which Tone Bender?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shawnee, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Shawnee

Shawnee Member

Hello guys,
    I am looking for a Tone Bender type pedla for Zeppelin tones. I will playing a Les paul through a Hot rodded Marshall (set almost clean). I have been looking at the Retro Channel Fuzz, MJM pedals, Soulbender, Throbak, ect. Anyone have a favorite for Zep tones?

2. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I thought the original fulltone soulbender had a very nice zep tone to it.

That said a DAM mkii is supposed to be the end all tonebender and jimmy used a mkii alot.

The DAM is expensive.. but remember the pedal is only going to sound as good as the transistors
    used and how well they are matched and tuned in the circuit. The throbak stonebender sounds great
    but it uses run of the mill transistors.. not mullard oc81's.

3. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Very happy with my Soulbender. I'm sure the DAM stuff is great, but you don't absolutely NEED to spend that kind of dough to get convincing Zep tones, IMHO.

4. SUPERMUFF1

SUPERMUFF1 Member

Skinpimp mkll is very very good or you can check out Montgomery Appliances they use good quality components and look to have very good build quality

Just to be clear I have a skinpimp mkll with oc84s and its great and I have been meaning to try one of the M-A Mkll smallbox pedals.

The D*a*m stuff is killer but the price tag will kill ya... The D*a*m is like the ferrari of tonebender clones.

5. Brian

Brian Member

Hi Mr S;
    or you could pm spookybonus right here on TGP,he builds a really
    killer MKII tonebender clone !!

6. Ginsly

Ginsly Member

I second the spookybonus idea - he does great work, and communicates very well. The prices are great for what he makes. The MKII I bought from him is unreal!

7. 2061X

2061X Member

I just got a Williams Audio MK11 special. I think it's amazing for Zeppelin, especially when running it into my cranked Marshall. This pedal made me an instant Tonebender MK11 fan. It has a pedalboard friendly footprint too!

8. cob666

cob666 Member

I was in a band that did mainly late 60's stuff and used a Prescription Electronics YardBox into a Fender Twin. Came VERY close to Page's early fuzz sound.

9. drolling

drolling Member

Me too!
    As am I. Have been for many years now..

And it's nice to see other players agree - Last time I recommended it to guitarists looking to cop that 'British Invasion' tone, I got clobbered by a pile of purists, all claiming that it's based on a version of the circuit that Page/Beck never used

While that may be the case, every time I plug it in, I think Led Zep/Yardbirds, etc. A great fuzz, IMO

10. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

+1 on soul bender

I tried a mk1 clone (acidfuzz) and a brit-bender. Both "replica" circuts. Both are gone. The soul bender has the warmth and controlability. Instant page to my ears. One of my top 3 all time favorite pedal purchases ever. Its not leaving.

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Jimmy Behan does a very good MkII at prices that are much more friendly than Williams, Throback or Skinpimp and construction that's equally good.

12. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

I really love my BYOC Two-Knob Bender. I'm building a second one.

I also really like the EQD Tone Reaper. Very versatile for a bender but still has lots of bender-ishness.

13. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

To note.. the soulbender is a mkiii.. not a mkii. But it was still tasty. Better than the skinpimp mkiii ive had.

The skinpimp mkii is a great suggestion..clips have been killer.

14. Shawnee

Shawnee Member

Thank you for the replies everyone. I will check these out!

15. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I have to say I have had a lot of benders and still have quite a few, Skinpimp DAM, EQD, and others, but I was very impressed recently with the Retro Fuzz. Tried this at a shop and was really taken with then voicing, had a lot of cut and plenty of balls, sounded like it might cut better with a band than some of my benders. It even cleaned up pretty well with the Strat I played through it.

I plan to add this to the stable soon.

16. shawnpurcell

shawnpurcell Member

Williams (OC81) and Acid Fuzz (OC75) Both are OUTSTANDING!!!! The Acid Fuzz is very cool as it has bias pot, tone toggle (a bass reduction switch which is kinda cool), as well as a battery kill on/off toggle... I know Nick at Williams is also doing LEDs and Battery Kill toggles as well now. Can't go wrong with either builder IMHO.

17. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

Went on a serious Bender bender today...

18. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

Thats one hell of a Bender bender there Nick. I'm gonna wait till I get home so I can listen to it through my monitors.

19. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

i received a yardbox for my birthday and i like it better than the throbak & the skinpimp & the fulltone's i had. the yardbox has way more tweaks and tones than any of those pedals. it has been around for too many years to gather accolades any more but they are a great, great players benders.

20. bonedaddy

bonedaddy Member

find a nice used Lumpy's Tone Shop Mark II/Led Bender...