Which Twin??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WorkinSteamin, Apr 24, 2015.

1. WorkinSteamin

WorkinSteamin Member

My son is graduating with a masters in jazz guitar in May. I will get him a new amp as a graduation present. In both of his senior recitals, he sounded great on a TRRI. So I'm thinking a Twin. The question is, TRRI or a 68 Custom. What do you guys think?

2. e???

e??? Member

I'd ask him. Twins are pretty heavy, you usually need someone to help you carry it. Or a deluxe or vibrolux maybe. If you're just going to grab one either way I'd go for the 68 line. The deluxe, vibrolux, Princeton, and twin all sound great to me in the 68' line.

3. Lef T

Lef T Member

I tried a 68 Custom and it was OK.
    I tried out 5 different 65 TRRI's in the store
    and actually picked the used one.
    They actually all sounded different.
    Maybe the used one was broken in.
    It was totally stock,but just outplayed the others,for some reason.
    Maybe the 68 needed breaking in too.
    I wish I could be of more help,but my suggestion would be to play
    before you pay if that is possible.

4. stevel

stevel Member

The 68s have reverb and trem available on both channels. The Vibrato channel is supposed to be the same as a TRRI (which only has verb and trem on the vibrato channel).

Since most players only use one channel (usually the Vibrato channel) the Normal channel is often wasted on Blackface style amps.

For this reason, the "custom" channel, with a different tone stack, offers a 2nd, different-sounding channel that gives another dimension to the 68 series.

That would be the decision-making factor IMHO - is he ever going to only need one tone, or is he into other styles where that 2nd channel might also be of benefit? Even if only the former, the 68 covers that base.

I'm 5'2" and play a TRRI. It's heavy, yes. But if I can carry it, anyone can. I made a rolling cart, or use a hand truck for long distances.

It is more volume than you ever need, which is good.

But as mentioned, there are some less expensive alternatives. Factors like overall tonal gradations, volume needed to play, portability, etc. should factor in.

I love my twin, and don't mind toting it, but I gig regularly too. I'd be OK with using it in the house if I didn't gig (just can't turn it up all the way, which doesn't bother me because I set a reasonable volume that sounds good and I'm happy).

If you gig, you have to be able to, or not mind toting it.

I did used to see a lot of people sell them - they loved them, but they were too big to tote around for the "casual" guitar player.

A Pro JR, or a Princeton Re-issue *could* be just as good - played clean at a reasonable volume.

Honestly, maybe if it were me, I'd budget for the TRRI, take him somewhere that has the whole line, and see which one he likes best. They all have slightly different characters, and they all break up at different volumes, so again, depending on what he's going to use it for, something with some "change" in it might be better - the beauty of a Twin is it doesn't really change that much - just gets louder - so you can get your tone at any volume (within reason). Some of the others have to be X volume to get Y tone, and that might not be practical. But again it depends on what you're looking for.

5. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

Wow, a masters in jazz guitar. That's incredible. I can only imagine the knowledge your son has. A TRRI is a great amp, but it is super heavy. Transportation, particularly up a flight of stairs is a burden.

6. tele_player

tele_player Member

I'd buy a TRRI right before graduation, at a place with a good return policy. Let him decide.

If he's serious enough about jazz to get a Masters, he probably wants a real Twin Reverb, not one that's modified to suit more modern rockers.

7. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

I lean towards the let him pick category. Give him a little modest gift but inside the box say something about, you pick the amp of your choice.

8. The Dirty Tube

The Dirty Tube Member

Yup, 100%.

A true Twin Reverb will cover jazz guitar brilliantly (as well as many other genres). The '68 Custom will be a passing phase of an amp, but the Twin Reverb is a true classic.

9. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

Let him pick. An amp and guitar are personal things.

10. The Dirty Tube

The Dirty Tube Member

Sure, and some choices are impossible to get wrong... like a Twin Reverb.

11. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Member

I've always heard how heavy Twins are. I just bought a '71 silverface and it's not as heavy as my AC30. I'm 40 years old and have no trouble moving them around. Just don't try to carry them by the handle for very long. Carry anything over about 40 lbs by hugging it to your chest. MUCH less stress on the back.

That being said, I also have a 68 custom deluxe reverb. I like the 68 CD series! The availability of trem and reverb on both channels as well as the different voicings is nice.

12. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

13. WorkinSteamin

WorkinSteamin Member

:worthless
    He's a big guy so moving it won't be an issue. Gonna be a Twin because he needs clean volume for the "big bands" and "big" band he play(s) with, a Soulive/Charlie Hunter kind of thing. I like the 68 for versitiliy. TRRI for straight ahead jazz. Still don't know.

:huh

14. stevel

stevel Member

I don't think you could go wrong with either. Unless he had expressed a particular interest, I'd go with the TRRI. One thing I find a bit suspect is that Fender is selling the 68 for less than the RI - makes me wonder that, even though it's more of a "two amps in one" than the RI is, they might be cutting corners with - something - it should realistically be more expensive all things being equal.

We just got a 68 Princeton and I have to say, it sounded great right out of the box.

So yeah - versatility versus "classic"-ness - can't help you decide there.

15. WorkinSteamin

WorkinSteamin Member

i think the 68 is MIM...

16. e???

e??? Member

Pretty sure the trri isn't made in the US either though. I'd go 68', not because versatility, but because it just sounds better to me. That whole line is awesome I think, and I don't like much new fender amp stuff at all.

17. WorkinSteamin

WorkinSteamin Member

Well I decided to go with the TRRI. He got it today after five days of FedEx limbo. He's ecstatic. Thanks you gus for all your helpful input.

18. custom53

custom53 Member

I still own a '74 Twin, which is not the most desirable one, but I like it.. Great amps, but as stated before, they are HEAVY..! And they should have had 2 handles, one on each side, instead of the single handle in the middle.

[​IMG]

19. WorkinSteamin

WorkinSteamin Member

We talked about the weight today. He admitted its going to be a bitch to get in to his Accord sedan. But he said it would be worth it.

:banana

20. stucker

stucker Member

My Twin weighs 85 pounds but has casters installed. I can stack my gig box and pedal board case on top and roll them all into most clubs with minimal effort! Lifting the amp into my SUV is the only real chore.