Which to keep: AA6 or Gigboard

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by csweldon, Feb 5, 2020.

1. csweldon

csweldon Supporting Member

This year, to be more financially reasonable, I’m not buying anything without selling stuff to get the cash. I’ve preordered a Bad Cat Paw, so I have roughly a month to make the sales. I’ve already settled on a few lonely cheap acoustic guitars, but the last item is going to be one of my little digital boxes. Just having trouble deciding which!

Pros of AA6:
    -Smaller footprint
    -What can I say, I like turning the knobs like my amps
    -those amp tones!
    -More deep parameters to adjust feel and tone
    -Could use the power amp models in the loop to get that Power Tube Overdrive thing
    -Excellent customer support from Jace
    Cons:
    -Effects, while flexible, are less intuitive

Pros of Gigboard:
    -Extremely intuitive to program
    -Can route the outputs for a bypassed signal on one side; would allow different stereo tones (modeled signal into one of the stereo loops, unaltered signal into the front of the amp)
    -much easier to use the effects
    Cons:
    -I think the AA6 has better tones overall
    -Larger footprint
    -I honestly don’t use many effects

Honestly, I’m leaning towards keeping the Amplifire, but I’m bad at making decisions.

WWTGPD (What would TGP do?)

Electric I likes this.
  2. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Just from reading your comments, I'd guess the AA6 would be a better fit. If you're primarily an amp guy and prefer the Atomic tones, that more likely makes you more happy.

I'd love an Atomic with the interface like a Headrush.

3. the.godfather

the.godfather Member

I say stick with the Atomic for your needs. The 'Cons' list is shorter for a start and you clearly prefer the amp tones. I'm an Atomic user myself and agree with you. I may be biased but I say stick with the Atomic and let the Gigboard go. You should get a little more cash back from the Gigboard too.

4. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

:confused:

:p

FlyingsCool likes this.
  5. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

I get why it's hard to choose. And in the end it really depends on priorities. Do you prioritize ease of use or the amp tones?

I bought an HX Stomp to replace my AA3 because I was really tired of the Atomic UI and looking forward to getting more and easier to program effects from the Stomp. But in the end I felt that the Stomp's amp sounds, or at least the ones I could coax from it along with a couple of known preset vendors, weren't quite up to par with the Atomic's.

In the end I kept both devices because 1. I like running them in 4cm with the AA3 as the 'amp' and 2. the used price I could get from the AA3 was ridiculously low - but if I were to choose only one of them, it would definitely be the Atomic!

Electric I, Elric and csweldon like this.
  6. TonyCass

TonyCass Member

I had both of these units at the same time and chose to stick with the Gigboard. Here were the deciding factors:

Creating or editing presets on the Atomic almost certainly requires a pc. Unless of course the edits are to the tone stack or amp drive / volume. This same process is effortless on the Gigboard. I don't want to be anywhere near a computer when playing guitar.

The effects parameters on the Atomic made no sense to me. Simple things like delays and modulation effects that may only have 3 or 4 dials in real life felt like solving a math equation on the Atomic. The Gigboard is just a representation of the real thing. I also REALLY like the block presets in Headrush. I can save my core tones in every one of my go to effects and easily create new rigs.

The atomic has a fixed signal path with no way to add multiple versions of an effect. Delay and Drive effects are where this bothered me the most. The Giboard is drag and drop with the ability to have split signal paths and dual amps.

The Giboard has a built in looper and the Atomic does not.

The Atomic has incredible amp tones and very creative switching options. I chose to give up that little extra for the far superior flexibility and workflow of the Headrush.

I actually considered an Amplifirebox / HX effects combo. The cost of those units combined puts me into the price point of the Headrush Pedalboard or the Helix LT. Those are just too big for me.

7. dmock66

dmock66 Member

This sums up what I was thinking.

I got an AA3 when it released. I agree - the amp tones are AMAZING. I think their JCM800 is TOP SHELF! I actually moved to the AA3 from the 11R, so I am quite familiar with the Headrush modeling as well. The Gigboard addressed all the things I didn't like about the 11R - and I actually have one coming in tomorrow. I can weigh in further after I use it a bit - but I still agree with the above assessment.

I also currently have a Stomp/Helix - and have been quite happy with the Line 6 platform (and support).

In summary - I agree with Tony - that's what I would do - but as also stated above - it does sound like you're a happy Atomic guy - in which case, stick with it! You've got two good choices, so IMO, you win regardless of your decision!

Electric I likes this.
  8. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

This kind of reminds me a bit of the Helix vs AX8 debate from a couple years ago...Helix had the UI and workflow thought out really well while AX8 had the sound quality and variety of models. So you either went with Helix and hoped they might make improvements over time (which I think they have) or went AX8 and lived with the interface.

With AA6 vs Gigboard, the hardware is what it is. AA6 will never have a great interface; they would need a new version to come out. So the hope would be Headrush can update the functionality and maybe add a couple new models and get close enough!

dmock66 likes this.
  9. Imerkat

Imerkat Supporting Member

I tried googling up the amp you are getting but all I got was pictures of cats breaking things. I would sell both and buy a used AA3 or Firebox if you still need a small modeling unit.

Electric I likes this.
  10. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Both companies seem pretty much....inert.

You gotta accept them for what they are now.

Electric I, rdrisk55, Jarick and 2 others like this.
  11. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

https://www.badcatamps.com/shop/player-series/the-paw/the-paw/

I must admit I was intrigued when I saw this. A 'desktop' hybrid amp with tube pre and SS power amp with stereo outputs. I'd like to hear how this would sound with my modeler's stereo outs fed into the stereo fx loop and stereo out to my 212 cab... Honestly, it would probably just be an (even more) expensive PowerCab+ with less flexibility, but I'm still curious :D

Electric I and Imerkat like this.
  12. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

There is really nothing else that exists to replace those 2 of approximately the same size.
    The modeler market is not really that deep.
    FM3 might be the right replacement, but as of now it isn't available.

13. Electric I

Electric I Member

Another vote for the AA6. But I'm biased, owning a 3/6.

For all the hand-wringing over Amplifier's UI, I'm so used to it now that I found the Stomp cumbersome for the time I had it.

And so looking forward to the Paw amp. I'm one comprehensive demo away from pre-ordering...

Madmax25 likes this.
  14. Electric I

Electric I Member

Imerkat likes this.
  15. csweldon

csweldon Supporting Member

It could be argued that, for what I use them for, anything short of an Axe or Kemper would essentially be a lateral move. I intend to upgrade later this year when the next wave of floorboard options arrives (FM3 or Quad Cortex) I see where you’re coming from, but that’s not where I am today!

16. FlyingsCool

FlyingsCool Member

:spit

JiveTurkey likes this.
  17. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

From what I read here the Mooer and Ampero are considered a step down from the AA6 and Gigboard.
    I don't know anything about the

The Quad Cortex does not yet exist.

Pod Go also does not yet exist and isn't as small as the AA6 and Gigboard.

The Hx Stomp has much less processing power compared to the AA 6 and the Gigboard.

18. TonyCass

TonyCass Member

I went back and listened to some of the stuff I recorded with my Atomic Amplifire. I’m seriously considering picking up a firebox again and putting it in the effects loop of my Gigboard.

19. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

I have a AA6 and a Pedalboard.. As much as I love my AA6 I love the Pedalboard more. I think the Marshalls sound better on the HR. That is the sound I love so I don't have any experience with other amp models. I did prefer the SLO tone on the HR too. I also love that is works as an audio interface and is very easy to setup a rig from the awesome touch screen.

Being able to quickly and easily sample IRs with the HR makes it one of the best tools out there, IMO, for dialing in that perfect tone. IRs make a huge difference in tone and I can sample dozens of IRs very quickly with the HR.

But for now I am keeping both. There is still much more to explore.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  20. dmock66

dmock66 Member

The SLO was always knocked as "not their best effort" on the Atomic. I read that they re-did the model with their latest update and that it made a difference.

I really liked the JCM800 and Hot Brit on the Atomic. I also liked the JCM800 and modified 800 in the 11R. My Gigboard was delivered last night but I've not had a chance to fire it up yet. I have a decent collection of IRs that should pair up well with the HR Marshalls. I'm looking forward to getting back to those amp models.