Which tuner goes where? (help with Grover locking tuners)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Tito83, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Tito83

Tito83 Member

Had a little nephew helping out putting together an LP for a friend, I was changing the tuners and asked him to give me them, but he mixed them up because he got distracted with his flying unicorn pet and ... Ok, it was me. :bonk

There are two PW2 and one PW1 in the left side side and two PW1 and one PW2 in the right side, what's the right order? :dunno:huh

2. bluesky636

bluesky636 Member

Are the tuner posts staggered in height? If they are, the pair with the tallest posts go on the low and high "E", the next shorter go on the "A" and "B", and the shortest pair go on the "D" and "B". If they are all the same height, it is irrelevant. I think the "P1" and "P2" are just casting marks.

3. trishoot

trishoot Gold Supporting Member

You also nee to make sure that the holes through the tuners for the string are matched with the correct string. On my Grover lockers, there are three with the smaller hole and three with the larger hole for the wound strings.

4. bluesky636

bluesky636 Member

Maybe that is the difference. I have never seen tuners like that, but I have never used Grover locking tuners before. All the lockers I have used were of staggered heights.