Which Tweed amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pete12string, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

An overdriving Bassman is very loud.

I’ve also got a 20w non-MV Marshall. That’s loud, but the 45w Bassman wound up is just another level of thunk.

One day I’ll own a SLP, which I image is an equivalent step up again.

pete12string likes this.
  2. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Bassman LTD is a great option. Love mine... sounds good at 3 1/2 to 4 without being too loud. Sound great at 4 1/2+ but needs a bigger stage when you get it up there. :aok

saltydogg and pete12string like this.
  3. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Silver Supporting Member

THIS X 1000%.

I own a Bassman and a Harvard (it's a custom L'il Dawg build of the 5F10 circuit in a head cab), and they are both "desert island" amp, however, for what the OP is looking for, the 5F10 (or 5F11 Vibrolux) would the ticket. 12 Watts, 3 different input attenuations for almost any volume requirement, it still gets that "growl" at reasonable volumes that everyone loves from the Deluxe, but until it gets there, it's MUCH cleaner and more 3D sounding than the 5E3. Biggest drawback to an original Harvard was the fact that it came in a 10" combo. The Vibrolux added tremolo and a 12" speaker, so its a bit better in original form, but until you've plugged a 5F10 Circuit into a good open-back 2X12 with Ceramic speakers, you haven't heard the best live-gig amp ever made. It takes pedals MUCH better than the 5E3, as well.

The big differences between the 5E3 and the 5F10 are a different preamp tube, a different phase inverter and a negative feedback loop.

Listen to a few clips of some. I have one here I did a few years back when I first got my Lil Dawg 5F10... it's a SSS Rocketfire Strat. It's a backing track and I laid down two tracks... a nice clean rhythm (played through the #3 input (the least attenuated) and backed off on the guitar volume a touch. nice, pristine, clean strat tones. The dominant track, however is the strat straight into the # 2 position and the amp volume pushed up to where it started to break up and the tone rolled down a good bit on the guitar. Lots of boring Pentatonic Minor runs, but you can hear the amp really well. Somewhere in the middle (about 2:55) I hit a EP3 Boost pedal that dulled things a bit, but the amp by itself sounds fantastic. Also there is NO reverb or delay on this cut and it was played through an oversize 1X12 Cab with a Celestion A-Type speaker.

Also, this was the amp of choice for a lot of session guys in the 60s, most notably Steve Cropper - a lot of those early Booker T and the MG's cuts, as well as his work on Otis Redding's albums featured this amp.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  4. GenoBluzGtr

Another alternate that I have used in the past is the "hidden gem" 5F4 Tweed Super platform. 2X10s (I suggest a mix of Alnico and Ceramic here). Good Cleans, can get as loud as a bigger amp, and stays pretty clean (well, clean for a tweed), and takes pedals very well. I believe these are about 28 Watts, two-6L6s. Same circuit as a Bandmaster and Pro with different OT and speaker config.

here is a clip of a Clark Penrose 2X10 I had for a few years and gigged with frequently. It fills a stage pretty nicely... not "quite a Bassman" (NOTHING fills a stage like a 4X10 tweed Bassman!), but a much lighter alternative... it CAN drive naturally, but is a bit louder than I like for that (we play smaller venues).

In this the amp has a KLON-clone on for most of the clip, and a BB Preamp overdrive occasionally to drive it harder. Strat here, but it sounded FANTASTIC with a good set of humbuckers pushing it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    jpervin and pete12string like this.
  5. GenoBluzGtr

and just for comparison, here is the same strat into a Tweed Bassman raw (no pedals or processing) This Bassman started out as a 1990 reissue, but was gutted and rewired PTP. Blue Frame Eminence Speakers. On this clip, I believe it was turned up to 7 or 8 on the volume (WAAAY too loud for any venue I've ever played), and couple with the bright strat, I think this clip is brighter than a Tweed Bassman CAN be with the right guitar/pickups. I also had it set fairly bright with Presence and Midi dimes and bass control almost off, but that's how Greg Koch says he likes it. Inputs were bridged but the bright volume was much higher than the Normal Volume. Only the lead track is mine the rest of it is backing track.

667, saltydogg and pete12string like this.
  6. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

Killer tone, great playing! I wish that was me!

pete12string likes this.
  7. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I REALLY like the sound of that Harvard! The clean and OD sounds are just about what I'm looking for! Thanks for posting. :aok

8. GenoBluzGtr

Thanks Guys... appreciate the feedback!

I would suggest you check with Jim Nickelson at L'il Dawg and get one of his. The one he built for me has all the upgrades, and it was less than a Grand. Excellent workmanship.

pete12string likes this.
  9. Pantone 333

Pantone 333 Member

It's been said previously, but I would totally go for either the Bandmaster or Bassman.

pete12string likes this.
  10. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Check out Muleskinner amps.

pete12string likes this.
  11. PhilC

PhilC Supporting Member

Magic 5E35 with the bigger cab and xformers. Gets you a bit more oomph using 6L6's but still definitely a tweed.

71strat, pete12string and ebenezer like this.
  12. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

The tweed Vibrolux has a 10” speaker not a 12”. But it does have a Deluxe size cabinet so you can install a 12” by just changing the baffle.

pete12string likes this.
  13. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Clapton Twinolux and Bandmaster

pete12string likes this.
  14. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

15. matchless

matchless Silver Supporting Member

If you are wanting to stay with a single 12",I have two suggestions, a model "D" deluxe circuit has less drive and stays cleaner than an "E" deluxe would and my favorite,a big box tweed tremolux- 18-19 watts that has complex cleans that go to a nice grind. I have all three and a Harvard as well.

pete12string likes this.
  16. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Also, Mojotone has many tweed amps, made in North Carolina, at very good prices:
    https://www.mojotone.com/kits/TweedAmpKits_x#/

They have amp building classes, some at Mojotone, some at Sweetwater.
    You could probably find videos of the guys running their amp department.

pete12string and DiPa like this.
  17. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

If you want the Deluxe sound with more headroom look at the Pro and Bandmaster. Don’t be afraid of 15” speakers they are very underrated!! The controls on the Pro & Bandmaster are interactive and you can control the gain/dirt with the tone knobs by dialing to 12 for early dirt or half way and things stay clean.

The 3x10” sounds huge and is super punchy. Great with humbuckers or singles, but for single coils only I might look at the Pro as the 15” loves single coils.

pete12string likes this.
  18. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

All the reasons you said were why I got a Tungsten Crema Wheat. A bit higher headroom brought to you by bigger transformers, which will put you at 20 watts. And it also still takes 6v6's, which in my opinion are part of the magic behind the 5e3. Different power tubes have different gain characteristics.

pete12string and jpervin like this.
  19. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

pete12string likes this.
  20. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

This type of amp is my favorite! I have a Victoria Ivy League with 12” and its an awesome little combo amp. Stays clean until you really get it cooking.

I also had Jim at Lil Dawg build me a 5E4A Super head and it’s amazing as well. It’s even further down the road towards clean and less mid heavy. It has a deeper base, clearer high, and less mid push than the Ivy League.

Can’t go wrong with either of those options in my opinion.

pete12string likes this.