Which two? AC30; DC30; Marshall 2204

cardinal

So I've once again ended up with three amps but really would prefer have (money tied up in) only two:

'78 Marshall 2204 with an '81 1960a.
Vox AC30HW60 (the pretty fancy one)
Matchless DC30

Tone wise, I can make any of them work for whatever situation. The half stack obviously sucks to move but isn't a deal breaker. I don't use the Vox tremolo-thing, so that's a non-factor.

I have a sense that I should just move the DC30 since it's the easiest to replace?

ROKY

So I've once again ended up with three amps but really would prefer have (money tied up in) only two:

'78 Marshall 2204 with an '81 1960a.
Vox AC30HW60 (the pretty fancy one)
Matchless DC30

Tone wise, I can make any of them work for whatever situation. The half stack obviously sucks to move but isn't a deal breaker. I don't use the Vox tremolo-thing, so that's a non-factor.

I have a sense that I should just move the DC30 since it's the easiest to replace?
The DC30 is the most valuable one I would think .

JMMP1

Silver Supporting Member
I’d sell the Vox. The DC covers the same ground (?), and the Marshall is a classic sound that I enjoy playing through.

But I think selling either EL84 amp would be the most logical choice, as they’re the closest to being redundant.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
If I look to what I own, then the AC30 and Marshall. But the DC30 has been on my list for many years and I own a few AC30s so I could just as easily go AC30+DC30.

But if I were you, I would take all the time I needed to figure out which I never played and could live without.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Platinum Supporting Member
The Vox probably is the most expensive (the 60th anniversary repros are rather pricey), though it's probably close to the DC30.
Yeah the vox and DC30 are closest of the three; Man I would not give up the AC30HW60, thats a gem. So the DC30 is what I would do. You will still have the Marshall tones as well as the Voxy tones.

Rumors of War

Silver Supporting Member
Normally I think I would keep the dc30 and 2204, but that Vox sounds like it checks the boxes. 86 the DC30; you can always find another.

ProfRhino

imho, the Marshall is set, as it's unique.
between Vox and Matchless :
not exactly the same Vox, but I've had several chances to compare my own H2X to a DC30, in a relaxed setting at my studio, at any volume.
for my needs, the Vox always won, as it has the classic voicings. :cool:
doesn't mean I wouldn't love to add a C30 one day, they are fantastic amps in their own right ! :aok
but ymmv,
Rhino

cardinal

Thanks all. My head tells me that it's the DC30 because it's most redundant and the easiest one to replace if I ever want one back.

But because it's easiest to replace and have repaired without impacting its value, it's also the one I don't mind flipping on for a few minutes practice here and there or hauling out (assume such things are ever allowed again). Meh.

98G2PRU

I'd keep the AC30 and the Marshall, sell the other and get a Fender Custom 57 Deluxe for something completely different than what you have now.

+

cardinal

Interested to know more about your decision and the AC30 you have. Sent you a PM but your inbox is full.
i think I cleared the inbox. The AC30 is from a few years back when there was a UK-made torret board AC30/6TB or whatever you'd call it. It really does sound great. The DC30 is similar but brighter, quicker sounding. The Vox is nearly impossible to make sound bad, but the DC30 can be wrong-footed if the controls aren't set right for the speaker cab, IMHO.

Trending Topics