Which two? AC30; DC30; Marshall 2204

DiPa

Constant GAS
Platinum Supporting Member
i think I cleared the inbox. The AC30 is from a few years back when there was a UK-made torret board AC30/6TB or whatever you'd call it. It really does sound great. The DC30 is similar but brighter, quicker sounding. The Vox is nearly impossible to make sound bad, but the DC30 can be wrong-footed if the controls aren't set right for the speaker cab, IMHO.
That AC30 is the 60th anniv hand wired as you pointed out in the OP, keep that, my advice.

cardinal

So, at least some folks asked for an update:

The 2204 half stack is going nowhere. Beast of an amp. Obviously great at the crunch tones, but good at pretty much everything (clean, not quite clean, and metal with a boost). Goes KRANG instead of chime like the Voxy things.

Between the AC30 and the DC30, they're similar. I'll say that the EF86 channel is just not my thing, so I'm comparing the top boost sides here.

The DC30 I think I prefer for clean and not quite clean sounds. When letting cords ring out, the notes just hang in the air, swirling around and then swell like an organ. Incredible sounding. The AC30 kinda sounds like that too, but the DC30 is more exaggerated.

Problem with the DC30 IMHO is that when pushed into overdrive, there's just something unpleasant about it. Hard to explain what it was to me. I put a compressor in front of the DC30 and that seemed to sorta "fix" whatever it was, so maybe it's that the DC30 doesn't compress enough for me as it overdrives.

I play with pretty heavy overdrive a lot, so the DC30 is on the outs for me. FWIW I picked up an AC30HWX, which I immediately preferred to the Matchless for the same reason. It sounds brighter and tighter than the AC30HW60, but still sweeter than the DC30.

JKjr

Sounds to me like problem solved. As much as I play cleanish and would love to have a DC, parting with the driven Vox sound would not come easy to me. I have a residency at the basement ballroom, so my loud stuff (like my TBX and 50w) stay put away, but occasionally I push the little dawgs to the side and howl a bit. Great quarantine therapy for me, I'm not so sure about the neighbors.

cardinal

Sounds to me like problem solved. As much as I play cleanish and would love to have a DC, parting with the driven Vox sound would not come easy to me. I have a residency at the basement ballroom, so my loud stuff (like my TBX and 50w) stay put away, but occasionally I push the little dawgs to the side and howl a bit. Great quarantine therapy for me, I'm not so sure about the neighbors.
yeah. The AC30HW has a pretty good master volume. I installed a master volume on the AC30HW60 as well. For some reason the HW60 is fairly gentle at full volume but the HWX is brutal.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Wait, so you were trying to get from 3 amps to 2...

the keepers were the marshall and a vox...

and you ended up adding another vox??

that is so TGP, my friend!:rotflmao

cardinal

Wait, so you were trying to get from 3 amps to 2...

the keepers were the marshall and a vox...

and you ended up adding another vox??

that is so TGP, my friend!:rotflmao
Well, I really do want something I can use without it being 40 years old (2204) or sorta collectable (HW60) so I resigned myself to the new production Vox and relinquished a bass amp that I could stand to part with.

But yeah :(

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I really do want something I can use without it being 40 years old (2204) or sorta collectable (HW60) so I resigned myself to the new production Vox and relinquished a bass amp that I could stand to part with.

But yeah :(
i can see your logic.... i am even worse, as i have a couple of the anniversary ac30s too.

i picked up a vintage ac30, thinking i would sell the anniversaries - but they are so damn nice i now have 3 ac30s!

ProfRhino

The 2204 half stack is going nowhere. Beast of an amp. Obviously great at the crunch tones, but good at pretty much everything (clean, not quite clean, and metal with a boost). Goes KRANG instead of chime like the Voxy things.

Between the AC30 and the DC30, they're similar. I'll say that the EF86 channel is just not my thing, so I'm comparing the top boost sides here.

The DC30 I think I prefer for clean and not quite clean sounds. When letting cords ring out, the notes just hang in the air, swirling around and then swell like an organ. Incredible sounding. The AC30 kinda sounds like that too, but the DC30 is more exaggerated.

Problem with the DC30 IMHO is that when pushed into overdrive, there's just something unpleasant about it. Hard to explain what it was to me. I put a compressor in front of the DC30 and that seemed to sorta "fix" whatever it was, so maybe it's that the DC30 doesn't compress enough for me as it overdrives.

I play with pretty heavy overdrive a lot, so the DC30 is on the outs for me. FWIW I picked up an AC30HWX, which I immediately preferred to the Matchless for the same reason. It sounds brighter and tighter than the AC30HW60, but still sweeter than the DC30.
ime, the C30 feels stunning when driven, but the master volume needs to be dimed ! :dude
Vox styles and MV are a contradiction in general, they live in the power amp for the most part. :dunno

in fact, I actually prefer the Matchless at higher drive levels, but I'm into the Petty style, edge of breakup jangle myself, where the Vox has the more unique, classic voicing imho.

ymmv,
Rhino

Wagster

Silver Supporting Member

I'm curious, what rectifier are you running in the Matchless?

cardinal

I'm curious, what rectifier are you running in the Matchless?
It was the one tube rather than two. I've read that it's more relaxed with the two, but I'm not sure that was exactly the "unpleasantness" I was hearing, those tubes seem out of production, and since I preferred the Vox I didn't want to bother jumping down that rabbit hole.

cardinal

ime, the C30 feels stunning when driven, but the master volume needs to be dimed ! :dude
Vox styles and MV are a contradiction in general, they live in the power amp for the most part. :dunno

in fact, I actually prefer the Matchless at higher drive levels, but I'm into the Petty style, edge of breakup jangle myself, where the Vox has the more unique, classic voicing imho.

ymmv,
Rhino
Yeah, the C30 sounded way better with the master defeated than with it engaged. If I could consistently run these amps that loud, the Matchless may actually have won out. Not that the Vox sounds bad as it's wound up (it sounds glorious) but the DC30 is pretty spectacular on full blast.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
All of the answers I read are incorrect. This is The Gear Page, so the only correct answer is: Keep all three, and buy a fourth amp of your choice.

Wagster

Silver Supporting Member
It was the one tube rather than two. I've read that it's more relaxed with the two, but I'm not sure that was exactly the "unpleasantness" I was hearing, those tubes seem out of production, and since I preferred the Vox I didn't want to bother jumping down that rabbit hole.
Running two tubes is more compressed.

I’d sell the Vox. The DC covers the same ground (?), and the Marshall is a classic sound that I enjoy playing through.
Kinda-sorta-but-not-really(?), in my experience. Never gotten to play a DC-30, but I've heard quite a few very well mic'd and iso'd, and there's a very specific thing going on in there that I've never heard from a Vox. It's almost like an AC30 with little sprinkles of Plexi and blackface Fender in there – some of that Marshall zing, but also some of that Fender treble voicing, a little lower and chunkier than you'd get out of an English amp, but with the Voxy sparkle on top. Plus, it's presumably got the EF86 channel, right?

I'm absurdly biased here (check the plate voltage), because I just don't like Marshalls that much, but I'd keep the Vox and Matchless and move the 2204. You can keep the cab, if you think you'll ever need it, and I would be more confident that you could get another very similar-sounding 2204 than that you could replicate exactly that Vox and that Matchless. Haven't looked into prices lately, but surely there are a gazillion more 2204s out there than handwired AC30s or Matchlesseseses.

Trending Topics