1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Which tremolo pedal/s for on/off effect?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tiltrite, Jul 8, 2006.

1. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

on/off.... extreme.... hard.... square wave. I've heard it put a lot of ways;

I'm looking to get that on/off sound. for instance: instead of using my LP's guitar toggle (ex: neck pup vol on zero, bridge on 10- you know what I mean?) to get the on/off I'd like to be able to stomp on a pedal to get the same effect.
    :drool

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Most I've tried can do that - Semaphore, Keeley TR2, Analogman TR2, Pulsar...etc..

A few I think CAN"T do that....Demeter trem, Swamp Thang, Fluttertone

4. Bernardduur

Bernardduur Member

I used a Commonsound / 3MS Tremulus Lune for a while; it was one of the most versatile tremolo effects I've ever played.

And it can do that choppy tremolo quite easy.

5. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

the chopper looks interesting. The type of effect in sample #23 is what I'm after.

The variable speed thing would be VERY useful to me. Now having said that, what about using a T.I.P 3rd hand attached to the rate knob of a more ordinary trem pedal? :Devil

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

That would work as well, and the 3rd hand has power-through, so you don't need an extra jack open on a power unit.

I'm considering running the chopper at the end of my modulation/time based effects in stereo, through the mega wah/volume/filter, as I need a stereo split somewhere and the pan will probably be great in stereo.

7. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Z-Vex Seek Trem - does it perfectly, along with any type of trem pattern you can imagine. I love mine - check one out - most versatile trem out there.

8. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

+1 on the Z-Vex.

9. drolling

drolling Member

Back in the 80s, BOSS released a small, short-lived batch of pedals that were mostly stinkers (anyone remember the Enhancer?) but playing thru' modern SS amps at the time, my interest was piqued by the PN-2 tremolo/pan pedal.

This one's obviously stereo, and as they were pushing it as a panner, the effect's speed pot goes way past any conventional tremolo's, into a *slow zone* that renders it pretty well useless for standard trem. Conversely, the useable range or tremolo's bunched up into the final 1/4 turn of the pot, making for tricky 'on-the-fly' adjustments.

The switch (detented knob) used to select trem or pan also has hard and soft settings - changing the sine wave from square to curved; abrupt to smooth trem/pan efects.

I've since replaced all my amps w/old tube models, each w/their own unique take on the tremolo sound - but I still love my little green PN-2, as the "hellecopter-chop" (squarewave) setting is waay more intense than any amp trem I've heard.

They are discontinued, but I've seen many reasonabled priced examples in pawn shops over the years..

10. maestro_nl

maestro_nl Member

Cusack Tap-A-Whirl and Empress Tremolo will do it for you!
    Also both analog and tap.

11. pepperco

pepperco Member

I have a Boss PN-2 for the choppy stuff. Its the best I
    have found for the extreme on/off. I had a Fulltone
    but the chop did not cut it. hehe:rotflmao
    I wish I would have taken the advice I asked for a few
    years ago, and just got the PN-2, way back when.
    My "chopper" search would have been over.

The Zvex is very cool, my singer has one.

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The Catalinbread Semaphore does that effect very sweetly.

13. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Do any of these pedals besides the Gigfx chopper have ramping up/down capabilities? Either expression pedal outs or a good tap tempo (not abrupt?)

14. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

I'm currently using an HBE Tramp (tremolo/preamp) for this effect.
    Nice thing is it has a separate switch for tremolo so you can use the preamp as a booster. Won't do wavy trem sounds but nails chopper sounds quite well.
    I've heard the 4-knob Voodoo Labs and the SIB Treminator can do hard chop well also.

15. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

just got the new eh stereo pulsar, it does that very very well and cheap too.

16. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Empress Trem. Listen to the clips.

17. bdab_rock

bdab_rock Member

The Demeter Tremulator DOES do that i use it all the time for really choppy Radiohead sounds