• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Which tone is better?

rh

Robo Sapien NoiseMaker
Platinum Supporting Member
To the extent everything's been translated well enough from your amp to my computer sound system to really judge:

The first has more character (complexity and bite), the second is smoother and seems better for the legato bits.

Seems like having a front-panel toggle for switching mid caps might be a useful feature, since they seem to make such a big difference and both differences are so usable.

scottl

Originally posted by rh
To the extent everything's been translated well enough from your amp to my computer sound system to really judge:

The first has more character (complexity and bite), the second is smoother and seems better for the legato bits.

Seems like having a front-panel toggle for switching mid caps might be a useful feature, since they seem to make such a big difference and both differences are so usable.
Thanks RH! One step ahead of you bro. I already added a pull pot that switches between values! Works perfectly. I am just trying to decide which way is my fave.

Scott

Myron Stratis

Well this is a hard choice! Each one of these two tones has it's character and I can say that I like both! :) That new mic seems to do a great job, the guitar sounds huge! :)

rwe333

Nice playing and tones, SL.
That said these posts always confuse me as - at the end of the day - all that really matters is what you find the most unique, dig?
But you know this...

scottl

Originally posted by Myron Stratis
Well this is a hard choice! Each one of these two tones has it's character and I can say that I like both! :) That new mic seems to do a great job, the guitar sounds huge! :)
Thanks Myron and Wayne! Working on finding it Wayne....

Btw guys, my hosting company just went down. If you can't dload the clips, try back periodically. Probably just a server reboot I hope....

Woodyworld

Originally posted by scottl
Hi guys,

I did these two takes over Marin's E minor funky jazzy backing. The first take is a .047 midcap, the second take is a .01 midcap. Simialr tones yet very different.

Thanks for listening!

.047 midcap http://www.scottlernermusic.com/audix/Marin047midcap1.MP3

.01 midcap http://www.scottlernermusic.com/audix/Marin01midcap.MP3

Btw, I used my Heatley semihollow on these takes. EVM12L speaker and SLX100. Also, my brand new Audix I5 mic.
Jee what you been taking lately - your playing seems to have hit another level!!

Ok my preference is the 01 midcap out of the two - can't nail exactly why it just hits the spot for me

Marcello

Originally posted by Woodyworld
Jee what you been taking lately - your playing seems to have hit another level!!
less diapers maybe ? :D

I liked 047 best (tone + take)
great job dude

abergdahl

Prefer the 01 cap, more bit and character to the tone. Both sound great though. And playing is fantastic.

Tag

Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro
first one.

Agreed! Second one sounds fuzzier by comparison.

Great playing! Chops are getting REALLY good! Teach those shredders a lesson! ;)

Figs tone is still better for some reason. Its brighter, but clearer with less fuzz. Pups on the guitar maybe? Speaker? Recording? Make my amp sound like his, not yours. :p ;)

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by Tag

Great playing! Chops are getting REALLY good! Teach those shredders a lesson! ;)

Figs tone is still better for some reason. Its brighter, but clearer with less fuzz. Pups on the guitar maybe? Speaker? Recording? Make my amp sound like his, not yours. :p ;)
Stop agreeing with me...makes me feel like the end of the world is near.
BTW, i put up another take in the Mr.Magic thread that may be tag approved.:dude

scottl

Originally posted by Tag

Our amps are the same... It is different settings, different speaker, different guitar, different pickups, different micing angle, etc... I was also going for a certain tone. I am trying to get a loose farty bass thing happening.

lhallam

As most have pointed out, they both sound good.

.047 seems to have just little more of that spongey, chewy sound than in the .01 clip.

The .01 has a little more pick attack ting/ping on the top strings. It's not objectionable at all in your clip.

Things sound a lot different in your room, or at least it's easier to hear the subtle differences live.

Great playing.

Tag

Our amps are the same... It is different settings, different speaker, different guitar, different pickups, different micing angle, etc... I was also going for a certain tone. I am trying to get a loose farty bass thing happening.
I guess tone is all in the fingers. He obviously has it and you do not. LOL!! :moon

(My amp is going to come back sounding like a Crate. :mad: )

;)

scottl

Originally posted by Tag
I guess tone is all in the fingers. He obviously has it and you do not. LOL!! :moon

;)
Haha! After that comment you are gonna be lucky if it sounds like a Crate! I was thinking more horrid dry Marshall tone... LOL :D

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Haha! After that comment you are gonna be lucky if it sounds like a Crate! I was thinking more horrid dry Marshall tone... LOL :D
hEY! There are those of us who live by horrid dry marshall tone!

Tag

NO!!!!!! NOT THAT!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:

lhallam

Originally posted by Tag

;)
I got to see our man in action. He's about as dogged as one can get:

---------------------------------------------- D.S. al Perfect Tone
||: put in a component | listen | decide what it needs :||

Perfect Tone
| done || :cool:

fig

Originally posted by Tag

:D

Trending Topics