Which strat saddle screws to get?

monkeybrains

I have a partscaster, I suspect the hardware is made in mexico. I want to get some new saddle screws. How do I know if I need american or mexican sizes? Or are they the same?
Thanks

Timtam

Imperial saddle height grub screws (#4-40) take a 0.05" allen key (1.27mm). Metric ones (M3) take a 1.5mm allen key. So that's one simple way to tell which screws you have - a 1.5mm allen key won't fit a #4-40 screw. The screw diameters are a little harder to tell apart, but #4-40 is around 2.8mm and M3 is 3mm.

testing1two

Platinum Supporting Member
The calipers are still useful for measuring the screw lengths (although a ruler works as well) so you don't buy screws that stand too far above the tops of the saddles. Also remember the E string saddles will have shorter screws than the A-D-G-B saddles.

monkeybrains

The calipers are still useful for measuring the screw lengths (although a ruler works as well) so you don't buy screws that stand too far above the tops of the saddles. Also remember the E string saddles will have shorter screws than the A-D-G-B saddles.
I was planning to cut the screw to length with a dremmel

I went through this last year. I had a few Strat's with Palm Killers Screws - I ordered a bunch of small M sized grub screws. Worked Great. I kept those grub screws, and whenever a friend has a Guitar with this Issue, I tell them I can fix it.
I do suggest that you get your Strat Set-Up properly - before messing with the saddle screws.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom