Which Strats would typically come stock with a 10/56 Large "V"?

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
I'm looking for (only) Fender MIJ, MIM, MIA or Custom Shop. Ideally between $500.00 - 2K.

Extra-credit if it has a 1.650" nut width and 9.5" radius.

Thanks!

Last edited:

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Thanks guys. Do all the '56 models have a 7.25" radius? I should have mentioned it (will edit) in my OP, that 9.5" radius would work better for me.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks guys. Do all the '56 models have a 7.25" radius? I should have mentioned it (will edit) in my OP, that 9.5" radius would work better for me.

No, I've played 56 RIs with 9.5" radius. Great guitars. Also, there was (is?) an American Standard (I think) V-neck Strat.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
No, I've played 56 RIs with 9.5" radius. Great guitars. Also, there was (is?) an American Standard (I think) V-neck Strat.

Thanks Jerrod. I see a lot of the CS Reissues are $3-4K new.....:eek: That would put me in the pre-owned market...lol.

Found these, with the "soft V" neck and a 9.50" radius: Fender Classic Player ’50s Stratocaster (MIM?)

jetydosa

Gold Supporting Member
The AVRI will have 7.25. The CS models will be mixed, but most are 9.5.

Check out the Clapton Strat also, it has more of a V neck than any other Fender Ive tried.

JPIndustrie

A very common request ... one of my favorite configs also, I have to build one if I want one with a RW board...

yet Am Standard and now professionals still don't have any neck profile options...

Either someone is really smart or just missing out on a golden opportunity

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
Clapton Strat necks do have a killer V shape but they also are 7.25 radius and come with small vintage fret wire... the first thing I did with my once upon a time production EC was put Dunlop 6105 fret wire on it.

Kelsey

The EC Strats are 9.5" radius, vintage fretwire, and a relatively slim soft V neck that is nowhere near the size or feel of the 1056 neck that's on the CS 56 Strats. The EC neck has very little taper, so while it starts out reasonably chunky at the lower frets (.86" or so), it's not any thicker at the 12th fret than an American Standard neck (<.90"). The CS 1056 neck starts at about .90" at the 1st fret and tapers up to about 1.00" at the 12th fret, with a nice transition from soft V to full C. It's among my favorites of all time.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
I was off from work yesterday, so I shot over to GC to see if they had any Fender CS guitars, or any other (MIM) 50's models to try, not to buy. Nothing. None. Nada. I wasn't surprised though.

Though I play Gibsons 85% of the time, I also currently own a Tom Anderson S-Type, which I love, with a SD '59 HB in the bridge, but I'm curious about that 10/56 shape. I think my ape-mitts would enjoy that size/shape. My TA's neck is .90" even-taper. and C-shaped. The neck is great, but curiosity is getting the best of me. I may also keep my eyes open for a TA with a 50's Vibe neck-shape.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

JPIndustrie

The big GCs have the custom shops - gonna have to go into the city on 42nd st tho and ask them nicely as they are all locked down.

If you're in north jersey check out lark street guitars , not an authorized dealer but usually lots of used custom shops on inventory. Not sure if they currently have a 56 but if they do it will be on the floor on a stand easy for you to check out quickly.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Do '56's also come with a 1-5/8" nut? I'm seeing that and 1.650".

A used strat with a 10/56 neck found me, I didn't know anything about them before picking mine up. I was just trying out all the strats at this store, and this one really felt right to me. Price was inside your range, a 56 NOS CS model. I think the nut on mine is the larger width, with vintage radius and frets.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast

JPIndustrie

No , CS neck carve has a different feel

Those are the same soft V's as the 50s classic/classic player strats and Baja Tele (nothing bad with the shape tho)

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
No , CS neck carve has a different feel

Those are the same soft V's as the 50s classic/classic player strats and Baja Tele (nothing bad with the shape tho)

Is the soft-V just as thick/deep as a 10/56, but a different carve (like a softer-V)? Thickness/depth is critical for me. A slightly different carve probably wouldn't be as big a factor. Or not....

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom