Which type of Marshall do you prefer? JTM or JMP plexi type

Sonic Reducer

Let's say mid 60's JTM or clones (Germino etc.) or late 60's early 70's JMP 50 watt heads or clones (Germono etc.)

Which do you prefer?

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by mjpisat
Let's say mid 60's JTM or clones (Germino etc.) or late 60's early 70's JMP 50 watt heads or clones (Germono etc.)

Which do you prefer?
JMPs

trisonic

My favourite is the '66 JTM45 but I am not averse to the JMP up to about '69 (I think).

Best, Pete.

C

carlygtr56

Favorite is a JTM-45/100

First Marshalls I ever tried were 2 '68 JMP smallbox 50 watt heads- they were awesome

Meterman,

I have to agree with you on the Emplexador. My favorite
Marshall as I posted earlier is the '68 JMP 50 Watter, but
I'm currently using 50 and 100 watt Emplexadors and they
do cover the JTM 45 to JMP 50 watt sounds plus some. The
'68 Marshalls have become too pricey and are more of an investment piece as opposed to an everyday workhorse.

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Like 'em both...
JTMs have more pristine clean tones, a little more in the Vox/Fender vibe. So, may suit a different range of styles.
For rock/blues-rock tones, it's hard to beat the overdrive of the right JMP.
YMMV...

John Phillips

JMP - it's the definitive Marshall, to me.

... although I also like the JTM50. Early '67 only, steel chassis, EL34, GZ34. The very earliest JMPs used exactly the same parts - including the PT - but with solid-state diodes for the rectifier, so they run at higher voltage (over the filter cap rating!) and sound incredible.

loverocker

Originally posted by John Phillips
JMP - it's the definitive Marshall, to me.

... although I also like the JTM50. Early '67 only, steel chassis, EL34, GZ34. The very earliest JMPs used exactly the same parts - including the PT - but with solid-state diodes for the rectifier, so they run at higher voltage (over the filter cap rating!) and sound incredible.
<Pedantry alert> :) Actually, the very earliest JMPs were electronically identical to the JTM50.

Back on topic... If I had to chose just one and for tone alone (no pedals), it'd be a JMP.

Kiwi

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by John Phillips
I also like the JTM50. Early '67 only, steel chassis, EL34, GZ34. The very earliest JMPs used exactly the same parts - including the PT - but with solid-state diodes for the rectifier, so they run at higher voltage (over the filter cap rating!) and sound incredible.
Bingo. This is the old Marshall sound I wanted. So Greg Germino built me one. Stock it's got a GZ34, but I can also run a 5V4 for more sag or a SS rectifier plug-in for way more stiffness and headroom.

Put me down for the JTM-50 sound (and feel).

Kiwi

IPlayHamers

My 72' 50 watt head is hands down the best sounding Marshall I have ever played, so it would have to be JMP for me.....:D

Trending Topics