Which strat replacement pups?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jtw, Jan 11, 2006.

1. jtw

jtw Member

My rig is pretty mid-rangey to begin with, including a Matchless HC30 or Vox AC30 reissue and then some mid-rangey TS-type pedals for OD. One of my favorite playing strats is an SRV, and of course the Texas Special pups are quite midrangey as well, so i'm looking to replacing these. What suggestions do you all have? I'd like a more even sounding strat without that really present mid-hump, and lower output. Thanks!

2. Liquid Quarter

Liquid Quarter Member

Check out some Lollar Blondes.......;)

3. stratofied

stratofied Member

I like the WCR's. They are well balanced but I wouldn't call them low output.

4. jetlag

jetlag Member

I really like the Dave Stephens SD Pickups strat set I got - the mojo staggers V set. Lower in windings but a real big sound in the vintage vein. He also winds an even more chimey vintage set that I believe are called 59's or something. I put mine in my old strat after two pickups went open (and the subsequent rewinds came out lousy). The SD pickups haven't come out since.

5. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

I put Seymour Duncan Hot Stacks Neck and Middle in my Strat and they sound fantastic. The bridge is a Seymour Duncan Custom (TB). I replaced the pickguard to get the right hole alignment for the bridge humbucker.

6. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Fralin Vintage Hots are also nice. Slightly scooped in the mids with a sweet high end. They also work well with the Fralin SP43 bridge pickup.