Which Tyler?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by cr8z4life, Aug 5, 2005.

1. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

For those of you who know the Tyler line well, I am looking to add another. I have the classic s/s/s that I love!!

I now want to add another.....s/s/h to drop tune to Eb and cover from SRV to Van Halen on the bridge.....which model would be versatile enough to cover this??

2. journo

journo Member

Hi,

Try a S/S/H Classic with a rosewood board.

Cheers,

Mats N

3. cr8z4life

As far as I know he is not making the classic any more?? Do I want one with the mid boost option?? If he isnt making the classic which other model is best for what I want?

4. JPenn

JPenn Member

You can still get Classics as far as I know. I don't see any reason why an SE couldn't get you those tones though. You can get them with Klusons/Wilk vintage-type bridge if you don't think the Sperzels/VG300 will work for you.

5. miltwill

miltwill Member

If you've already got the classic I'd go with a Studio Elite. I personally like the mid-boost, and you can get a hard bypass put in to take it out of the circut if you are worried about it affecting the tone.

6. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

My Studio Elite HD is a rocker! It has a Duncan Trembucker in the bridge, I love it, it has PAF type gain, but no mid hump. Best strat for rock I've ever owned. It has Dimarzio singles, which I'm gonna replace, they're a bit bright for maple board.

Get the midboost preamp. I swear it turns a Strat into an LP, or as close as you'll come in a Strat.

7. cr8z4life

Thanks for the help guys! This sounds like the right one for me and I wont have the problem with the brightness because I like rosewood boards anyway.......is the midboost preamp strictly wired for the humbucker? I wouldnt want it for the singles

8. miltwill

miltwill Member

The midboost + singles is the best part. You can get the neck pick up to sound like a nice fat 335!

9. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    The mid boost affects all the pickups in its normal setup. It is a knob that can be rolled up to vary the amount of mid boost from none to full on. Even with it all the way down the signal still passes through the buffer giving the tone a bit of sparkle. Makes the guitar sound bigger. You can get it with a preset button that takes you from all the way down buffered with switch off to turning the boost on to the place where you have the knob turned. Or you can get a bypass button which takes the whole thing out of the circuit leaving you with passive pickup tone.

10. ChicagoFraize

ChicagoFraize Member

You could get the SE with a floyd for the VH stuff. He's also re-introduced a guitar called "Ultimate Weapon" that was displayed at NAMM earlier this year. Tyler's radius is something like 10 - 12 compound, maybe the UW is flatter?? Not really sure. If so, this one may be more geared towards shredding than the SE. Regardless, if you decide on an SE, the access to the upper frets is outstanding, and superior to the classic. The cut is deeper and allows you to get right up there. Best thing about Tylers, well one thing "best," is the comfy necks - smooth as buttah!!

CF

11. ChicagoFraize

ChicagoFraize Member

Excerpt from HRI:

Ok, here's the deal...

Ultimate Weapon + 6db boost = the "Sledge Hammer" according to Jim Tyler

All Mohogany body and neck
    Brazillian Rosewood fretboard
    Abalone dots
    6100 frets
    JB Trembucker bridge
    Duncan 59 neck
    +6db moded boost
    Slimmer neck not 59 shape
    back of neck is also painted but with satin finish
    Original Floyd Rose tremelo
    series/split/paralell switches for each pickup
    3 position toggle pickup selector
    Ferrari Red

The neck is so killer! Ultra fast without limit. The best neck I've ever played.
    Acousticly it chimes like a bell, pluged in MASSIVE this is the best lead sound that
    I have ever heard period. The clean sounds are equally as amazing. It also has more
    crunch than my Les Paul with 490T pickups! Yet I can use it with my Line 6 POD stuff
    no problem.

12. cr8z4life

I happen to love the 59 neck....I am not one for those thin shredder type necks.....and the floyd rose would be great for the VH stuff but I am afraid it would change the tones for the more bluesy and SRV type stuff.......this is one of those that I will have to try before I buy......you make it sound really good so it is worth seeking out......what dealer has them?

13. ChicagoFraize

ChicagoFraize Member

I have never seen or played the Ultimate weapon in person (the info posted is from another player). Maken' Music in Chicago usually carries a wide range of Tylers - I'd ask them first. I wonder if Jim would make an ultimate weapon with the 59 shape and flatter radius than the standard 59??

CF

14. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Can´t tell, i love them all :D
    I´d go for a Studio elite, SE HD , or a Huff ;)

15. MikeP

MikeP Member

What tonal qualities are changed/added with the hollow bodies?
    Thanks

16. miltwill

miltwill Member

Boutique Guitar Exchange in Atlanta has a hollow SE with a rosewood board that is one of the best playing Tylers i've ever come across. I didn't have a chance to plug it in, someone had already purchased it, however it sounded great unplugged. They also have a killer VST purple hollow classic that i spent some time with through a CAA OD100SH/SE. Great sounding combo. The hollow Tyler sounded wonderful. I personally don't feel the attack has changed much, but the guitar rings out more. It is just more resonant. It makes the guitar feel more alive, not dull. My next Tyler will definately be Hollow. Anywho... that's my 2 cents.

17. MikeP

MikeP Member

Cool milt
    That is the exact guitar I was wondering about.
    The vst purple hollow classic ;)
    I would not be able to play it first though.
    Thanks for your impressions of it.

18. miltwill

miltwill Member

MikeP,

If you are looking for that guitar Boutique Guitar Exchange in Atlanta has got it... and it rocks!

Here is the link to the pictures...

Hollow Classic VST purple

Talk to Rob, he is the man.

19. MikeP

MikeP Member

Thanks Milt
    Yes that is the guitar & the store that I meant ;)
    I was looking at what was available on the web & that one caught my eye.
    I play mainly blues so didn't reall want the active electronics.
    So I guess a Classic is closer to what I want. Although I do see some Elites that have no electronics. Maybe a Burning Water?
    Thanks again

20. miltwill

miltwill Member

Mike,

You can't go wrong with any of those choices. I have a Tyler classic that is my #1 guitar. I love everything about it, especially the neck. The Tyler neck to me is just a work of art. I really want a Studio Elite, but i'm saving up for a OD100. If i hit the lottery Jim Tyler's phone would ring pretty shortly after i received my winnings!