Which TGP`ers get a real kick out of playing Randy Rhoads` guitar parts ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by BryanMatthews, Feb 21, 2012.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

Now when it comes to Ozzy, I blow hot and cold.

I thought his stuff with sabbath was timeless
    I thought Blizzard of Ozz with Randy was patchy
    I thought Diary of a Madman which he did with Randy was timeless
    I thought Bark at the Moon with Jake had its highs and lows
    I thought Ultimate Sin with Jake had more lows than highs
    I thought everything he did with Zakk sucks balls
    I lost interest in Ozzy.

So, I dug the MP3 version of the Diary album out and set about learning some of those killer songs, there aint a howler to be found on the album. I was just blown away by Randy`s writing on Over the Mountain, I mean what a solo that song has.........its just mindblowing. Its got melody,phrasing and I really had to focus on the timing and flow aspects to make it sound just like what is on the recording. What Rhoads wrote for the rhythm sections just flat out works without stooping to the crap Zakk did with squealing harmonics appearing from all over the place, be it in both the solos and rhythm. Now that I have that song nailed, im itching to learn more from the album, SATO sounds appealing.

Ozzy and Jake hit the buffers after just 3 albums and they were finished together, Zakk has caused unbelievable listener fatigue with relentless pinch harmonics and I hope him and Oz dont pair up again. Its so sad that Rhoads passed away before his peak, I think he would have just gotten better and better...........its such a shame.

Im really enjoying playing Rhoads lines, there aint a wasted note and it just damn well works on all levels. Who else here gets a buzz from playing his lines and which songs in particular do it for you ?

2. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

It's a damn shame Rhoads passed away so early. There's no telling how far he would have gone if he would have lived to a ripe old age. On youtube there's some footage of him noodling away during a sound check. It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I swear I remember thinking "good grief! He's really holding back on all those Ozzy tunes isn't he?".

That said, I have no problems with Zakk. He's got his own recognizable style and image, and that's half the battle right there. I respect him and like his playing. The solo to "No More Tears" is probably in my top 5 favs of all time.

3. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

I suddenly busted out the tapping at the end of Mr. Crowley during an improvised solo the other day.

It worked PERFECTLY. :p I had to stop and laugh. Apparently, I liked his playing, eh?

First thing I learned how to tap.

4. dsimon665

dsimon665 Supporting Member

5. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Randy was my second guitar hero. First was Ace.
    I saw the Blizzard tour in Sep '81 when I was 15. It was amazing to me to see and hear Randy live.
    Randy made a huge impression on me.

I've always held Blizzard and Diary in very high regard. To me they are masterpices.
    As a teen I learned many tunes from both albums, including Dee.
    I even played Dee at one of my college guitar jury trials.

I must admit that every now and then I put on either album and jam along.

6. blong

blong Member

I still play lots of Ozzy tunes for the beautifully melodic solos. My favorites to play are Mr. Crowley, Crazy Train, and Believer. Oh, and Flying High Again.

Bob

7. Custom50

Custom50 Member

unbelievable, unbelievable guitar player.

8. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I like to noodle around with 'Dee,' every now and then. Suicide Solution's main riff is a must when trying a new Marshall. The I Don't Know riff is a good right hand warmer-up'er.

The intro to Mr Crowley is fun on keys, too.

9. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Senior Member

Agree with the OP. The Over The Mountain solo has always been one of, if not, my favorite all time guitar solo. Still gives me goosebumps after all these years.

10. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

Exactly the same for me.
    Played lots of the songs way back when- don't remember what the favorites were at the time, but now i dig the more "classically influenced " ones (Crowley, Revelation, Diary) the best.

Randy is still the one guitarist whose picture hangs on my wall.

11. Ben R

Ben R Member

Randy Rhoads is one of my all tme guitar heroes since I was a kid. I used to spend countless hours trying to figure out his riffs and solos. Love the guy.

:phones
    :beer

12. hearmecrybaby

hearmecrybaby Senior Member

love love love randy rhoads and i'm not at all into hard rock or classic rock.

13. monty

monty Member

Agreed! I'm not a huge ZW fan but that solo is great, in the true sense of the word.

14. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

ONe of the local bands I know from an open mic does quite comprehensive verson of old rock tunes. they can do Crazy train to the letter, and I got to jam in as the lead guitarists one night.

:) :) :) :) :)

one of those tunes you woodshed by yourself and hardly ever get a chance to play live.

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I agree with most of what has been said in this thread. Over the Mountain is the best solo ever and Randy was a friggin' genius.

16. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

Randy was the guy who made me want to know what I was doing on the guitar, theory-wise. I owe him a lot for that.

17. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Revelation Mother Earth, Diary, SATO and Mr. Crowley are just awesome to play. Loud, of course. They must be played loud. As loud as you can, then just a little bit more. :D

18. steve108819

steve108819 Member

Ultimate Sin is my favorite Jake album. Thin sounding production was horrible, but I still love his playing on this. I can't really add anything to the Randy discussion. Randy was Randy.

19. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

Absolutely. That has always been my favorite solo of all time.

20. tonejunky

tonejunky Member

I bet at least 75% of guitarists have gotten a kick out of playing 'Crazy Train' at some point in time.