1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Which TBIAC version do YOU like best?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by definitetones, May 24, 2011.

1. definitetones

definitetones Member

Hi all! I want to get my hands on a TBIAC, but I'm not sure which version to buy. I'm kinda interested in the 8-knob version due to the SAG feature. I know that Menatone is currently producing MXR-sized pedals. Has anybody tried any/ all of them?

I'm currently playing guitar in a country band. With that said, I'm a huge Brad Paisley fan, tone and all. I've been playing through a DRRI & a Twin RI, but not at the same time. I wanna get that Paisley Vox-type thing, or close to it w/ out having to buy a Vox. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Nick

2. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

My favorite was the 8 knob. The Sag is cool, but not that big of a deal (the pedal would have been awesome without it).

The boost is awesome. On its own, it sounds great. Boosting the pedal, it sounds liquid. Honestly, one of my favorite sounds I've ever used.

3. definitetones

definitetones Member

Thanks for the feedback, Bryan!

4. MBT74

MBT74 Member

I've got an 8 knob TBIAC (but I never use the boost) and a 4 knob KOTB. Both are excellent.

Wampler Ego -> Wampler Paisley Drive -> TBIAC = me grinning like an idiot.

5. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

The sag doen't do much on this design, and while the boost is GREAT, you can get a das boost and place it anywhere in the chain. Also, the mid control has to be set to 10:00 to allow the bass and treble to be fully interactive like the ac30.
    So now I have and love the new 4 knob. Just perfect.

6. definitetones

definitetones Member

Can you tell a major difference in the older model vs the new 4 knob? I know some people have complained about certain frequencies being lost after a certain amount of gain is added. Were there any problems addressed/ improvements made?

7. vanguard

vanguard Member

i've had 3 versions, and the newest one is the best IMO. brian trimmed the fat, and gave us a handwired, amp-in-a-can that, through a twin reverb or other clean fender-ish amp, will give up better AC-15/30 tones than any AC-30 you can get off the floor at a GC. you'd have to go boutique amp to even match it. the other controls were intriguing, but ultimately party favors at best. the mids are dialed in just right on the newest version so it's full enough to sound right through a twin, but flat enough to sound good through tweed.

8. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

I have the 8-knob. Like someone else said the sag knob is fairly useless, at least not worth basing the purchase on. I prefer the 8 knob for the boost, which if you already have a clean boost pedal is redundant, but if you don't is like having a second pedal built in. Also, none of the other versions has the midrange knob which can really thicken up the overdrive.

9. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Independent boosts in overdrive pedals BEFORE the overdrive circuit drive me kind of nuts. If I have them both on, and I turn the overdrive side off, suddenly my clean signal is way louder than I want it to be. :facepalm

The newer 4-knob version sounds phenomenal, but it's definitely more of a preamp thing, IMO - you can't get the nasty grind that the 8-knob w/boost does. I should probably also mention that a lot of Menatone pedals I've used have a pretty unique bass response; the 8-knob's bass fuzzed out pretty quick while that of the 4-knob stayed defined.

I'm dying to try a 6-knobber.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  10. definitetones

definitetones Member

11. definitetones

definitetones Member

Thanks for the feedback, guys! It's definitely giving me better insight. I feel better about making an educated purchase, as opposed to a blind one.

12. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I've had the earliest 4 knob version and the just picked up another 8 knob version which I sold a while back. The early one was really finiky with the limited EQ. It worked well for cleans but not so great with overdrive. The 8 knob is killer. Far more flexibility and I think the sag control is somewhat useful and a cool feature despite others opinion. It does give the drive a little more squish which is what its supposed to do. I haven't had a chance to try the newer one but I am sure its far better then the first two he made. The 6 six knob version is rare as hens teeth. In fact those 05 Mena's are probably the most difficult to find. If you don't need the boost I'm sure the new one would work extremely well.

13. definitetones

definitetones Member

14. definitetones

definitetones Member

15. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

8 knob!

Unlike what other's have said about the 'Sag' knob I find it useful to dial in the..well.. sag. It does matter especially when doing chord work.

16. definitetones

definitetones Member

So does the SAG feature act like a Vox pushed to the point of crapping out?

17. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Eh. Not quite that extreme, no. Rolls off highs and adds compression, mostly only from 2 o'clock to max.

18. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

I still like the old 5knob with the trimmers - biasing the three transistor trimmers are the magic in that pedal; nobody is getting that one from me.