Which Tweed Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtrshow, Feb 25, 2009.

1. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

I'm looking to add a tweed to my collection, and trying to figure out which model would be the best fit. I owned and loved a Vicky Deluxe but, while the overdriven tones were to die for, the lack of clean headroom was ultimately a dealbreaker. Ideally, I'd like something with ample headroom that breaks up similar to a Deluxe - I'm thinking 30-50W, probably in the middle or higher end of that range.

A Double Deluxe seems like an obvious choice, but I'm not sure it would have the headroom I'd like. A low power twin might be the best bet, but that's $$$. Would a Super or Bandmaster do the trick? What about a Bassman? The LTD seems like a really nice amp at a decent price, but would it be overkill in terms of headroom?

For reference, my #1 guitar is a G&L Bluesboy (ie. Tele thinline w/ neck HB), and I'm shooting for tones in the alt.country, blues, Stones/Faces/Crowes vein.

2. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Supporting Member

bassman sounds like the way to go. plenty of clean headroom with the 4 speakers. i know a lot of guys on here use them and love them, so i'd assume they dirty up at a reasonable level

3. jayn

jayn Member

I've gone from a tweed Deluxe clone to a tweed Bandmaster clone. I think it's a logical step given what you are looking for. Alternatively, a Super with more efficient speakers would probably work. I have a trio of Jensen P10R's in the Bandmaster. There are a ton of tones and gain levels in the BM once you learn how to work the controls and the inputs (including jumpering...).

4. Bongo Jonny

Bongo Jonny Member

I have a bassman and it has fantastic tones with the right pedals in front, but i have to say the volume of the amp is sometimes a problem. I only get a chance to use it at a decent volume at outdoor gigs; it is too loud for small pub/bar gigs IMHO

depends what you want to use it for

5. heisthl

heisthl Member

6. tommytomcat

tommytomcat Member

As mentioned above, the 5e7, 5e5 or 5f4 is the next logical step up if you like the tweed drive of a 5e3. These circuits won't ever be twin reverb/5f6a clean.. but there's a 3d layer of clean riding on the OD and you control the OD with your guitar's volume control and pick dynamics. You can clean the amp up even more by modding the cathode bypass cap of the cathode follower that drives the tone controls. Also, if you want to dance closer to the clean side with those circuits, I'd use lower wattage ceramics.. (i.e. jensen mod50's, warehouse speaker 10", weber sig series 10S.. if $$ is no object: weber 10F125(T) )The 5f6a bassman is insufferably loud when dialed in the to the sweet spot and way way cleaner than the 5e7/5f4. Also, The sweet spot on the 5e7/5f4 circuit is pretty wide, IMO. These are great early Stone's amps when cranked.. The Who/Pete T used a 5e7 to record much of the early Who stuff.. The intro to china grove is a 5e7.. And, my favorite blues guy Hollywood Fats played this circuit.

7. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

8. Trout

Trout Member

Have you checked out Richters Supra-Luxe?
    35W 2 X 10 Tweed 5E3.

9. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

From what you've said, I think the Bassman is going to have too much headroom (it sounds like you want a good amount of headroom, but still want to be able to brown up the sound a little when you are so inclined). In my experience, the Bassman has a lot more headroom than a Deluxe. If I were you, I would bite the bullet and go for a low power Twin. It may set you back a bit, but if it has the tone you are looking for it will be worth it.

10. scottlaned

scottlaned Supporting Member

11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Bassman gets my vote. Bandmaster would also be an excellent choice.

12. sqadan

sqadan Member

I say Bassman for headroom....

But I'm biased. :D

[​IMG]

13. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

How about the Twin 57 Reissue? I've heard this is an awesome amp, but I have only played through one at GC for about 15 minutes.

14. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Agree. I love my Bassman but I'm finding that it is too powerful for small club gigs(most of what we play). I am currently looking for something in the 15-30 watt range for small clubs when mic'd. I will use the Bassman for larger gigs. I love that amp and will never sell it. I can easily say that after 26 years of playing guitar the '59 Bassman LTD is the best amp I have ever owned.:bow

15. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

How does that Les Paul sound through the Bassman? I am having serious Les Paul GAS recently. I bet it would absolutely growl through my Bassman and Crunch Box.

16. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Tweed pro and the lo power tweed twin are hard to beat for tele IMHO. Bandmaster types are sweet as hell also, but my own taste runs more to larger speakers. You can really push the tweed pro. It's not worlds away from the deluxe tone, but bigger, louder, more refined (if you get the 5E5A type with fixed bias.) The '57 tweed twin RI I have does the neat trick of sounding good a various volume levels. It can get quite loud, but doesn't have to go there to work just fine. (You will want to get it loud ... the responsiveness and feel are something special higher up on the dial.)

17. blastastick

blastastick Senior Member

1x15 Tweed Pro Sounds what might fit the bill.

18. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

I went from a Vickie Deluxe to their Double Deluxe and I can assure you it's what you are asking for! I've owned their low powered twin as well as their 45410 Bassman and both the Fender '57 twin and Fender Bassman RI LTD. The Victoria Double Deluxe is the best sounding and most pick sensitive tweed I've owned and most versatile as you can switch from the supplied 5AR4 to a 5Y3 and essentially go from a 40 watt to a 30 watt.......add the interactive tone control and channel jumping and you can transform the amount headroom as well as crunch.[​IMG][​IMG]

19. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions. The Richter Supra-Luxe sounds especially interesting. I just wonder how it would sound through 2x10's.

20. Trout

Trout Member

I auditioned one about a month ago. The biggest thing I noted was bass tightness, She has Jensen Neo 10/100's in there which tend to be pretty neutral and tight to begin with.
    Lots of punch, and a bit more growl in the mids. It really does a big fat clean when balancing the volumes controls since they interact the same as a 5E3.
    If I were playing medium/small places, I have no doubt the sound guys would be bitchin.