Which Tele Pickups for Robben Ford Tone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by docsmith, Feb 22, 2012.

1. docsmith

docsmith Member

All,

I'm putting together a parts Tele and wanted some input on which pickups for a Robben Ford tone.

Thanks,

Doc

2. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Id go with Fralin Blues Specials.

3. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I did one for a friend and used a Lollar Vintage T neck and Lollar Spec T bridge. Did a fine job of getting it. Now you need to use the same amp, effects, chord, and oh yeah, play like Robben....

4. docsmith

docsmith Member

Thanks, I'll check 'em out.

5. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

really any vintage spec pickup will suffice: lollars, fralins (I use stock but a little hotter will work too), fred stuart blackguards, Nocasters, even Fender OV, just turn the volume down a tad and keep the tone knob down about 1/3 and then practice for 20 years and you'll nail it.

6. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

It's not the pickups. It's the slab board.

7. docsmith

docsmith Member

Thank you for the info. I'll check out the Lollar pickups.

Doc

8. L_Totti

L_Totti Member

This.

There's nothing really special about his tone (I mean like , for example , to get close to clapton's tone you'll need a pickup with lots of mids because of his mid boost) so any pickup made to sound like a 60's tele will do.

9. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

I read in another thread, probably on TDPRI, Lindy Fralin did a rewind on Robben's pickups a while back. So subsequently someone called up Lindy and just asked and Lindy told them that he doesn't make a set exactly like Robben's but his Blues Special set is very close. I'd say thats probably going to be the closest you're goin to get.

10. michael stuart 57

michael stuart 57 Member

one with Ford fingers and Dumble ears included

11. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Interesting ...
    I read in somewhat the same kind of article some years back that they were low wound ...
    Not hot at all .

12. craigoslo

craigoslo Member

Robben said in an interview that the bridge pup in his tele is stock and "very powerful".

13. ianb

ianb Member

A Tele with slab rosewood fingerboard on an alder body would also be recommended, it's not just a question of pickups.

14. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I have Fralin Stock set which are 6.6K(in my alder bodied-slab board Squier CVC 59RI), Id say thats low wind...the blues specials are I think around 7K. Very popular pickup, Brad paisley uses them in at least 1 tele. All of Brads Teles are around 7K, including jhis 52 Tele which is 7.1K, my theory is he has all his pickups wound to his 52 specs. (of course you cant judge a pickup on its output, but in general I find the lower wind <7K have more twang/treble response.

For versatility you cant beat around 7K. But then again I have Teles that range from 6.6K to 12K and they all sound like Teles more or less.

Im not sure but it seems Robben uses an echoplex a lot too, so I think any Tele basically, some kind of fender amp and a zendrive pedal and some echo.

here's the 2 tones I think of when I hear RF

and the famous dumble

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  15. docsmith

docsmith Member

All,

Thank you for your input. I hope this doesn't come across in a bad way. But I'm seeing a lot of responses which include comments about Robben's amps, effects, cables, hands, technique, ears, etc...

I simply asked about pickups. Yes, I understand there are more pieces to the puzzle. But for right now, I'm just trying to zero in on one component. Not all pickups sound the same. If they did, I could throw in an EMG, a Hotrails, etc...

Sorry if I've offended anyone, but I just wanted some info on pickups.

Thanks,

Doc