Which tracking software is most like Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Brusco, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Brusco

Brusco Member

Is there a program that uses layers to edit tracks? Basically, I want to paste on top of a track without affecting the location of the music that's under it on the master kick track. After I had it sounding right or in time, I could merge the layers to have my finished track.

For instance, I have a drum performance where the kick drum is not always in time. I'd like to move the kick hits ahead or behind the spot without affecting the signal around it. If I could copy the kick hit to a layer on top of the bad kick hit and see it transparently on top. This top kick hit could be moved anywhere across the track while hearing only whats on the top in relation to what's before and after it on the bottom layer.

Basically, I want to paste on top of a track without affecting the location of the music that's under it.

Any such program?

2. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

You can do pretty much what you are talking about in Pro-Tools and the likes.

Peace,
    duffy

3. Praline

Praline Member

You want one track to obscure another?

I would just reconstruct your loop in Wavelab, and move the drum hits where you want them.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

If you literally want the visual appearance of transparency, I don't know of such a program. It's not a bad idea, but compared to the way it's commonly done you wouldn't be able to see as much detailed information at once, nor would it be clear which track you were working on at any given time. It could be very confusing.

On most (all) audio editors, each track appears as a long horizontal image, like a length of tape. Multiple tracks are stacked one above the other vertically. To line up a kick to a bass, you position one below the other. You can also create a tempo grid and line up the attack transients to the grid very quickly using different methods. IMO ProTools is the easiest software to use for what you want to do.

5. songsmith1950

songsmith1950 Member

Cool Edit Pro was bought out by Adobe and is now called Audition. You can get a free full functional 30 sample on the net if you go to google or just www.adobe.com

It is a bit expensive but will do exactly what you wish for and a million things more. It is what I used to piece together cable TV and radio commercials for such as Comcast, Mercedes, Ford, GM, and many many more.

It is a fully pro multi track recording program.

You could do the same on Sonar or some of the others but it would take much longer.

Tom

Songsmith

6. elambo

elambo Member

I'm curious to know how Cool Edit Pro is faster than Sonar or some of the others at lining up audio tracks...? I haven't used that program in years and I'd like to know what feature makes it much faster than ProTools, for instance.