Which tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tlester, Mar 6, 2006.

1. tlester

tlester Member

I'm in the market for a Tele. I want a "true" tele sound, not just a look like tele. I have a look-a-like (Fender Black out tele). My question is, which one? I played a American Standard and a 60th Anniversary Standard yesterday and both of them sounded very good. However, I haven't played anything else, yet. How is that going to compare to a Suhr, Anderson, ASAT, etc?

What should I be looking for? Is the stock pups in the Fender american standar's good. They sounded OK to me, but they were also going through a modeling amp (valvetronics on an AC30 TB model) opposed to my Black Cat 30R. So, as anyone who has been through modeling hell will tell you, the amps doesn't really care too much about your pickups other than volume.

So... any suggestions for a quasi first time "real" tele buyer?

-Tom

2. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Fender '52 Reissue. Not everybody loves the playability and other things about them but I was on the hunt for a Tele. This thing is a Tele cut & dried. The very next day though I found an Anderson Hollow T Classic & got it thinking I'd get rid of the '52...but I just can't come to do it...not yet anyway. The TA does not spank like the '52.

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I'd suggest taking your amp around with you while you shop and find the right one for you. I built my own last year, knowing that I wouldn't find what I wanted for under $2000. Do you want rosewood or maple? Do you want the bright snappy or one that's a tad darker? What type of music do you plan to play on it?

4. onemind

onemind Member

I'll second the vote for the '52 reissue, unfortunately I traded mine away, I regret it every day. (that kind of rhymes okay!)

5. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

My faves:
    Fender CS '60 Tele Custom reissue
    Fender CS '67 Tele reissue
    Suhr Classic T

I favor alder bodies and rosewood boards...however, my Suhr Classic T is ash and maple.

Welcome to Tele-dom!

S>
    j

6. tlester

tlester Member

Yeah... um... my black cat is like 65 pounds for the cab and 80 lbs for the head. I'm more likely to take Guitar Center (or other shops) up on their 30 day satisfaction guarantee and bring it home ;) My amp is just insainly heavy!!!

Now... tell me a bit about the sound characteristics between rosewood and maple. Also, give me the low-down on body wood.

Thanks!

-Tom

7. tlester

tlester Member

Thanks! What is it about these things. I never though I'd want a tele. They are not really "pretty" guitars. I've also had a couple of strat or strat types and though to myself... awe... they are just ugly strats without the middle pickup.

Then... I played one. It spoke to me like no other guitar has ever spoken to me. It was nuts. I've been obsessed with them ever since and I'm finally going to buy one. They have now become "beautiful" guitars in my mind.

Anyway... I can't wait... and keep the suggestions coming.

-Tom

PS. Is the surh worth the extra price or will I be just as thrilled with a Fender?

8. tlester

tlester Member

Rock, alternative, modern worship (Christian), funk.

-Tom

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I can completely believe this.

The Hollow Ts of the world should have a label:

"WARNING: This guitar makes wonderful sounds that you WILL love, and you WILL buy it if you play it. But it will not cop an authentic Tele sound to save it's life or yours."

These guitars are excellent, and a joy to play, but excellent in their own right - they do not imitate what they appear as. They do not really substitute for vintage sounding Teles. You're only like the sixth person I know with a story like this.

10. tlester

tlester Member

Yeah... I'm specifically looking for that "tele sound". If it just looks like a Tele, I'm not interested.

-Tom

11. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

Tele's rule!!
    If it is tough to lug your amp around to demo teles, get familiar with an amp that is common in most music stores. A Fender blues Jr. for example. It won't be like your Bad Cat but at least you'll know what tone that amp produces and be able to judge the teles tone against that.
    Of course, you may find a shop that has an amp like your and a wall of teles. In that case go to it!!

12. tmoore

tmoore Member

I've been wanting a 'real' tele too and just scored one of the new Fender MIM '60s tele' models. The '50s Tele' and the '50s Esquire' are about the same things, but the 60s has a thinner neck and rosewood board i like. If you like a beefier neck and/or a maple board, go 50s.
    They sound real. Like you're tapping the bridge plate with a screwdriver every note; plink, plink. I think it's the real bridge plate/tray and the three saddles. Something about all that metal on metal at the end of the string that gives a tele it's spank.
    I love a $2-3k guitar as much as the next guy, but remember the tele was a cheap, modular, mass producable guitar from it's inception. More 'product' than fine instrument. Don't get all fancy and mess it up IMHO.

PS, just looking at the web page, I noticed the 50s has an ash body and the 60 has alder, FWIW.

13. tlester

tlester Member

So... can someone tell me the the sonic differences in neck wood as well as the differences in common tele body wood?

Thanks,
    Tom

14. Reeek

Reeek Member

It could be said that the first part of the original Tele tone was a Swamp Ash body and a maple neck. Fat and piano like tone.

When I get one this year, it starts with that wood combo, period.

I'm still trying to determine the level of tonal variance between the vintage Tele bridge over an individually adjustable bridge.

I want a Tele so bad and it will come with the typical pickup configuration too ;)

I see a Classic T in my house soon.

15. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

I want a Tele too!

Does anybody know if G&L ASAT necks are smaller than Fenders?

I want the smallest maple neck available and I need twang, which Fender or G&L should I get?

16. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I've been wrestling with this same question. I've narrowed it down to two both AV---------the 62 double bound body rosewood neck in 3 color sb it kills or the 52 reissue which is the mother of all Teles. The former plays well and looks great. There is a reason you see so many people playing the later model.

17. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Wow, what a Tele!

I've been jonesing for a Tele badly for a year now. The AV52RI, Nocasters and the Japanese 52 model have all been raising my pulse quite a bit. Sadly, all of those have been too much for my budget right now. Anyway, my Tele project is seeing some progress at the moment. Couple of weeks ago I bought a MIM 50's classic Esquire, dead cheap, used and it already had a Fralin pickup installed so the modding project had already begun. I bought that guitar 'cause it has an amazing resonance, it's really lightweight and the fretwork is best I've ever seen on a MIM Fender.

Now I'm making it a Tele, I'm ordering a prewired Tele assembly from Acmeguitarworks and a Fralin neck pickup plus Callaham saddles and voila, I have a Tele! And I'm pretty sure it's gonna end up great! The only thing left to think about after the modifications is the finish, which I don't like that much, it's really thick polyester..

The total cost of this whole thing is something under 700 €:s. AV52 costs around 1600 €:s here in Finland and the Japanese 52 model imported here would be aroun 850 €, but still would need new electronics and perhaps pickups 'cause I don't care about the texas specials... The used market is also pretty lame here, so I think I made a pretty good choice. We'll see how this thing works out!

18. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Just got a MIM James Burton Std. Sig for Christmas thanks to my girl-dropped a set of WCR's in it and have been using it on the gig-Candy Apple Red over Alder with a 9 1/2" radius maple neck-thing plays great and sounds great.Plenty of spank and I believe about 500$

19. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Yeah...ugly...
    [​IMG]

The 50's classic is a good guitar, sounds more like a tele (to me!) than the American Standards. The AS teles can sound good, but more like a strat. Good enough for John Beland...
    http://www.tdpri.com/viewtopic.php?t=47473

There are lots of people who like the AV 52RI, but I have not played one that spoke to me. I've played 62RIs I liked, but not enough to buy. The thing to remember with those, is that they are advertised as nitro finishes, but have a poly undercoat. The pickups are good in both guitars, and as lon as the wood is, they'll probably sound good.

20. phoenix

phoenix Member

[​IMG]
    tele. At least when you are covering Tele songs you dont have to wonder if your guitar is close enough.