Which Thiele option?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brain21, May 4, 2015.

1. brain21

brain21 Member

So I'm looking at getting a Thiele cab, and I have a few options, and was looking for some input.

1) Get a TRM cab (~$180 w/ shipping), then buy a speaker (I figure around $150 w/ shipping - possibly a ceramic SRO, the Alnico are too low wattage), cover the cab in white tolex or stain it. The advantage here is that I can put whatever EVM12L variant I want in it for around $100-$150+ s/h

2) Buy a custom built (806 specs) cab with a 300w series II EVM12L already in it. It is covered in carpet so I'd have to strip that crap off and tolex it. Looking at ~$335 w/ shipping.

3) Buy a Mesa Thiele cab with an EVM12L (also series II) in it. Probably strip the tolex and redo it in white. The problem with the Mesa cab is IDK if it is really a proper 806 thiele spec cab. For all I know it could have been one of the newer ones designed for the C90 speaker, and someone threw an EVM12L in it, which would really kinda defeat the purpose. I will email the seller to see if he is the original owner. Is there any way to tell from the cab itself whether it is an 806-spec or a later c90 spec cab?

It would be nice to get the speaker and cab all in one go, but getting them separately offers the most flexibility. That route would likely be upwards of $10-50 more than the others with separate shipping, etc.

Opinions?

Thanks!

2. slybird

slybird Member

If I was buying I would go with the TRM on ebay and stain it. They also look great with a simple tung oil finish.

3. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I have a Thiele cab Tim made to match the width of my Mark V. Great to deal with and excellent work.

4. technomancer

technomancer Member

The design of the Mesa Thiele cab hasn't changed, they just swapped the speaker they're using in them. I've owned both pre and post EV versions and they are identical.

5. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't get too fussed about the 'exactness' of a thiele spec design. I've built 806's with and without internal bracing running EVM12L's and can't tell the difference using the same speaker. Speaker performance will vary depending on atmospheric conditions adding more complexity. I've also noted that some amps sound better with the EVM12L than others. I really like the tone / sound production of a ported sealed cab design.

El Greco made a comment that applies to this situation - 'You rarely regret your luxuries, yet you frequently regret your economy's.'

Russ

6. brain21

brain21 Member

The problem is every time I think on those lines, and lean towards the buy your cab and build your own, my mind starts drifting to building a fEARFUl cab instead... except that it will cost about twice as much.:jo

7. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I like that quote, but are you talking about the painter, or somebody's screen name here? I get nothing when I google it. Just curious.

8. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

The painter. My ex is an interior designer - heard that quote in a room full of interior designers. May be complete crap or attributed to the wrong dude but it is true.

Russ

9. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I've definitely wasted time and money trying to get something on the cheap that didn't work out as hoped/planned.

Then again I've spent big on things that eventually made me a little edgy about how much was tied up in them and the possibility of damage or loss of market value, so I sold them.

On balance though I think the quote is pretty much on target.

10. brain21

brain21 Member

OK, well decided to go the TRM route. I finally found a 12" SRO Ceramic EM 12L speaker (Kustom OEM'ed) thats in good condition, and got it for $100. It did take a while to find one. I see LOTS of 15" and 18" and a few 10", but the 12" SRP Ceramic can be somewhat elusive.

So, I will be ordering a TRM very shortly. Next up a new power amp. The fEARFUl cab can wait, and I can get the poweramp AND the TRM and Speaker all together for about the cost of just the loaded fEARfUL cab.

Thanks guys!