Which to keep: Klon(e) or Timeline

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bo13bo, Feb 8, 2012.

TGP'ers, should I????

1. Keep Klone get rid of Timeline

2. Keep Timeline get rid of Klone (suggest another Boost/OD below)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

Getting frustrated with the high-pitch noise others have experienced with the Klon(e)/Timeline combo.

Anything close to a Klon that doesn't have the high-pitch noise issue with the Klon(e)? I've not tried too many Boost/ODs but have run through the gamut of a Zvex SHO, Super Duper, Vintage TS9, Maxon OD808, Timmy, JHS Klone.

I like the Klone but this noise is killing me and I really don't want to give up on the Timeline so quickly, just got it few weeks ago.

2. Walkerjerry

Walkerjerry Member

...and just to clarify, you're supplying isolated power to the Timeline, right?

3. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

Not through a Pedal Power but through individual wall adaptors. It's been documented that it's an issue combining the two. Was the same problem for the older Damage Control Timeline, not just the new Strymon version I have.

4. mlweidl

mlweidl Member

Ya I've got the same issue. They are both unreplacable in my setup. But I think the Klon would be easier to replace

5. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

Let me know if you find a good replacement for the Klon sound. I just don't want to have to go through 10 pedals to find another Boost/OD.

6. Socrates

Socrates Member

I'd personally get rid of the Timeline, but I'm content with a simple DD-7 so...

7. Less=more

Less=more Member

Maybe get rid of the Timeline and get a El Cap seeing as many guys are doing that anyways. If you need more delay then the El Cap and a Brigader or something else.

8. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

That's a tough call... For me it would be whether the Klon(e) is essential or not. I'd see if I could find something to replace the Klon(e) before unloading the Timeline. Klone pedals are everywhere these days.

9. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

I say check out the Walrus Audio Voyager...Amazing OD circuit, very Klon-like to my ears, with it's own unique flavor (I'm still trying to get one...my bandmate has one).

10. ARch

ARch Member

Very confused as to what's happening here. Have you talked to Strymon & the Klone builder? That's not right.

11. Hecube

Hecube Senior Member

I got rid of the high-pitched sound by powering both pedals with a Voodoo Lab PP2+. I have a real Klon and an El Cap.

So my answer to you is: keep both but get a power supply with isolated jacks.

12. Socrates

Socrates Member

wait....you're powering these off the same, unisolated power supply? There's likely the source of your problem.

13. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

I'm using to katana clean boost with no issues with the timeline.

14. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

I use a Kingsley Jester v.2 on the "Klon Centaur" setting to drive my TimeLine and Fender SRRI. Beautiful! And no noise.

15. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

No, using separate adapters. Like I mentioned previously this issue has been around since the damage control timeline.

16. Hecube

Hecube Senior Member

I'll bet it's the power supply Strymon provides.

17. baj2k

baj2k Member

Keep both. I believe this chap in the UK may have solved this issue. Stuff in ( ) I added for clarity and for US parts supplier link.

From a Guitar Effects Blog... "Yes I'm pretty sure they're the wrong ones mate (Charge Pump). You need the ICL7660"S" like these: http://uk.farnell.com/intersil/icl7660scpaz/ic-volt-converter-7660-dip8/dp/9663711 (or US retailer: http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/629253-ic-multi-config-adj-8dip-icl7660scpaz.html ). With Boost at pin 1. With the standard ICL7660 (and Max1044) the oscillator frequency is 10kHZ, which is of course in the audio range. With the S type and pins 1 & 8 connected the oscillator frequency is 35kHZ and so you don't get the squeal. "