak pickups for the classic Strat tone from the early 60s. The asuhr Fletcher-Landau pickups are great also.

3. Tonefree

Tonefree Silver Supporting Member

I've had and used the Abby's, CS '60's, WCR SR331's, Rocketfire total '60's, Sliders '59's and a set of Ron Ellis 50/60's. They are all Great pickup's. Sliders are some of my favorites for the SRV thing. the WCR's are a little hotter than all mentioned. I haven't spent enough time to develop the ear for them but they are nice. The CS '60's are some of my favorites from Fender, warm, woody and rich. Great all around voice (Classic Rock) Rocketfires are just Sweet for all around Classic Rock. Great for SRV and Hendrix cleans. Real nice with OD's. The Ellis's live up to all the Hype, great low end clarity, sweet highs, like OD's. I no longer have the Abby's. I will be trying some of Fred Stuarts Brother Stevie's soon. They are all great, just different flavors. Good luck! Cheers